Possible to increase 3D strength beyond 5.0?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Possible to increase 3D strength beyond 5.0?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    zahncisten
    Participant

Dragon Age Origins has perfect depth (orzammar is incredible for understanding the perception. It looks awesome). I play all games in Cinema mode due to a balance condition (I’m dizzy all the time, so I need stationary things to keep steady, and cinema is perfect for that). I just finished Alien Isolation, that was incredible, and the depth was great. I’ve tooled around with Metro 2033 (not Redux) and the depth is spot-on. Skyrim is always a solid. Oh, and Mass Effect 3 (I haven’t played 1 or 2 with VorpX). The G3D is stunning. I’ve used VorpX for a few months now, and I love it. I use it every day (I’m not kidding), it really is great. If you think you are seeing things flat and you think it may be your HMD, definitely try newer hardware. I’d do that before I started thinking VorpX needed to be way different for my peculiar use-case.

dimensionaldude
    Participant

Dragon Age Origins has perfect depth (orzammar is incredible for understanding the perception. It looks awesome). I play all games in Cinema mode due to a balance condition (I’m dizzy all the time, so I need stationary things to keep steady, and cinema is perfect for that). I just finished Alien Isolation, that was incredible, and the depth was great. I’ve tooled around with Metro 2033 (not Redux) and the depth is spot-on. Skyrim is always a solid. Oh, and Mass Effect 3 (I haven’t played 1 or 2 with VorpX). The G3D is stunning. I’ve used VorpX for a few months now, and I love it. I use it every day (I’m not kidding), it really is great. If you think you are seeing things flat and you think it may be your HMD, definitely try newer hardware. I’d do that before I started thinking VorpX needed to be way different for my peculiar use-case.

I have Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect 3, and Metro 2033. I’ll test those in the next couple days when I get a chance. I’d like to ask more specifics if you don’t mind:

-What screen distance offset setting do you use?
    -What aspect ratio do you use (4:3 / 16:9, etc.)?
    -Any other tweaks you recommend for them, like custom FOV, etc?
    -If you don’t mind sometime, pick a game you think has good depth, and temporarily decrease the screen distance value and look at something close to you. Does the depth seem lower at all?

I’ll assume you play with a screen depth of 3.0 or less for all them.

And hey, you don’t need to convince me VorpX is great software. It’s the entire basis of me wanting to upgrade my VR set. I just want to get this one aspect ironed out and I’m halfway to heaven.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I just checked AC:Unity for you to be extra sure I don’t tell any nonsense here. With default settings (not even tweaking FOV) it is no problem to make the world look a lot smaller than real by setting the 3D-Strength to the max, even with the screen moved closer. Which means there is “more depth” than you would see if you physically were in real Paris looking at it with your own eyes.

If you raise the FOV to account for the screen being ultra close to your face, that’s even more the case.

To get a realistic scale/depth (remember: both are the same thing), you do not need more than the 5.0 max depth in this situation, in fact you need less. Again: that’s how stereo vision works. It’s math, physics, whatever you want to call it. It’s not opinion, taste or anything even remotely close to it.

If realistic scale/depth is your goal, it’s no problem at all to achieve that with the available range in this game with your tweaked FOV and screen distance.

Stryker_66
    Participant

Wow this post has derailed from it’s original intention. This is not about campaigning to who’s right, ego is getting in the way. This is simply about having an option to satisfy a preference. I am on a CV1 headset and I would appreciate having a little more 3D strength. If it cannot be done, just leave it at that. There is nothing here that is objectively beneficial.

dimensionaldude
    Participant

I just checked AC:Unity for you to be extra sure I don’t tell any nonsense here. With default settings (not even tweaking FOV) and just moving the the screen closer it is no problem to make the world look a lot smaller than real by setting the 3D-Strength to the max. – which means it has “more depth” than you get in reality.

If you tweak the FOV to be higher to match the screen being ultra close to your face, that’s even more the case.

To get a realistic scale/depth (again: both are the same thing), you do not need more than the 5.0 max depth in this situation, in fact you need less. Again: that’s how stereo vision works. It’s math, physics, whatever you want to call it, it’s not opinion, taste or anything even remotely close to it.

If realistic scale/depth is your goal, it’s no problem at all to achieve that with the available range.

Thank you for checking on it, but listen, let’s be logical:

We both our have our own perceptions of what is real, we see 3D every day in our lives. If a person or apple or whatever is in front of me, I know about how much depth it has, etc.

Yes, of course this is all based on math. So if one person is seeing something with the same settings and says it’s way too flat, and the other person sees it and says it’s perfect, that means there is an EXTRA VARIABLE involved. It could be me having a DK2 instead of a CV1 is the problem (I hope it is). The fact that 5.0 depth is BARELY on the edge of correct depth to me says something is obviously different on my end. Believe me, I’m GLAD to find out if it’s a special issue on my end that can be remedied.

In other words 2 + 2 always equals 4. However 2 + 2 + X does not always equal 4. I’m trying to determine what’s so different on my end that 5.0 is at the very edge of acceptability on my VR set. Again, I’m hoping it’s my headset itself.

Ralf
    Keymaster

As explained about five times the current max. is set not because I want to annoy you, but because you get split images with nearby objects before even reaching that limit. I sympathize with you wanting “more depth”, that just makes no sense at all. Neither in regard to realism, nor – more important – technically because the max is already beyond what works.

You can probably imagine that otherwise the limit would be raised immediately just to end this discussion. That just makes no sense.

That’s the answer I can give you. I explained in great detail and with great patience the reasoning behind this several times. Even tested one of your games for you, which works perfectly fine. That’s all I can do.

zahncisten
    Participant

All things aside, as you yourself say, it may be the HMD. Thus, it sounds like you may need to try the hardware and then you can have a better position to make an assessment.

dimensionaldude
    Participant

@Listen, I’m sorry to have taken up so much of your time. You’ve made it clear what your stance is. I really hope it’s just an anomaly on my end.

All I can say I’m having situations like this in multiple games:
    Vertical and Horizontal Scale = perfect
    Screen size = perfect
    Depth = clearly looks a little too flat, compared to reality all around me.

You obviously haven’t run across anything like this in your testing, so we may as well be speaking different languages. From your perspective, you’re seeing the sky as blue and I’m saying it’s purple. Don’t let me waste more of your time on this, I’ll just say I can’t deny the reality of what I’m seeing and I hope it’s just an HMD issue.

@zahncisten

Could be, but please post some of those settings if you can find any, it would be very helpful for my testing.

@Stryker_66

I’m just trying to get a good image. I think Screen Depth is the answer, but since that’s not an option, I’m exploring other options. Since you have a CV1 and also have depth issues, maybe you can give me some notes on games you have issues with that I could compare with. I was going to private message you, but I don’t think that’s an option for these forums.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Trying one last time. I’d really like you to understand that since then you could stop chasing the impossible: scale and depth are inseparable linked to each other, they are very much the same.

There is no such thing as correct scale with wrong depth. If scale looks right, depth is right. Cold math/physics. That really simply is how stereo vision works. In VR, in reality, everywhere. Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but you can’t change the laws of physics.

dimensionaldude
    Participant

Trying one last time. I’d really like you to understand that since then you wouldn’t try to chase the impossible: scale and depth are inseparable linked to each other, they are very much the same thing.

There is no such thing as correct scale with wrong depth. If scale is right, depth is right. Cold math/physics. That really simply is how stereoscopy works. In VR, in reality, everywhere. Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but I can’t change the laws of physics.

I get what you’re saying, and I’m in no way questioning your code that it’s not interpreting the data accurately. I guess the better way to word it would be:

PERCEIVED horizontal + vertical scale = perfect
    PERCEIVED depth = looks too flat, doesn’t resemble reality to me.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m saying my brain is constantly telling me the depth level is too flat in some of the games I’m seeing with a closer viewing distance, despite everything else being on the money.

Again, it’s like we’re seeing two different things. If you say the sky is blue and I say it’s purple, it doesn’t matter how accurate you are if I’m literally seeing purple and want glasses to adjust it. That doesn’t make the sky purple, it just means I’m SEEING purple and want to see it blue.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I give up. Noone can say I didn’t try hard enough.

dimensionaldude
    Participant

Again, sorry to have wasted so much of your time. This whole thread makes me question if something is wrong with my vision, I don’t get why the images that look too flat to me seem perfect for others.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You just want to achieve something that simply can’t be achieved: real world scale with more than real world depth. That would be cool, but it’s not possible since scale and depth are basically the same.

If you want more than real depth, you get smaller scale and vice versa. Always. Nothing can change that.

dimensionaldude
    Participant

You just want to achieve something that you can’t: real world scale with more than real world depth. That would be cool, but it’s not possible.

I don’t want to go in circles explaining my position. You’re reading too much into what I’m saying. All I want is a little higher 3D strength limit option that can be accessed somehow (like a 6 or 7). If you change your mind in the future, my offer still stands. I will pay $300 to have that feature added, that’s how much I’d like to see it. I feel bad I’ve taken so much of your time on this as it is. You’ve made great software, I think we’ll just never agree on the ideal settings.

Ralf
    Keymaster

For the sixth(?) time: the max is the max not because I want to annoy you, but because you get split images with nearby objects before even reaching that limit.

I sympathize with you wanting “more depth”, that just makes no sense. Neither in regard to realism (see above), nor – more important – technically because the current max is already beyond what works.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!