Vorpx and it´s reputation around internet

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Vorpx and it´s reputation around internet

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

pls guys give me a definition .. of vorpx worth it .. i did all the rigth ajustement and i think the program is working well as it should BUT OMFG this is so horrible and the gameplay it gives OMG seriously .. you cant tell that you can enjoy playing a video game with vorpx i dont beleive you ..

Marco
    Participant

What game are you running? What’s ur specs? This way we (i) can get an idea of what u should get from that specific game.

tig3rmast3r
    Participant

If you see image distortion (“crystal ball effect”) while rotating yor head, the field of view is not set up properly. The actual lens distortion is done for ages by the headset runtimes themselves on perfectly sized render targets with the size and aspect that is suggested by the runtimes. This is true for both Oculus and Vive. None of it works like you assume it works.

thanks for clarification, as i said i’m not a developer so i don’t know how things works exactly, so distortion is done automatically and is just a matter of fov, that’s a good thing…. so basically i’ll be able to eliminate the crystal ball just changing fov value..i’ll test again bioshock infinite.

looking forward to see results…

thanks

tig3rmast3r
    Participant

Ok i’ve tried again bioshock infinite, it looks there’s no way to avoid the crystal ball because you can’t set the fov high enough even tweaking the cfg file manually (or using vorpx game optimizer that does the same). don’t know if setting other resolutions may solve the problem, maybe i should search for an aspect ratio tweak and do more tests,but i need to have fov configured properly when i’m at 16:9 resolution (so i can use DSR, see below)

i’ve changed game, time for deus ex human revolution, this time i’ve been able to see a proper vr, fov 120 (89 converted to vertical), also i’ve solved the pixel/aliasing mess, vive supersampling does not work, because it’s supersampled AFTER the game render (as it’s an injection), so only way is using nvidia DSR, i’m running it at 4k and it’s very good looking, thanks to the latest steamvr beta feature asyncronous reprojection i’m able to play it quite smoothly and it looks great.

Only drawback is the weapon/hands that are 2d.

it runs between 45 and 55 fps but direct mode is over 150fps, i don’t know if there’s a way to set the game fps higher. what is that direct mode fps exactly? Strange thing is that i have 45/55fps too without 4k resolution.

Tried turning off direct async in vorpx but my cpu usage goes crazy and i get no fps gain, turned off fluid as i get double images when i move the head, btw is a big step forward, hope to find other games where vorpx is fully functional like this one.

last note, i get sick after a few minutes with deusex, probably is too fast, there is a little delay with headtracking, but it’s not the problem, the problem is the player movement, will try again tomorrow morning when i’m fresh, i think is just a matter of getting used, i hope at least :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

Setting the FOV in Bioshock Infinite requires both steps that are described in the Game Settings Optimizer. You need to apply the Optimizer setting and also set the ingame FOV slider to the highest value.

This is one of the best first person shooters with vorpX. Even if you get motion sick actually playing fast shooters, the first 30-60 minutes of the game marveling at Columbia and the carnival area still are worth to invest a bit of extra time to get it right

tig3rmast3r
    Participant

found the fov issue in bioshock infinite, if i use 16:9 res i have to set “letterbox1” to keep the right fov.

my sickness is caused by low fps, if i disable 3d completely i run at 90fps and is much less disturbing.

i would like to play in a way that is currently not possible, use supersampling with vorpx and g3d, this is too much even if i’m trying relatively old games and i have a powerful brand new pc.
    it runs fine at 45fps but my brain doesn’t like it at all :(
    Hope some more optimizations will come in the future!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Using a letterbox mode should not be necessary normally in Bioshock Infinite. With the Game Settings Optimizer the FOV can be set to the full FOV without the need to use Image Zoom or a letterbox mode.

If that fails for some reason on your PC, you can change the FOV manually through an ini tweak, which is what the Optimizer does automatically normally. How to do that is described here:

http://www.pcgamer.com/bioshock-infinite-tweaks-let-you-skip-intro-videos-increase-fov-and-adjust-sensitivity/

tig3rmast3r
    Participant

not needed if you use the suggested resolution 1280*1024 you’re right.
    only needed if you want to use a 16:9 res (and i have to if i want to use dsr),
    btw thanks for the support you’re always kind with everyone.
    best

Marco
    Participant

Please someone correct this if i am wrong: i think you can play in 1920×1080 with no deformation of sort. You will have to keep the zoom to zero, keep also the original FOV of the game and you will lose a bit of vertical FOV (“stripes” on the upper and lower part of the screen). To make those band black and not having the “ambience” effect, you have to enable the Vorpx advanced options, then turn the “edge peek background” to black, things i reccomend to do with all games as the “advanced options” will enable the positional tracking in about all Geometry game.

To Ralph, can’t wait for the next Vorpx version. From these conversations you know better than anybody it’s time to focus on “plug & play”, as now that the VR offer is getting better and more variated, less people will be willing to “struggle” a bit with settings.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s pretty much what a large part of the current update is about which will introduce a new feature that allows automatic FOV adjustment and 1:1 head tracking (for now for about 30 games) at the click of a button from within the game in a reasonably sophistcated way. Like the Game Settings Optimizer this FOV calculation takes a game’s resolution and aspect ratio into account, but in addition to that also vorpX settings like image zoom, letterbox modes etc. In short: real time adjustable, perfect FOV under almost all circumstances.

There are limits to such things though. This will never work for every game and since it relies on hacking a game’s memory directly, new potential sources of error come with it. It will still be a great thing in many cases.

TBH I don’t think vorpX in general is that hard to get. The two really important things one needs to understand as a new user are that FOV and head tracking have to be adjusted once for every game and what options vorpX offers in this regard.

For a considerably large number of games (about 30 for now) that will become even easier with the next update.

grumdark
    Participant

I agree, most users starting with vorpx, have trouble learning curve.
    I can even see myself in the mirror when I read some comments, remembering when I started using the program.

The only problem with this is that some users, a completely erroneous vorpx what is capable in many cases printing, and final experience that may offer take, once you set properly for each game. Very different.

Sometimes, something as simple as a compromise between resolution,aspect ratio, Fov to avoid an image “eyeless fish/crystal ball” and no black band in pixel 1:1 except very specific cases,they are often a slope up for the general public.

I hope that the next update could significantly help here,and also in default native control.
    —————

I take my comment,only for a small suggestion Ralf:
    -I think that some expert options or all should be active by default,for the release of the new update,for example,separation 3d (strenght)/3d fov enhancement(in G3D),whether,not always necessary to use this in all games.

-Also recently discovered,to adjust a slightly lower value,in option of positional tracking-(strenght),reduces or largely avoids some unwanted effects,in normal headtracking.
    Personally,I would reduce only slightly the current value default for next update.
    It is only a small associated detail,which has been obtained in my case,a more natural experience with my headtracking.
    I can still get positioning, but I have reached a compromise to avoid unwanted effect on some natural movements, reducing this value only a few points.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The vorpX ingame menu already has far too many options. If anything, more options will be made expert options in the future, definitely not the other way around.

Keep in mind that many people don’t know a thing about what FOV, 3D Separation etc. are or how they work. If you read my last post above, you will see that tackling this is one of the major things currently being worked on.

tig3rmast3r
    Participant

Maybe a more detailed documentation of games current support level including g3d (with or without artifacts) and maybe hints if we have to disable shadows or set some graphic options level to a certain value (med-high) to minimize or avoid issues (in 3dvision for example in some games like Pinball Arcade or Dying Light, some shaders fix works only if the user has the same graphic option as the guy that did the fixes, sometimes even a different resolution breaks the fixes).

this would help a lot and has been asked several times over the last months, there is a community sheet but is not detailed, some “green” g3d support has lot of artifacts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nD_HyS8v_zKf9MZ3OYVpdnKAJBeMycGTgFmaJ639Oyg/edit#gid=0

batman arkham city for example works fine but shadows must be disabled and still there are minor artifacts, i don’t know if there’s a way to remove them changing options unless i try each combination, we can do it obviously but a well done list will saves us a lot of time.

thanks

Ralf
    Keymaster

If people are willing to create replacement shaders like the community does for the nVidia driver, I’m all ears. I could certainly provide a way to load shader replacements. But something like that only really makes sense with a community like the one that exists for the nVidia driver.

tig3rmast3r
    Participant

Honestly i thought you had already fixed 3d elements for vorpx tweaking shaders in some games…

bioshock infinite had lot of issues in 3d without the 3dmigoto or helix fix, so i thought you did the fixes too in order to get artifact-free g3d in vorpx.

would be great, maybe once the community grows we have the luck to get some guys like the ones at helix team that have the knowledge to make it happen.

anyway as i said already, IMO in order to get a good vr experience (expecially in vorpx) there’s also the need to use larger resolutions ingame and/or powerful AA, this combination kills every GPU avaiable right now, this game->vorpx->vr chain is much heavier than 3dvision and needs more fps too.

Latest Async Repropjection in steamvr did magics to games, i nearly doubled performances with no visible performance drop (at least when i move the head).
    Don’t know if this can be applied to Vorpx, it looks that the OpenVR driver is not doing much job when vorpx is running, i don’t know where is the bottleneck (probably it’s just the game itself), and if it can be optimized further by some tweak in the code, i hope that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!