Any chance of a non VR version of Vorpx now that 3d vision support is dead?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Any chance of a non VR version of Vorpx now that 3d vision support is dead?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    RJK_
    Participant

@chtiblue thanks for the link, looks like i am a bit behind in time ;-)

@zig11727
    I meant it the other way around, not displaying a game through 3d-vision on a Tv, i meant displaying vorpx SBS on a 3D-Vision monitor with inbuilt emitter. I dont think EDID cant do that, does it ?

zig11727
    Participant

@RJK_

Ok I understand

Most 3D Vision monitors only support Frame packing but LG or Samsung 3DTV would have no problem displaying Vorp X SBS image in 3D.

zig11727
    Participant

Yes the 3D effects are better using Helixvision but it’s a pain in the a** to get working and it’s only equal to cinema mode.

Also Helixvision requires 3D Vision support which isn’t supported any more by NVidia The user’s have to hack the drivers or use older drivers 425.XX and block Windows drivers updates via Group Policy when using Windows 19XX.

RJK_
    Participant

Today i read the first time of “Helixvision” – I dont believe this, while VorpX already has almost 800 games that we can play right now, someone is wasting time in developing another VR Driver. Have they never heard of VorpX ? Rediculous ! Or did i get something wrong ?

zig11727
    Participant

@RJK_

According to dev for Helixvision this is a test run to see how much interested would be generated by a cheap program his main goal would be a program to create a 3D Vision type program similar to Tridef 3D the software wouldn’t require Nvidia 3D Vision drivers and would support Vulkan and DX12.

The dev is one of 3Dmitgo team tools for 3DVision, shaderhackers

RJK_
    Participant

@zig11727

One of the guys mentioned a few years ago he wanted to go his own way when i spoke about vorpx. Looks like this is happening now. Their steam page says “VR Headset” required, i think it would be smarter to program a 3D-Vision Driver replacement instead of a another VR driver.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I know I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again now that it sounds like there are a lot more people interested in it: This is a market you should tap. There are so, so many games I would simply prefer to continue to play in traditional stereoscopic mode, and you’ve got like 90 or 95% of the work already done here with vorpX. I know there are even instructions floating about on how to create profiles for using vorpX on traditional stereoscopic displays. Many titles I play just won’t translate well to an HMD (lots of keyboard use, for example), and besides, it just so much more relaxing to kick back and play DAO or something like that on a 3D screen, not an HMD. Plus, even the highest pixel-density HMDs really aren’t all that sharp compared to what you can do on a flat-screen 3D display (where you don’t have to fill your entire field of view). It’s just the kind of win-win situation that would fill the void left by Tri-Def and nVidia. Sure, there is SuperDepth3D, and for what it is that is a pretty amazing little shader, but ReShade itself doesn’t even work properly when it detects network activity, so that’s a big problem right out of the box. Then there are the advantages that come with playing on a flat 3D screen rather than full VR, like better tolerance of low frame rates. I enjoy vorpX in the few titles I currently use it for, and it’s a good solid product from what I can tell, but I can see a lot of upsides to supporting the traditional 3D gaming crowd and I sure hope you reconsider doing so!

Ralf
    Keymaster

There is a ‘Generic 3D Display’ device since vorpX 20.1.0 that outputs a side by side image to ease your life in that regard. The next build will address a few remaining issues, most importantly OpenGL not working yet. Be aware though that the ‘Generic 3D Display’ mode is not officially supported. vorpX is built for VR, consider SBS an unsupported freebie.

Burni
    Participant

The only thing thats missing for NV 3D Vision is an option for normal colors instead red/cyan anaglyph and turning the emitter (for the shutterglasses) on.

Is it possible to turn the emitter on without starting 3D Vision?

I have a Asus 3D Monitor with built in 3D Vision emitter.
    If I can do any tests or help to progress this Feature – just say it.

Cheekyfella
    Participant

I have been using the Generic 3D Display setting on a 4k Samsung TV and I am really happy with the results. I also have Tridef and I have compared it to Vorpx and I would say Vorpx is the option I am going to use going forward. I hope Ralf can officially support the Generic 3D Display and get Vulkan and OpenGL working.

Ralf
    Keymaster

OpenGL will come to the Generic 3D Display mode with the next regular vorpX update 20.2.0. Stereo 3D is still limited to fairly old ‘fixed function’ OpenGL though. Maybe someday I’ll tackle newer, shader based OpenGL too. It’s at a point now where starting with that might make sense, but don’t hold your breath. Time has to be spent wisely, and there is always something that seems more important.

Grocs
    Participant

Thanks for the update Ralf.

Burni
    Participant

The only thing thats missing for NV 3D Vision is an option for normal colors instead red/cyan anaglyph and turning the emitter (for the shutterglasses) on.

Is it possible to turn the emitter on without starting 3D Vision?

I have a Asus 3D Monitor with built in 3D Vision emitter.
    If I can do any tests or help to progress this Feature – just say it.

No one knows about this? :(

deathorb
    Participant

so you have 3D vision working without having to downgrade drivers? How the hell do you manage that? Will the emmitter just work if Vorpx is setup correctly? Plesae let me know!

RJK_
    Participant

The emitter is not fired by VorpX and VorpX only provides side by side images. You would need a monitor or TV that supports side by side.3D vision hardware cant be used with Vorpx.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!