DLSS 3 Frame Generation

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion DLSS 3 Frame Generation

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    DanThePman
    Participant

Im curious if there is any news in getting frame generation to work with vorpx because besides dlss 2 it is a convenient way of achieving the high frame rates that a vr headset needs.
    It also removes the cpu bottleneck in badly optimized games so it would be beneficial if there is a possibility to make it work in the future.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I’m curious to hear more also. My tests so far make it appear to me as if there is no depth map in the generated frames. At least, so far in my tests the generated frames cause depth to go to zero, so the scene will flip continuously between stereoscopic and flat (making it unusable for anything doing stereoscopy). Hopefully this turns out to be something that is not inherent in DLSS 3, but rather an issue with the current software available to produce stereoscopy.

DanThePman
    Participant

Thats an interesting find however I also like playing without any 3d reconstruction at all.
    Maybe its possible to at least add dlss 3 support for plain 2d and geometric 3d mode.
    According to this post by Ralf (https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/vorpx-is-it-worth-it/#post-104956) geometric 3d uses 2 individual cameras so if Im not mistaken a depth buffer is not needed.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

Thats an interesting find however I also like playing without any 3d reconstruction at all.
    Maybe its possible to at least add dlss 3 support for plain 2d and geometric 3d mode.
    According to this post by Ralf (https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/vorpx-is-it-worth-it/#post-104956) geometric 3d uses 2 individual cameras so if Im not mistaken a depth buffer is not needed.

That would indeed be great. If that’s true, the DLSS3 frame generation would help offset the performance hit that comes with G3D. Downside, however, might be that the vast majority of modern titles just don’t work in any meaningful way with G3D. (Many rendering issues with shadows and lighting, other effects, even ambient occlusion. I’ve seen only a tiny selection of mostly-older titles that work well enough with G3D to use, and even those have some issues to surmount. This was true for other G3D solutions like TriDef towards the end. I think most modern game engines simply use rendering methods for eye-candy that makes them woefully difficult to produce good G3D profiles.)

I would be all for it if Ralf has magic he can work, but I get the feeling it’s an extremely difficult thing.

roman666
    Participant

Hi !
    With DLSS 3 coming out in few days with the new 4000 RTX GPU, i was wondering if it should work out of the box for VorpX, or if the interpolated frame generated by the IA between each real frame could messup something ?

DanThePman
    Participant

Hi !
    With DLSS 3 coming out in few days with the new 4000 RTX GPU, i was wondering if it should work out of the box for VorpX, or if the interpolated frame generated by the IA between each real frame could messup something ?

Dlss 3 is already available by the rtx 4090 and 4080 cards and is supported by a handful of games.
    I assume you refer to the release of the 4070.
    The witcher 3 didnt work with directx 12 for me using vorpx so the only game I could test with frame generation support so far was plague tale using the cloud profile of the user xray3.
    After enabling it the game immediately quit even though I disabled any 3d reconstruction.
    I used the beta version of vorpx (23.1.0).
    Havent tested G3D.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

OK, not all of these are tested through vorpX at this point but I’ve found the following thus far:

1) In Witcher 3NG there is no depth in the generated frames at all – OR the depth is there but something else need to be tweaked before it will work. Every generate frame goes flat. (ReShade method.)
    2) In Hogwarts there IS depth in the generated frames, however something will need tweaking before it is really usable as it causes significant issues with the halo artifacts. (ReShade method.)
    3) Cyberpunk – Untested at this point as the moment I turn on frame generation the title crashes – most likely due to the vorpX Cyberpunk mod. I plan to try testing that soon another way.

But the good news is that Hogwarts shows that if the issues with the halo artifacts can be resolved then it will likely be possible for this to work. Still have the HAGS issues to deal with as well of course.

DanThePman
    Participant

But the good news is that Hogwarts shows that if the issues with the halo artifacts can be resolved then it will likely be possible for this to work. Still have the HAGS issues to deal with as well of course.

Thats interesting. Unfortunately I couldnt get vorpx to inject into hogwarts legacy. I tried all cloud profiles as well as the Grounded profile but the game crashed everytime.
    Did any game run with vorpx and frame generation enabled for you or did it crash as soon as you enabled frame generation?
    I would also like to know whether dlss 3 works when using no 3d reconstruction at all (no z3d, no g3d).

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

@DanThePman & @Ralf (boy I wish those tags actually worked normally in this forum!) I managed to get Hogwarts Legacy to work. I put the solution that worked for me in this thread: https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/howgart-legacy/

I’ve played with the DLSS3 Frame generation quite a bit (mostly flat, no vorpX, no Reshade), and the results are *fantastic*. Now that we know depth is at least nominally functional (see my findings with Hogwarts above) lets all hope that Ralf can make vorpX compatible with it. It’s much more clear than the intermediate frames generated by PiTool (don’t know about other methods) and it doesn’t cause ghosting like vorpX does on fast movement when vorpX is set to run below the HMD refresh rate.

DLSS3 Frame Gen compatibility would *absolutely revolutionize the vorpX experience* and I for one very much hope it’s something Ralf can get working.

DanThePman
    Participant

To reiterate this topic it is possible to use both dlss 2 and frame generation at any resolution with vorpx’s latest beta version (version 23.1.0).
    However one has to use the new desktop viewer with it instead of injecting into the game.
    Furthermore some settings tweaking is needed for a smooth experience.

Here are the steps needed:
    1. Launch Nvidia control panel and enable vsync globally
    2. Inside the control panel also set the frame rate limit to your headsets refresh rate (e.g 90hz)
    3. Launch vorpx desktop viewer
    4. Disable the vorpx injection watcher
    5. Start the game

A more detailed description can be found here: https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/vorpx-23-1-0-beta/page/9/#post-215678

As a side note using dlss 3 is more valuable than pitool’s frame interpolation or oculus aws because it produces clearer images and is solely calculated on the gpu instead of the cpu.
    So in case you are running into a cpu bottleneck then dlss 3 is the way to go to achieve 90hz+ vr.

gellu
    Participant

Hi, can you give more detailed steps how to
    Make it work, it seems like I missing something.
    So I ran virtual monitor with disabled watcher, it ran apparently with frame generation enabled. But it was just flat screen with no 3d reconstruction and no gestures, I could’ve set monitor from cinema to fullVr, but picture would be still flat. Do I need to do something extra or that is how your workaround supposed to work in first place?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!