Stuck on "Next up" splash screen with SteamVR 1.8.19

Homepage Forums Technical Support Stuck on "Next up" splash screen with SteamVR 1.8.19

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    dborosev
    Participant

Well after getting the game to how in the HMD 3 times out of 50, its now back to not showing the HMD after many attempts.

apollon01
    Participant

Try to launch the game with the headset already on your face (it is awkward, I know).

This way it works for me (well at least for now).

Let me know whether it solves the problem for you as well.

haluzzak
    Participant

Any solution? Nothing works – I tried everything!

dborosev
    Participant

haluzzak: I did eventually get it to work once last night. Didn’t do anything special, just rebooted plus all the known stuff discussed in many threads here. (Check out the discussion in the General forum) I haven’t been able to test enough yet to determine what is causing it to not show in the HMD yet. But this weekend should yield some results hopefully. It definitely started happening each time I installed the game and its DirectX. (I uninstalled and re-installed once) Most of the time, none of my VorpX games worked, then it was just RDR2 that didn’t work. But I don’t have enough tests yet to draw any conclusions about anything.

apollon01: I’ll try that too. I have an Odyssey+, you? Maybe some HMDs have different sensors.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There seems indeed to be an issue with WMR headsets and the most recent SteamVR version. I just did a few tests with a WMR headset and the latest SteamVR: I get an image in the headset in 1/5 tries or so. Doesn’t matter what API or game, happens with practically everything.

I’m not sure yet whether there is something that be done on vorpX’s end to change that. I’ll do a few more tests next week.

dborosev
    Participant

Ralf: Question/Theory about this. I noticed that when the game installed, it also installed its own DirectX version. For me, after game install, that is when the non-display issues started. First time around, that was solved by windows doing an update to directx. Then it started displaying again. (the game itself wasn’t working yet, but at least VorpX was). When I had to re-install the game (and its directx), it stopped working again – for the most part.
    Is it possible that the game’s directX is somehow different in some way, and its causing issues with VorpX for some people?
    Just a theory, thinking out loud. I know little in this area, so I could be talking nonsense.

EDIT: Just saw you wrote something as I was writing this. I’ll leave this here cause I already wrote it.

apollon01
    Participant

HP Reverb here.

I think this issue needs to be highlighted also on SteamVR discussion forum.

Lokiss88 created a thread there in General discussions but with no reaction from the developers. In my opinion, it has to go to Bug reports with associated System report.

I will try to create such a thread and link it here too so that you can comment on SteamVR that you have the same issue.

Hopefully they would look into it knowing there are more users having problems.

Milan

dborosev
    Participant

Sounds good apollon01.

haluzzak
    Participant

My problem is in piplay 1.1.92 (pimax 4k). The new pitool goes normally, but the quality is worse than 1.1.92. I hope this will be corrected and I will be able to use piplay 1.1.92 again.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Short update:

I have identified the issue and will get another hotfix out later. It’s probably not a SteamVR issue, but an issue inside the WMR headset drivers that was introduced recently. At least that sounds like the most reasonable guess to me. Hard to tell exactly, but doesn’t really matter anyway.

This is what’s going on: vorpX checks whether a headset is currently active before rendering to the headset and doesn’t when a headset isn’t active. This activity state is provided by SteamVR, but sometimes does not get reported correctly with WMR headsets, so vorpX doesn’t render to the headset although theoretically all is fine except the wrong activity state.

I’ll probably just skip the activity test for WMR headsets, which should suffice to fix the issue.

An update with this workaround will be made available later today.

Eola667
    Participant

Hi, this happens with HTC Vive as well, but if I have the headset on while waiting for the exe vorpx is supposed to attach to no problem is found whatsoever. For Vive users just make sure to leave your headset on your face.

Ralf
    Keymaster

OK, thanks for letting me know. Then it must be SteamVR reporting garbage recently, not the WMR headsets as I assumed above.

I’ll skip the whole activity test entirely for all headsets. It’s nice to have to avoid unnecessary GPU usage while the headset is idling with a game running, but not vital. Should almost never be the case anyway unless you go grab a beer while playing or something.

apollon01
    Participant

The SteamVR bug report is here

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/3/1637549649106668509/

Please visit it and add your comment so that the developers pay attention to it.

Thanks

Milan

apollon01
    Participant

OK, just noticed Ralf’s comments.

Well… I leave the SteamVR bug report as is for the moment till the issue is solved (on any end) :-)

Thanks Ralf for checking it out.

Milan

Ralf
    Keymaster

Add to your bug report that IVRSystem::GetTrackedDeviceActivityLevel(k_unTrackedDeviceIndex_Hmd) sometimes returns 0 while it should return 1 (or 2).

Not every time, but sometimes it falsely returns 0 while in fact the headset is in use.

The SteamVR devs then know exactly what to look for.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!