vorpX 0.7.1 with initial DK2 support now available

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion vorpX 0.7.1 with initial DK2 support now available

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    T2k5
    Participant

I am absolutely sure the correct device is selected (Oculus Rift Devkit 2). I suspect the problem might be similar to the SteamVR situation, because it can see my Rift (log says Active HMD set to oculus.202QP7002FAC) and still throws the error after timeout. Reinstalling doesn’t help. Vorpx.log also says the Rift is found and after that that it was NOT found:

INF: VorpControl: Starting.
    INF: vorpControl: Rift found: Oculus Rift DK2
    INF: VorpControl: Starting.
    ERR: vorpControl: No Rift found.

tonyvn
    Participant

I was most interested in driving games, so I started with Dirt 3

No head tracking at all in the cockpit view.

Skyrim,

Works. But I am playing vanilla Skyrim with no FOV adjustments. It looks like everybody is in your face. But at least the tracking works. Positional tracking works but is VERY subtle.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You really should adjust the FOV, makes the whole experience a lot more realistic.

For racing games like DIRT3 I would suggest OpenTrack for head tracking, which works quite good. Not sure though whether its already updated for DK2. I would love to implement TrackIR emulation directly into vorpX, but that’s not possible due to legal reasons unfortunately.

tonyvn
    Participant

Adjusted FOV, it’s not bad…just not what it should be.

It will take some tinkering to get it right.

As for opentrack. No dk2 support yet.

It saved my bacon plenty of times with DK1.

Coupled with either vorpx or other 3rd party drives you can a lot of games working.

outofphaseicarus
    Participant

Hey Ralf, been playing a little Bioshock Inf and the 3d works but the distortion is all wonky. I’m not complaining, just wanted to let you know.

The view makes it seem like everyone is an inch from your face, and buildings look like you are looking through a funhouse mirror when you move your head.

It’s playable but it kinda threw me off. Still, really great work man, can’t wait to see the updates you have brewing.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Please make sure to set the FOV to a value around 120°. Doing so will provide a very natural looking image.

vorpX can help you with this in Bioshock using the Game Settings Optimizer in the config app.

If you haven’t done so until now, you definitely should check the documentation, especially the “How to get the most out of vorpX” guide. It has a lot of information about FOV and other things that are of interest when using vorpX.

exon00
    Participant

Can’t wait for Arma 3 support!
    Its the #1 game I want the Rift for.

sucaj
    Participant

Ralf, you say you aren’t able to implement TrackIR emulation – is there any reason you couldn’t implement an open-source TrackIR solution such as OpenTrack?

https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s not a technical issue, it’s a legal problem. Natural Point (TrackIR company) want to sell their hardware. They don’t allow usage of their API for anything else than TrackIR, which I can’t just ignore. Rather unfortunate, but unless they change their mind, there isn’t much that I can do.

PatriotofLife
    Participant

Hey, I have no idea where to post this so i’ll just do it here.
    When I use Vorpx with any video game, it doesnt calibrate correctly. Like the left screen is too far left so my eyes can adjust at all.
    Any fixes for this?

Ralf
    Keymaster

It may have to do with display orientation of the Rift. If you use Window 8, please check whether changing from “Portrait” to “Landscape flipped” or vice versa changes it.

The second thing to check whether games run with the native res of the DK2 (1920×1080)

And the third thing to check, whether you have selected an Oculus profile in the vorpX config app. If so, please set the option to “Do not use an Oculus profile” and dial in your IPD manually. Using a profile is currently buggy.

That’s all I can think of ATM.

bcozier
    Participant

Hey, I have no idea where to post this so i’ll just do it here.
    When I use Vorpx with any video game, it doesnt calibrate correctly. Like the left screen is too far left so my eyes can adjust at all.
    Any fixes for this?

Try pressing DEL in the game to bring up the Vorpx settings menu and reduce Image Zoom close to the lowest setting and see if that helps.

spvision
    Participant

I have emailed several times… i do not have original installer and my vorpx wont update past 0.6.4

can you advise

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sorry for the inconvenience. We received one registration request from you last Monday, which was answered instantaniously. Besides that we only received your original request in February, 2014, no other mail.

Please check your spam folder if you didn’t receive the activation key that was sent on Monday. I will also resend it right now, just in case.

If you reinstalled vorpX using your web installer last Mondey, you already have the latest version BTW.

spvision
    Participant

no i didnt because i could not find original installer… that is one of my issues.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!