What playing games in immersive mode on that big screen did for me

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion What playing games in immersive mode on that big screen did for me

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    ToxicMike
    Participant

I am totally with you senoctar and i actually already hook onto every game i am playing with vorpX, regardless what features i am using or how i configurate it.

I was a little stressed when i bought vorpX, with being well aware of this nice piece of software probably being a little “stressful” to configurate for beginners, so since i already had my fun with “theater-screens” i just felt for using vorpX for nothing else than that at this moment, until i felt like having enough time to dig into the other aspects of it and finding out things for myself.

On the subject of other software, in my opinion steam´s virtual desktop had several flaws with certain games stuttering on it while bigscreen beta was much better but also suffering flaws vorpX doesn´t, most of all the fact bigscreen is much more demanding on hardware and some games even stuttering as well or constantly crash as soon you jump from the menu into the game.

Still talking bigscreen beta, i have to say there is also some major “flaw” who is actually somehow slight “positive”. I am talkin about its general picture quality, for example if you pull the screen real close, you have a pretty unsharp picture quality compared to that great one you have with vorpX, now when you get the right distance inside bigscreen beta, the overal picture quality gets that slight “washed out” look, in my opinion making pixel-sidescrollers look a little better than on vorpX or any other monitor, but that again is “useless” once you add the 3d-effect with vorpx.

There is only ONE real big PLUS side with bigscreen beta, and that is the option of making the virtual-desktop-screen alot bigger than currently available with vorpX, but that feature is useless with bigscreen beta and certain games who stutter or refuse to run at all, so i´d love to see this “bigger” feature on vorpX too one day.

senoctar
    Participant

Hmm, so maybe bigscreen improved a bit since I tried it. I stopped using it altogether after they started geo-blocking all content.

In vorpX Cinema mode you can adjust the distance to the screen but not it’s size. A closer screen take up more of your FOV but might not give the impression of a big screen. There is however “Immersive Screen” in which the screen should be bigger by default and it also has a “screen scale” setting.

Personally I find the default screen size to be OK. I generally use cinema for top-down or side-scroller games which are usually called 2.5D, whereas for first/third person games I use immersive.

But there is an item for the next release of vorpx:
    Improved immersive screen size default and range. The default values now provide a more natural world scale at typical game FOVs while at the same time you can adjust the screen size/distance even more to your own liking than before.

https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/vorpx-21-2-0-preliminary-changelog

ToxicMike
    Participant

Hmm, so maybe bigscreen improved a bit since I tried it. I stopped using it altogether after they started geo-blocking all content.

They actually just fixed the mess they caused with the patch before, coz it was crashing far more than before and actually everytime you put off your goggles for a few minutes.

In vorpX Cinema mode you can adjust the distance to the screen but not it’s size. A closer screen take up more of your FOV but might not give the impression of a big screen.

A closer (big)screen for example, is something completely awful (almost “blurry”) looking with bigscreen beta, at least until you shrink the size of it down so far until it looks sharper again, but then the size of it ain´t really what i understand as “big” let alone “cinema”. With vorpX you can touch the screen with your virtual nose and it still looks crips sharp.

Personally I find the default screen size to be OK. I generally use cinema for top-down or side-scroller games which are usually called 2.5D, whereas for first/third person games I use immersive.

It depends on my mood, i often use immersive-screen-mode as well for strategy-titles as for third person games because the ambient-light-effect adds alot to the atmosphere, while it can happen i feel like having too much of being surrounded by darkness and ambient light, that´s when i switch to cinema mode.

Certain first person games i also play in immersive screen mode (when they´re not giving me a great feeling in full-vr mode or stutter too much) like GENERATION ZERO, which does a great job at me in 2:35:1 ultra-wide-screen with bending the screen only as much as distortions doesn´t kick in (i also had a great time bending it to the max along with pulling it real close, but distortions can be a pain at times)

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!