First Aid: Using vorpX 0.64 with the DK2

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion First Aid: Using vorpX 0.64 with the DK2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

Here’s a little heads-up how to use vorpX 0.64 with the DK2.

Please be aware that things won’t look 100% right. Also head tracking does not work with the DK2 currently. Stay tuned, an announcement regarding more complete DK2 support will be made shortly.

1. The first thing you have to do is setting your DK2 to ‘Extend Desktop to the HMD’ using the Oculus Config Utility.

2. Then set your DK2 to portrait mode in the Windows monitor config dialog. It has to be rotated by 90°. This is very important.

3. Now you have two options: either set the Rift as primary display (most DirectX games open on the primary monitor), or try to force the output to the Rift through the vorpX config app (display/monitor group on the main page). The latter does not work for all games. You have to do one of these two things.

4. Make sure that the “Head tracking triggers vorpX” checkbox in the vorpX config app is UNCHECKED. vorpX will not work on the DK2 with this option enabled.

5. You might have to set the IPD (Interpupillary Distance) in the vorpX config app to a value slightly higher than your real IPD.

6. Also make sure that the games you want to play use the native resolution of the Rift (1920×1080 for the DK2).

EvanB
    Participant

What games work? So far I’ve got nothing working. Everything launches as normal on the monitor, I have it set to forced to Rift. Might be because I can’t seem to update to 0.64 as well :/

Ralf
    Keymaster

Try the other option mentioned above (setting the Rift as primary monitor). Forcing games to a specific display does not work for everything due to the way DirectX works.

PatriotofLife
    Participant

Hey Ralf, my Head Tracking isn’t working for my DK2. Is that the Vorpx software or is it something from my end.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is to be expected with the current version (see the original post). The fully DK2 ready update will be out shortly. Stay tuned.

jasonbaz
    Participant

Hi, I got this running with my DK2 and the image looks good, except along the outer edges of the screen there is a doubling of the image that is blurry. It’s as though there is a rectangle image that is correct, and around that is a mirror image of the edges. Any idea what that could be?

Thanks

Ralf
    Keymaster

That is caused by vorpX not knowing the right parameters for the DK2 lens distortion correction. The DK2 ready update will solve this. Stay tuned.

jasonbaz
    Participant

Thanks Ralf, will do. The image depth looks awesome. Shooting an arrow really felt as though it was moving through space. I’ll hang on for the update.

osyres
    Participant

Will it make a diffrent for the dk 2 support when a game don t have dx11 like factor 2 ? Or will vorpx support every game from dx9-dx11 ?

EviL FazZ
    Participant

So …how does one get and try VorpX 0.64 …because currently my installation of VorpX doesn’t do anything with my DK2 and there’s no way to even know what version of VorpX I’m currently running []?__?]

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you bought vorpX recently, you have version 0.64. The version number is displayed in the bottom left corner of the screen whenever you run a game with vorpX.

Regarding your main issue: first and foremost please make sure that vorpX Control (not vorpX Config) is running. It displays a tray icon in your taskbar. If you verified that, and still nothing works, please check the trouble shooting thread above thoroughly. Especially the part about programs that might interfere with vorpX.

Also please DISABLE “Headtracking triggers vorpX” in the config app. It is enabled in the screenshot you posted below. vorpX will not work on the DK2 with this enabled currently. It might be best to reinstall vorpX to reset everything to default.

If that doesn’t solve the issue, please send a mail with your system specs and the games you tried to support |at| vorpx com for some individual trouble shooting.

EviL FazZ
    Participant

Thanks again Ralf, I followed the steps and it’s working …sort of …changing the Orientation to Portrait or Portrait (flipped) does not work for me, as it actually plays in ‘that’ Orientation and not Landscape within the Oculus Rift DK2.

If I don’t change the Orientation, it ‘looks’ as it should, just with limited vision. About 60% of the centre is fine, but the anything beyond that is a little too distorted (anaglyph stereo colour separation). However, this maybe easy to fix, once the newer SDK 0.4.0 is supported, as I have a feeling it’s to do with the SDK’s eye calibration parameters.

Head Tracking doesn’t work at present, but again this is probably something you’re all working on right now, such as getting VorpX to work with the newer SDK 0.4.0 …right []?__?]

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not sure why portrait mode does not work. Head tracking does not work currently with the DK2 (see the original post above ;))

EviL FazZ
    Participant

I thought I might get the head tracking to work with a few of my 400+ games that don’t support Oculus in any form, but so far they look almost (a lot of side tearing) as they should (Stereo vision for Oculus), but of course doesn’t move as it should …yet.

I’ve had a lot of experience with adapting non-Stereo 3D gaming to actually work well in Stereo 3D using just a decent large Passive 3D TV and projector, so I understand the issues and just pushing it harder than I probably should right now.

The newer SDK seems simply enough to adapt to, but of course, it’s very different too, in a good way, I just wish DK2’s screens were higher in resolution, but I guess that’s next along with an even higher refresh rate (probably). I also think Oculus would do better with using LG’s flexible displays, allowing for a slightly con-caved display, giving better surrounding coverage. Costs of course and a whole new subject/topic.

Anywho, I double checked and yep, setting the Orientation to anything but Landscape won’t work. I hope this continues in my favour, as it’s easier for me to duplicate what the Oculus is seeing on other connected screens too. We shall see []?__?] …LoL

outofphaseicarus
    Participant

So I just recently bought VorpX, and it works pretty well, but the lack of head tracking with the DK2 is an absolute deal breaker. It’s just horrible without being able to use my head to look. It just doesn’t feel right.

That being said I know you must be working on a fix, but for 40 dollars, I think it’s safe to say that an update sooner than later is in order. What kind of time frame is projected before head tracking support is added?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!