When can we expect an update?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion When can we expect an update?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    doc
    Participant

I’m not a consumer.

Im really excited to see what 11 games will be added. I really want to have support for Titanfall.

Im Sorry, clearly i was mistaken.

PatriotofLife
    Participant

Nope. I’m just patient.
    Nice deduction though Sherlock.

PatriotofLife
    Participant

Patience:
    The capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.

Yes, its a real word.

JackDT
    Participant

Ralf, from one developer to another: small, timely updates keep the community interest in your software high.

We should all be here to talk about how awesome VorpX is, but instead, it’s been 9 months since we had even a minor update, and we’re all on the spectrum of impatient and pissed off.

it’s not just DK2 support people are impatient for – it’s all of the small features and everything that has been promised. You’re bundling too many features into each update. From what I’m reading, this update will include DK2 support, DX11 geometry support, lots of setting changes, fixed shaders in Skyrim, an automated licensing solution, and probably more that you haven’t mentioned. That is just NUTS. Hell, I’d be happy with the letterbox rendering changes only, which were supposedly resolved 4 months ago. Why do I have to wait for DK2 support for that fix? You’re trying to be Internet Explorer when you should be Chrome. Change your dev cycle to release small features silently and very often. It minimizes risk for you, keeps your community engaged and happy, and shows that you are constantly working on our investment.

I’m looking at purchasing VorpX and the fact that the last update was so long ago was what made me hold off. A history of updates on a steady tic is totally what inspired confidence in a purchase — even if the updates are very small.

Alternatively an unstable branch that showed changes over time would have probably sufficed.

This probably makes your development life a tiny bit more complicated in that you’d maintain a separate branch for the biggest changes, but as someone who started doing that in my own stuff I’ve found that the extra discipline and organization this imposes is actually improving the final output of my work.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Here you find everything you want to know in regard to the upcoming changes:

VorpX Update to Add Oculus Rift DK2 Support and More – Skyrim Positional Tracking Demo (video)

natethomas
    Participant

Hey Ralf, I logged in specifically to commiserate with you. It sucks being pulled away from developing to have to continuously answer questions from people.

A suggestion, once things are built up a bit and you have a second to breath, is to pull in somebody from the community who will mostly understand what you are saying, and have that person be the spokesperson so you don’t have to waste your time nipping each of the threads like these in the bud. Obviously, no rush to do yet another thing now, but having someone else to answer all these threads and trawl reddit for you will probably save you a fair amount of time in the long run.

lthompso333
    Participant

I would 2 additional licenses right now just to have whatever untested version was used for the Skyrim Demo.

PatriotofLife
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>graylyn wrote:</div>
    I’m not a consumer.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>graylyn wrote:</div>
    Im really excited to see what 11 games will be added. I really want to have support for Titanfall.

Im Sorry, clearly i was mistaken.

This made me laugh way to hard.

graylyn
    Participant

Ralf, I would like to apologize for this topic. I am overly excited for your update and let myself get a little too aggravated/irritated. As one developer to another, I wish you the best of luck with your development of Vorpx and I look forward to your next update!

Iristrauma
    Participant

Hi Ralf

I just purchased a copy of Vorpx in eager anticipation of the new release relating to Skyrim. I drool at the thought of running round Skyrim modded to hell and back with HD textures and a bazzilion mods, all running at 75fps using Vorpx and my DK2. (I have a nice fast pc)

Dare I ask what timeframe we looking at a release. Days or weeks? Eitherway its great news you sorted geometry based rendering, and head tracking. Looks amazing fun.. Cant wait to try it..

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ graylyn: No need to apologize.

@ Iristrauma: I can’t be more specific currently than “as fast as possible”. More specific news will follow shortly. Stay tuned. Please keep in mind that we probably don’t have our DK2 any longer than you have yours. Thanks again for your patience.

GDShadow
    Participant

Any news yet about the new update?
    Or at least a timeframe would be nice.

wishman
    Participant

Would it be fair to ask if we will hear anything by the end of August? I’ve got my DevKit 2 now and cannot wait to play Outlast on it. I’ve been saving that game up to scared the crap out of me.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Dhe DK2 ready update will be released as fast as possible. Please keep in mind that we probably don’t have our DK2 much longer than you have yours.

As soon as there is anything else to tell, it will be published here. Thanks again for your continued patience.

Your vorpX will automatically update when the update becomes available.

superkev72
    Participant

Hi Raif – The video you did with Skyrim and the DK2 looked great. I’ll probably purchase vorpx when you release it to test with my OR DK2. As a developer I completely understand its difficult to both develop and respond to impatient fans. I’m sure it’s not like you need or want any advice at this point but I’m going to throw some out there anyway. One way to placate your fans (short of a release) would be to spend a couple of minutes blogging about the challenges and progress. Takes 5 minutes and people get to vicariously take the journey with you to some extent. It’s far more efficient than responding to forum posts wanting release dates. Just my .02c. …And to those who have been wanting smaller releases this sounds good in theory but developers are often ‘wary’ of minor releases but they have to be concerned about the installer and upgrade installs and if files are not closed etc. Lots of little releases can potentially cause all sorts of support headaches. One way around this is to architect your primary memory resident executable so you can encapsulate more of your updated minor features within that one file. That way the update process has little that can fail.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!