Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    OculusRiftRocks
    Participant

what does the GlobalSystemCameraFOVAngle change do?, I have the option to set the FOV in the game to 120 anyway, so is changing the GlobalSystemCameraFOVAngle necessary?

baggyg
    Participant

Can anyone check for me whether the latest update of the steam version is still injecting properly? I installed it a couple of days ago and it simply does not inject no matter what I do. Tried pretty much everything (UDK.exe / adding Vorpx Desktop Shortcut). There is an odd DLL in the binary folder (EasyHook_64.dll). Makes me wonder whether somehow they are injecting into their own game which is blocking other injection attempts.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ OculusRiftRocks : Their FOV calculation is a bit strange. The 120 you can dial in in the options don’t look like 120 at all. Hence the 150 ini tweak recommendation.

@ baggyg : No problems here. Hooks just fine in 5/5 tries when started from Steam without any special tricks using the last release version of vorpX to make sure it still works with what everybody uses.

baggyg
    Participant

@Ralf thanks for responding. Very odd and frustrating. I can’t find anyone with the same problem so I think it must be something stupid I am doing. Here is a shot of the binaries folder:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqmJ69EehZ0RmVBZnBTcEVqaDA/view?usp=sharing

Can you see anything that shouldn’t be there? Is this the same as yours?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Looks perfectly normal except for the renamed udk.exe.

baggyg
    Participant

I played around with it tonight with some help from Steam Communities. The problem seems to be that even if I choose the 32bit executable, it always runs the 64 bit one. If I bugger around and actually replace the 64 bit one with the 32 bit one (renaming the executable), everything works fine.

I can’t remember whether vorpX supports 64 bit applications. The textures on the 64 bit one are far superior so if I could get this running that would be an advantage. Do I have to do something special to run a 64 bit app?

Ralf
    Keymaster

There should be a process named vorpControl64.dat in your task manager which starts automatically when you run vorpX. If that process is running, vorpX normally also hooks 64bit programs.

baggyg
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

Just checked and this isn’t running by default. All I have in the Task Manager VorpX related is:

vorpX VR Stereo Driver Control (32 bit)

I can see the file you mention in Program Files (x86)/Animation Labs/vorpX but looks as though it is not getting run. Any way I can force this to start?

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Ralf
    Keymaster

You can try to change the extension to .exe and start it manually. It’s very possible though that strange things happen when doing this, so I do not officially recommend it! I wouldn’t even be surprised if it refuses to start this way. Can’t remember currently.

Are you sure it’s not running already? May be only visible on the details tab of the task manager in Windows 8.

baggyg
    Participant

I tried creating a copy of the .dat and renaming to .exe. Running this has no effect – nothing is started in the task manager. I reverted back to normal and ran vorpX in the normal way. Here is a screenshot from the task manager:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqmJ69EehZ0OEx2ZldERkcxRnc/view?usp=sharing

I can’t think of anything particularly special about this machine. Its actually pretty clean as it is new and just used for Oculus stuff.

Anything else I can try?

P.s. Outlast also has this issue.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The 64bit process is definitely missing, why that may be the case I can’t tell unfortunately. Just checked it on two Win 8.1 machines to make sure there is no general Win 8 issue in this regard with the last release version.

If you use something else than MS own antivirus solution, disabling/uninstalling your AV program might be worth a try. Maybe also reinstalling vorpX, just to make sure the issue isn’t caused by a corrupt file. Not much else I can imagine apart from that.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Found it: You probably started vorpX with the “Run as administrator” checkbox checked, right? This disables the 64bit process for yet unknown reasons (probably a path issue when starting the process).

Running vorpX as administrator is hardly ever necessary. The only situation where this makes sense normally is playing (very) old games that require admin rights themselves. Might actually do more harm than good in most other situations.

One more thing: If you finally get it working, please be aware that there is no profile for the game yet. You can use the UDK.exe renaming workaround, but it will of course not be ideal.

baggyg
    Participant

Ralf you are a gentlemen and a scholar! Unset that and made sure non of the other processes were set to admin (Steam / Launcher) and now injecting fine into 64bit. Thanks very much for your patience and guidance.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Thank you for giving me reason to investigate this. Strange that it got unnoticed so long, probably caused some grey hairs for quite a few others too.

Issue is fixed, next version will also have proper 64bit support when run as admin.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!