The State of Affairs October 2017

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion The State of Affairs October 2017

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Laser
    Participant

2032 still before Cyberpunk 2077 and Star Citizen so its cool. And better to always to get critical bugs out instead of publishing buggy mess.

dborosev
    Participant

Cool cool! A week or 2 isn’t a big deal. Just nice to know a ballpark, so thx.

prinyo
    Participant

No, they can’t be disabled. I’m talking about the message that the game supports DirectVR and I should run the scan and the other one that appears after the scan.
    The first one is driving me crazy all the time as it appears on top of the list of the saves in Skyrim and I spend several seconds staring at it trying to understand what purpose does it serve except to annoy. I understand that it is some form of hand-holding but even in the most aggressively hand-holding designs those types of tool-tips appear only once or twice.

OK, so it seems it is worse now. The messages still can’t be disabled, still appear for a long time (8 sec each) but the one that used to be shown after the DirectVR scan is now moved to when you start the game. So now I need to wait not 8 but 20 sec before I can start the game for them to go away. Very, very, very annoying. Please add an option to turn off those messages. Thanks!

prinyo
    Participant

Seems I was part wrong. The un-removable message about the experimental positional tracking is still shown every time after a DirectVR scan. I have found no way to disable it.
    So it seems there is a new message now shown at the start of the game. It seems familiar, but I’m not sure when it was shown before. The point is that there are now 3 messages that can’t be disabled and 2 of them are directly preventing the user from loading a save in Skyrim for quite a long time.

andybak
    Participant

@prinyo – have you posted in the wrong thread? At the very least this belongs in https://www.vorpx.com/forums/forum/technical-support/

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ prinyo: no message should keep you from loading a savegame. It’s perfectly safe to load a savegame and start playing before all messages are shown.

prinyo
    Participant

@ prinyo: no message should keep you from loading a savegame. It’s perfectly safe to load a savegame and start playing before all messages are shown.

That is if you see the name of the save. Which is impossible as the messages are on top of the saves list. So I need to wait for the messages to disappear before I can select the save I need to load.
    At some point of modding the game you need to start it using a specific save before loading your current one as it will crash if you continue directly. The messages – that do not present any new info and get annoying after the first 10 times you see them, just force you to sit and stare at them before you can do anything. It is now worse than before as there are now 2 of them.

prinyo
    Participant

Continuing the topic of annoying, impossible to disable messages attacking the player, there are 2 new added with the new update. Now when you enable or disable DirectVR with a keyboard shortcut there is a message shown telling you what you just did. I know it was enabled/disabled, I just pressed the button!
    How do I disable those?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll add an option to disable some less important messages in the next vorpX version. Probably not as an UI option, but you will be able to do it manually in an ini file.

Some sort of feedback is highly important though, especially for things like disabling/enabling Direct VR as the effect of that might not be immediately apparent. So I would highly advise against actually using that option when it becomes available. You’ll loose more than you win, trust me.

BTW: the pos tracking hint you wanted to disable earlier can be disabled in your C:\ProgramData\Animation Labs\vorpX\vorpX.ini by setting “bShowPosTrackingNotification” to “False”

prinyo
    Participant

Cool, the ini solution is perfect, thanks!

About the feedback – the message has no value in a real use situation (for me). If the user has decided to map the DirectVR switch to a button (which is not by default) then they have a use case in mind and activate it when they need it. And in those cases it is quite obvious if DirectVR is on or off.
    In practice the shortcut is needed when the control is detached from the player character (free cam or animations) and DirectVR can’t handle that situation which is immediately obvious by the fact that there is no more head tracking.
    For example one of my uses of this shortcut is together with a free cam. I have the free cam and the DirectVR switch mapped to the same key and whenever I feel like flying around or checking out different items or spaces around me, I press the button and everything works.
    For me this message is the same as a message that would appear every time when I press “w” to inform me that I have taken a step forward. However I do understand that there may be use cases that I’m not aware of where such a message has a meaning, that’s why I asked for an option to disable it (together with the other 3 similar messages).

Added:
    I understand some people will consider this a small problem, but I do believe the conventional UI elements are a bad thing for VR. I do use a HUD removal mod for Skyrim, I spent quite some time editing the ini files of FO4VR to hide as much of the UI as possible, I have disabled the Steam overlay completely so no popups for achievements, I did refund Mage’s tale because of it’s constant “Game saved” message that can’t be disabled. I understand different people have different priorities, but for me the flat UI elements and logic in VR is a serious problem. Just wanted to explain why I’m complaining so much about the messages.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!