The State of Affairs October 2017

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion The State of Affairs October 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Laser
    Participant

Thanks for the update, I have been wondering whats going on since its been a long time after previous update. Sounds like its worth waiting on, and hopefully we get more profiles quicker in the future.

Pearce32
    Participant

Ralf the direction you are headed with vorpx sounds great! Eagerly waiting for the update and new profiles! Thanks

prinyo
    Participant

One thing I hope finally makes into a release is adding an ini option to disable the “info” messages that are shown every time VorpX starts. Or just remove them. There is no value in them, but they annoy me to no end for 11 months now. I was hoping this would have been fixed in one of the smaller updates, but it hasn’t.

dellrifter22
    Participant

@prinyo: isn’t that already a setting you can toggle on the general page of Configure vorpX? “show vorpX start message”

Not sure as I’ve always kept it on. I find it useful to show me the resolution it launches with, that’s how I know my custom resolutions are applied.

prinyo
    Participant

No, they can’t be disabled. I’m talking about the message that the game supports DirectVR and I should run the scan and the other one that appears after the scan.
    The first one is driving me crazy all the time as it appears on top of the list of the saves in Skyrim and I spend several seconds staring at it trying to understand what purpose does it serve except to annoy. I understand that it is some form of hand-holding but even in the most aggressively hand-holding designs those types of tool-tips appear only once or twice.
    Reading the info about the planned updates I can see that there is way more hand-holding coming in the near future and I really really hope there is a toggle for it this time.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Ralf, a small request/question if I may:
    Would it be possible to further increase the distance limits for Cinema mode? Or is there a vorpX file I can change these limit values in?

I’ve been playing around in Cinema mode lately and often find times when I wish the screen could zoom out further for viewing wide videos, and zoom in closer for more immersive gameplay. Currently I can get close to where I want, but not quite (still seeing the top and bottom edges at max zoom). Perhaps doubling the current near/far distances would satisfy, and leave room for higher fov HMDs soon coming.

I’m trying to simulate head movement independent of weapon direction, and with a widescreen ratio wrapping around you in cinema mode, this kind of works. Just need the screen a bit closer.

Also, perhaps an alternate edge peek mode for cinema mode. I’ve yet to find the current lap style useful and much prefer the zoomed out 3D view – Ideal for watching cutscene moments. A secondary option would be a hotkey that toggles cinema mode on and off.

Maybe the new Immersive Screen mode coming covers these things, I’m excited to see what that adds. Thanks again!

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ dellrifter22: That’s a bit of a convoluted matter since the distance setting is shared between all scenes and the “Lounge” scene would look odd with very small/huge distance values. There is an internal scene specific multiplier however, so the other scenes already allow for a somewhat larger range. I’ll check how far that can be raised without breaking anything.

Xain
    Participant

Is Overwatch on the list of things that may work with this new version? Since I saw you posted that WoW should work.

dborosev
    Participant

I read somewhere that Ralf said he was releasing the next update in early? December, but I can’t find any mention of it. Anyone see that anywhere?

Ralf
    Keymaster

My actual words were “mid December if all goes well”, which is still the plan. Emphasis on “mid” and “if all goes well”.

dborosev
    Participant

Cool. Thx for the info!

morbidexpression
    Participant

Ralf, godspeed on the last leg of this update — the new features sound tasty and I can only imagine what a frustrating, maddening endeavor trying to remove the optimizer and make that stuff automatic for everyone with SO many different profiles to sort through must have been. All for a feature that new users won’t even notice despite years of complaints previously hahaha — well thanks!

Your product really added so much value to these early days of consumer headsets and DKs and was worth the $ several times over, I hope as it evolves you get a little more recognition and reward for all this work. The sneers about it on reddit are so obnoxious to me, “it HAS to be native support!” is very grating to hear in this era of little content and shallow shooting galleries. Giving us a way to experience a decent slice of our old game library in a new, surreal, and sometimes damn intoxicating way has a lot of value if you don’t turn blue at FPS locomotion. Especially with older titles you remember fondly, being inside these bizarre worlds of primitive 3D is such a potent nostalgia cocktail.

Any other profiles you managed geometry 3d support with? Witcher 3 and WoW sound absolutely perfect. Restoring it to ESO would be brilliant.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Those new optimizing features sound yummy. I’m using VorpX since DK2 days and it’s nice to see things getting easier and easier with each new release.

Laser
    Participant

So I have to ask but are things going well and still planning on “mid” launch or closer to end of year? (hopefully not 2018)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Due to unforeseen circumstances the relase unfortunately had to be pushed back to autumn 2032. Obviously just kidding, but it will take until next weekend, sorry for that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!