Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    artura
    Participant

Hi,

I just want to share a workaround to get The Vanishing of Ethan Carter working with vorpX, which does not seem to be supported officially currently (it’s quite new).

It works out of the box without 3d, but you can get full 3d with a simple trick: make a copy of AstronautsGame-Win64-Shipping.exe and rename it to UDK.exe. When you start this UDK.exe you get full geometry 3d.

You should also do the following:

1. disable mouse acceleration in the game.
    2. set GlobalSystemCameraFOVAngle=150.000000 in AstronautsSystemSettings.ini in your My Games\The Vanishing of Ethan Carter\AstronautsGame\Config Folder.

Works quite nice this way except for some issues with reflections, which can hopefully be resolved when a profile for the game becomes available.

Trancer Spacey
    Participant

Cool, thank you! Let’s hope that Ralf will add this to the list. The ingame-screens I’ve seen are looking really good promising.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I will look into it. Seems to be a good fit for VR as far as I can tell from the first few minutes. Mostly exploration and a slow pace.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just a little heads up that a profile for the game will be added to vorpX shortly.

gustavor38
    Blocked

I find that this is the first game that make my stomach grunt after DK1.
    Something strange happens when i turn my head, i turn in 30 degrees and view turns 180 looking backwards.
    Is it a FOV issue?
    Can i change this behavior? How?

Ralf
    Keymaster

You have to adjust the head tracking sensitivity once for every game in the vorpX ingame menu (input page). Unfortunately it’s not possible to have a default value that fits everyone, since this depends on your individual mouse sensitivity.

gustavor38
    Blocked

The problem is that in my spanish keyboard there is no way to get vorpx´s menu. I press DEL but nothing appears….

icon485
    Participant

Ethan Carter and Alien Isolation! When this update is out i will buy vorpx !!! AMAZING ;D

JustinCase
    Participant

I’m on DK2 and playing Ethan Carter too.

I tried the settings suggested here, but they do not seem to “take”, as I cannot see the initial menu in the game and have no idea where to click. I get the “delete” menu up though, and 3d-reconstruction is not an option. Isn’t this supposed to work after having renamed the copy of the exe-file?

zorkwiz
    Participant

I’m also having some issues, though I’ve worked around some of the problems. It seem like since mouse movement on the main menu simply moves the cursor, that head tracking does not work to find the menu options, so you need to blindly use the mouse or gamepad to hit the New Game or Continue options.

I did get into the advanced setting menus (delete key) and reset my IPD, inverted the Y axis for head tracking and turned down the sensitivity quite a bit.

I am using the rift as my primary display, in extended mode, with VorpX set to “use system settings”

With a gamepad I can get into the game via the non-visible menu options and head tracking works though the vertical axis is inverted and sensitivity is very high by default. It does seem to show far less of the scene than in 2d mode. I played with the 3D options some, and the Geometry 3D mode looks good for the main menu screen, but may need some tweaking in game, as I was feeling quite fisheyed.

I renamed the exe to UDK.exe and changed the FOV setting in the ini to 150 as suggested.

Any other advice or setting you guys have used to get it working well would be great. This is my first real try using the vorpX beta, so forgive me if I’m missing something obvious.

beatet
    Participant

Hi,

I just want to share a workaround to get The Vanishing of Ethan Carter working with vorpX, which does not seem to be supported officially currently (it’s quite new).

It works out of the box without 3d, but you can get full 3d with a simple trick: make a copy of AstronautsGame-Win64-Shipping.exe and rename it to UDK.exe. When you start this UDK.exe you get full geometry 3d.

You should also do the following:

2. set GlobalSystemCameraFOVAngle=150.000000 in AstronautsSystemSettings.ini in your My Games\The Vanishing of Ethan Carter\AstronautsGame\Config Folder.

Works quite nice this way except for some issues with reflections, which can hopefully be resolved when a profile for the game becomes available.

I rename the copy of the exe to UDK.exe and I don`t get side by side screen (neither if I start the game normally with vorpx activated).
    Any idea?

Ash7
    Participant

Just a little heads up that a profile for the game will be added to vorpX shortly.

I’ve been holding off on playing this game to experience it in VR properly…
    So I’m wondering now how long “shortly” means? (it’s been 3+ weeks) lol! ;)

Ralf
    Keymaster

The next version will be available within the next 2-3 weeks. The game should work fine in unsupported mode already. You can also play it in full Geometry 3D by renaming the main .exe from AstronautsGame-Win64-Shipping.exe to UDK.exe

For the best experience please also do the following:

moarveer
    Participant

Glad to hear about the new update, thanks Ralf!

OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

when the update arrives will there be a changelog so we know which new profiles have been added?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!