What playing games in immersive mode on that big screen did for me

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion What playing games in immersive mode on that big screen did for me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    ToxicMike
    Participant

I actually regret ever trying to play games in this mode, coz now, VR this or Vr that, playing games the regular way on my 31inch monitor is like missing so much that actually playing games there is even less than just half of the fun compared to when playing in immersive modes, or in other words….i don´t play games without my vr goggles anymore, even if it´s some “stupid” 16bit pixelshooter coz those games are as well much more fun in immersive mode.

Needless to say i was almost about to abandon VR because the exclusive VR games just really didn´t do it for me, i am still more for a relaxed way of gaming and not really having fun with jumping around while swinging arms in a almost hysterical way while trying to hit and dodge enemies.

I also must say games like SENUA´S SACRIFICE, a 3rd person game getting its VR version years later, was one of the few “vr titles” really being much more fun than all of those “exclusive” VR titles who try to much to give that huge “immersive feeling”.

So finally, i can say vorpX kinda saved VR for me, coz now i am also getting more into the mood of not only playing games in immersive mode but in real VR as well.

…just hope you guys from vorpX stay on this for the rest of my vr-gaming life, lol.

Ogrescar
    Participant

not really having fun with jumping around while swinging arms in a almost hysterical way while trying to hit and dodge enemies.

I share your feelings. Native VR games, for me, have been a sad disappointment. Holding my arms out until my shoulders ache in order to fly is not fun; ducking my head down to swim is just stupid; if I want to shoot an arrow give me a button, don’t make me use my controllers like a bow, blah blah blah. Maybe if I had a holodeck…

There are certainly exceptions. HL Alyx, SkyrimVR (kind of, but I prefer vorpx/SkyrimSE), Moss, etc., but most are exercise in silly antics and gestures that makes my dog think I’ve gone nuts.

dborosev
    Participant

100% with you.
    One day VR will be massive, but for now, I love playing in immersive/cinema modes.
    I could never go back.

ToxicMike
    Participant

Native VR games, for me, have been a sad disappointment. Holding my arms out until my shoulders ache in order to fly is not fun; ducking my head down to swim is just stupid; if I want to shoot an arrow give me a button, don’t make me use my controllers like a bow, blah blah blah.

LOL! I played this bow-shooter for about 20 minutes (where i probably shot more arrows than robin hood his entire life) and never went back to it again.

I am also not having any plans in stressing myself that way in a VR-game ever again. There are sure people who luv those bow-shooters (or VR-wave-shooters) but for me it was just plain stressful and annoying.

But the problem ain´t the bow (or bow-technique) coz those wave-shooters where you shoot with a regular gun are also way too stressful in my opinion.

While i love regular non-vr wave-shooters, i have a major problem with them in VR, since in my opinion all thise stressful shooting and dodging into all directions, takes away too much of the immersion, or in other words…i am way too focused on hitting targets while dodging bullets, that i don´t have time to feel “immersed” into the actual game, i mean there is this virtual reality and all what i do is standing there, shooting targets as if my life depends on it, i could as well shoot cans in the real world, that would be almost as “great” as playing a vr-wave shooter.

100% with you.
    One day VR will be massive, but for now, I love playing in immersive/cinema modes.
    I could never go back.

Too funny when i remember that this what i think is so great with VR (immersive 2D-screens/cinema-screens) isn´t what VR is here for in the first place, i mean….LOL…i sit there with my vr-goggles just to see a (huge) 2D-screen most of the times! On the other hand…it´s far cheaper and easier than buying a home-theatre.

On a serious note, i am still amazed about how great my games look on that virtual screen, most of all the generally better gaming-experience it causes, i would have never thought this being possible.

dborosev
    Participant

Since its fully 3D, I think of it more like looking through a window into a VR world. I don’t really think of it as a “screen” since it fill my whole FOV, and looks 3D.

steph12
    Participant

simply put, we are VERY lucky that VorpX does exist.
    i can still play on my regular monitor games like anno 1800, but 90% of my pc games are played through vorpx or native VR.
    when games i want to play with vorpx doesnt actually work, i just wait till they do, the latest being AC valhalla.
    i already said it many times, but Ralf should be awarded & recognized by the whole game industry for this incredible software.

Warrie
    Participant

I use VR mostly for my racing and flying sims. When PSVR was released Sony was really pushing this and a LOT of awesome games have been released for PSVR for a year or 2. Especially Astrobot showed how amazing games can be in VR. But I think it just wasn’t maknig enough money for devs – since maybe a year almost nothing good has been released for PSVR anymore.
    PCVR same thing – when you look at the pcvr releases the last year.. most of them are small crappy games. So I’m extremely happy with Vorpx, especially now that I have it running perfectly on my G2.
    The extremely low amount of good VR games released lately does make me worry a bit about the future of VR in general. I think the VR market is still too small for devs to be interesting enough.

ToxicMike
    Participant

Since its fully 3D, I think of it more like looking through a window into a VR world. I don’t really think of it as a “screen” since it fill my whole FOV, and looks 3D.

Well of course that´s right what you say, especially being “surrounded” by this ambient gamescreen-light is something completely missing with any real world screen and adding lots to the atmosphere, but still “vr games” do first of all mean something like “being inside” a game rather than looking at it onto a 2d-screen (even if it´s inside this virtual world), but that is still how i am playing and enjoying them and for sure VR wasn´t just made to experience games this way mostly.

i already said it many times, but Ralf should be awarded & recognized by the whole game industry for this incredible software.

Not sure about the gaming industry in general, but for sure the VR industry should not only honor Ralf but also be very thankful for him and his software, i mean in my case it saved VR for me! If i wouldn´t have found myself playing on this immersive vr-screen, i´d have dumped VR one month ago coz from all my “vr-disappointments” i wasn´t even interested in HALF-LIFE:ALYX anymore.

So in my opinion vorpX did far more for VR than they expected HL:Alyx to do, let alone that Alyx is getting old anyway, but vorpX not.

Getting back to vorpX´s immersive screen and wishes users here have made public. I think i read a few comments where people wanted to have the option to make the screen even bigger plus more distance options:

First of all i think it would be better not to have too many options, coz i often find myself trying out different ways for way too long and still can´t make up my mind what is finally better for my taste, on the other hand…i would definitely say “YES!” to the option of increasing screen size along with increasing distance. Hopefully this would be something Ralf puts into his mind within the next few updates, but i can also live with it not happening.

dborosev
    Participant

@steph12, I’m half way through Valhalla. Until VorpX supports it, I’ve been using depth3D and virtual desktop. It works very well. (But you can use VorpX desktop viewer too)
    Its amazing, one of the best games I’ve played for sure.

dborosev
    Participant

@ToxicMike,
    It almost sounds like your games are flat on the screen? Are you sure you have 3D enabled for your games? Its not like a flat screen at all. Its just a boxed in view of a VR world in full 3D. Its not a “2d screen” at all. I certainly feel like I’m “inside the game”. Thats the whole point.

ToxicMike
    Participant

since maybe a year almost nothing good has been released for PSVR anymore.
    PCVR same thing – when you look at the pcvr releases the last year.. most of them are small crappy games. So I’m extremely happy with Vorpx, especially now that I have it running perfectly on my G2.
    The extremely low amount of good VR games released lately does make me worry a bit about the future of VR in general.

Yes i also noticed a certain lack of new (and most of all “good/interesting”) vr-games on steam, i am usually not that negative but i was thinking to myself like “Is this already the beginning of the end?”

Well let´s hope not, even that i don´t really care about real/full vr-titles and mostly play on immersive-screen-modes, when VR is dead then so is vorpx and everything else related to VR. My worries are even more when i remember 3D-Blu-Rays/TV-Sets, who are officially abandoned by the industry already one or two years ago (still some people aren´t aware of this and wonder about missing 3D movies), i mean…3D still ain´t VR, but if people aren´t ready for this, as they obviously weren´t for 3D, then….well i don´t wanna think about it too much, it´s still too early i guess.

On the other hand….who would want to watch 3D movies on a expensive 3D-tv set when you can have huge theater screens in 3D inside vr goggles? So 3D could have its resurrection once more people figure out how great it is to watch a movie inside vr goggles (i actually had doubts about it myself, before i tried it)

@ToxicMike,
    It almost sounds like your games are flat on the screen? Are you sure you have 3D enabled for your games? Its not like a flat screen at all. Its just a boxed in view of a VR world in full 3D. Its not a “2d screen” at all. I certainly feel like I’m “inside the game”. Thats the whole point.

WTF? Wait wait…with the possibility of making myself look like a complete dork now…i am still new to vorpX and i am still not sure about that “3D” look of games? And yes, i see a flat screen inside my goggles, nothing 3D, well at least i haven´t tried yet or looked into such an option.

Does that mean i could use that 3D mode (gotta dig into it in how to activate it) on every game or most games???

I already enjoy my games on this virtual bigass screen and don´t ever wanna get back to my tiny 32inch monitor, but then also in 3D?

“You gotta be fu**in kiddin me!”
    -Palmer (The Thing, 1982)

dborosev
    Participant

I can’t tell if I’m being mega-trolled or not.

Yeah… you really need to turn on Z3D or G3D, but they should be set up automatically by most game profiles already, so not sure why you haven’t seen any 3D.

ToxicMike
    Participant

I can’t tell if I’m being mega-trolled or not.

Yeah… you really need to turn on Z3D or G3D, but they should be set up automatically by most game profiles already, so not sure why you haven’t seen any 3D.

As i said, i am still new to vorpX and haven´t really put much time into getting to know things, most of all coz playing on this big 2D screen is already doin it for me.

Fact is i put games i am playing on the immersive screen, into the excluded list, to avoid useless problems i could have, while i am not needing those games to be hooked anyway after all.

Once i have played enough games on that immersive-mode-screen, i am goin to dig into the other apsects of vorpX, including full VR modes and this 3D mode, i have fun finding things out for myself, rather than askin questions with making a shitload of threads, except there is a problem i seem to be unable to identify of why it is happening, like i am having it right now, but i am not handling the subject here in this thread.

Ogrescar
    Participant

Fact is i put games i am playing on the immersive screen

You can’t put games in the excluded list and play them with vorpx, unless you’re using the desktop viewer. The big question is why would you do that? Even if you want to play a game in 2D, it’s better to let vorpx hook it – you’ll get better performance, among other things.

Ogrescar
    Participant

, into the excluded list

End of that got cut off somehow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!