What playing games in immersive mode on that big screen did for me

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion What playing games in immersive mode on that big screen did for me

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    dborosev
    Participant

Then you didn’t read the whole thread.

ToxicMike
    Participant

I think ToxicMike is pretty clearly saying he is living in his own constructed world of gaming

You think? This means there is a possibility of you being wrong, except you´re one of those individuals who think they´re always right, no matter what.

Besides that, each one of us is actually living in his own world…and i am not talking about the world of gaming only, but that is nothing bad, it´s actually normal for human beings.

and doesn’t want any help at the moment learning the actual use of the software he bought.

It looks like you´re the one who haven´t really been reading what´s goin on here the last pages. Someone was rather interested in questioning as to why and how i am using vorpX than actually “helping” me (let alone i did not asked for help here to begin with), the fact that this guy told about this topic being “degraded” makes it even more obvious while it rather seems this topic started to “degrade” once he participated in it…and now you seem to have come taking his place…with that abnormally strong urge to “help” and this constant overused “fake smile”.

If you seriosly think someone just tried to help me, you could as well claim americans “just tried to help” indians having a “better” life, while we both know that there have been other reasons for being….so “helpful”….and as far as i can remember, neither me nor those indians ever asked for help.

Check back here, ToxicMike, when you are ready to use VorpX the intended way.

I am gonna ask Ralf if it is ok for him and vorpX to make personal use of it how i see fit, so when i am not allowed to use it this way and if i am violating any rules here, then i am trying to get a refund…

….until this would happen….you better leave it up to me as to when and where i am checking back here, can you follow me here or was it way too complicated?

No shortage of people ready to help you use the software, as you can see. :)

Again…did i ask for help here? Besides that….could you stop with constantly drawing smilies along with hiding your arrogance underneath this ironic tone, i am well aware of you and this other guy just trying so hard to make yourselfs look way smarter than you probably are…and that is what is probably behind your urge to “help” here, to give people the idea you´re something you´re probably not for real.

To a lot of people, this is like someone buying a hat, then putting it on their foot and wearing it like a shoe and saying they are enjoying it just fine the way it is.

You shouldn´t worry too much about what people think about you, me, or others here, it does not affect our lives in any way, but besides that, you´re talkin about “a lot” of people, which is just “relative” and just one look at threads actually shows the same bunch of people talking mostly, so that even narrows “a lot” down to probably “just a few” rather than “a lot”, but hey…that is the view you have in your own world and i am not criticizing you for that, i may as well have weird views in my own world, but unlike you or your friend, i am not making others views the topic here.

everyone has their things.

You already repeat yourself more than once with this, yet you still go on. So i wonder why you repeat this so often? You´re either don´t believe it yourself or you´re just trying so hard to cover something up here.

You keep on doing you.

Was this a realization? Were you questioning something? Oh sorry, i forgot! You just wanted to help me again.

But you have to expect some “wtf” looks from the head-wearing hat people on the streets trying to help you.

People with hats, no matter if placed on their heads or on their feet, are constantly getting “wtf” looks from all other people wearing no hats at all, so i can perfectly live with getting “wtf” looks from just those kind of people.

:)

Why this forced smilie-overuse? Are you trying to hide something or is there a possibility of blinding yourself so you don´t have to realize how arrogant you actualy behave?

Please stop accusing other users of not reading things here, only because you dislike them for not agreeing with you (…or your friend here), which by the way, seems to be a big issue for you guys, when others aren´t agreeing with you.

I could as well accuse you of not reading things here, for which i am putting up an example now:

Virtual Desktops, this other guy told me about virtual desktops being free and that there is no need in getting vorpX just for the same use, but fact is virtual desktop is not the same as virtual desktop, there are in fact major differences and i could explain as to what differences there are (like bigscreen beta not only having a slightly washed out look, it´s drawing more power from hardware than vorpX does, on the other hand bigscreen beta has a theater-mode view vorpX is currently missing, etc. etc.) but hey….

…you told me you´re here to help me, so i don´t think you need any help in realizing as to what differences there are in virtual desktops, besides that…you seem to know everything already.

:)

Ice
    Participant

Now this is entertainment. Thank you for the rollercoaster of a read.

On a serious note. I have wanted to play some games without 3D in VorpX just because of the great performance and ambient lighting. Do you mean it’s possible to get games to show up in vr without hooking into them? (I’m not talking about VorpX desktop viewer)

Does the game require a profile and then you just disable the 3D mode? If not, how do you do it? I would love to play some games in VorpX without hooking into them.

Ralf
    Keymaster

It’s either hooking or the desktop viewer.

Shouldn’t be a big deal to get pretty much any game running in 2D as long as its DX9-12 or OpenGL though. For older DirectX games a DX11 wrapper like dgVoodoo will do the trick. If vorpX doesn’t hook without a profile, simply create a custom profile for the game in question based on a game that uses the same DirectX version and disable 3D in the vorpX menu.

A short introduction to creating custom profiles can be found in the vorpX help. If you really just want to play 2D, that’s extremely easy.

Smoils
    Participant

guilty tl/dr

ToxicMike
    Participant

I have wanted to play some games without 3D in VorpX just because of the great performance and ambient lighting.

Please use vorpX the way it is supposed to be used and don´t alter the experience into something less immersive! You either go highest immersion possible, or don´t go at all!!!

….LOL sorry i just couldn´t resist this, after my latest discussion went a little out of hand, hehe. Well Ralf was anyway answering you in the meantime.

It’s either hooking or the desktop viewer.

That´s why i pulled my games into the exception-list for the time i am only playing them in desktop mode where no hooking is needed, but for some weird reason some people did not understand my point as to why i would do such a thing when using vorpX with a game, at least i remember some user bringing it up questioning and i still wonder what kind of missunderstanding there could have been.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Typically you are better off when you let vorpX hook into games, it can do a lot more when running inside a game, even if you only want to play in 2D. Also performance is usually better that way.

While you can use the vorpX desktop viewer for playing games ofc if you want, that’s not really what it was made for originally.

dborosev
    Participant

it can do a lot more

Careful Ralf! … ;)

ToxicMike
    Participant

Typically you are better off when you let vorpX hook into games, it can do a lot more when running inside a game, even if you only want to play in 2D. Also performance is usually better that way.

I wasn´t getting that part coz i actually thought making it hook can also cause certain problems with certain games and i would be better off to avoid those with not letting it hook in the first place, since it doesn´t need to be hooked in order to play them in 2D anyway.

While you can use the vorpX desktop viewer for playing games ofc if you want, that’s not really what it was made for originally.

Some users buy vorpX and expect it to work flawlessly in full-vr mode with every game and that are those who mostly end up giving unfair negative reviews on vorpX, while they probably wouldn´t give such negative ratings when they would as well make use of and enjoy those other options besides just going in full-vr.

Anyway, i am about to leave my vorpX 2D experience for a couple of hours now and try using it for “what it was made originally” for my first time ever on vorpX.

….just hope people are fast with replying in the troubleshooting section tho…LOL.

dborosev
    Participant

I think you charred a few of those bridges to the very people who were trying.
    But yeah generally there are some pretty great folks on here. (Including Ogrescar who you may remember)

ToxicMike
    Participant

I think you charred a few of those bridges to the very people who were trying.
    But yeah generally there are some pretty great folks on here.

I wasn´t all serious with my remark regarding the troubleshooting section as well i wasn´t serious with my little flame-war from before, it´s just my way with words and i am aware of it probably being pretty offensive for certain people, on the other hand i am also aware that everyone behaves a little or much different once he is jacked in to the net, most people just don´t realize it.

I am not the kind of guy who cries for help on every occasion, except i am in a hurry or plain simple too lazy for finding out things myself (i once asked here because there was a game obviously making trouble on evey virtual desktop software i have and wasn´t sure the game to be the problem or my system), but i prefer doing it on my own because then i tend to learn things better than just reading a tutorial and forgetting what i just did right after i made things work while following it step by step.

At least i got myself enough infos on vorpX before buying it, rather than being one of those dorks (sorry) who rant about it not working properly when it ain´t vorpX fault but people either not being smart enough and/or doing it wrong somehow with just blaming the software on most occasions which all ends up in those negative reviews making vorpX look bad in an unfair kind of way….by the way i am always trying to preferrably read the negative reviews only, to find out about possible flaws and/or stupid people talking crap…like it happens on STEAM with way too many good games being rated down in unfair ways just like it happens occiasonly with vorpX.

(Including Ogrescar who you may remember)

Ogrewho????? LOL jk

freshmootz
    Participant

Skyrim absolutely sucked in VR and I could never get it to work properly.

Michelangel0
    Participant

Needless to say i was almost about to abandon VR because the exclusive VR games just really didn´t do it for me, i am still more for a relaxed way of gaming and not really having fun with jumping around while swinging arms in a almost hysterical way while trying to hit and dodge enemies.

But there are native VR games to play seated …and I have to say that there are a LOT of those.
    You just need to get those types of controls, and you will get full VR around you with the way to control as you want.

Check The Persistence to give an example, it uses a normal gamepad:

ToxicMike
    Participant

Skyrim absolutely sucked in VR and I could never get it to work properly.

Well as far as i remember, they totally fu**ed up SKYRIM VR and FALLOUT VR, on the other hand…the community worked out something like 1000s of mods to make (at least SKYRIM VR) work better…but that again means to fu** around with trying out those mods to begin with, so all in all i guess those games are a pretty pain in the a** in VR after all. (no clue if there are vorpX profiles for them, haven´t looked for them yet coz there are hundreds of other titles i feel more important to try out in vorpX)

But there are native VR games to play seated …and I have to say that there are a LOT of those.
    You just need to get those types of controls, and you will get full VR around you with the way to control as you want.

Well of course i am aware of it and i also played a few good titles in VR, the main problem here is that all in all i wasn´t THAT hooked onto those games as probably other users are.

But what really made me hooked is playing all “regular” games on this huge theater screen in bigscreen beta, despite having it´s flaws, in fact flaws which vorpX doesn´t suffer from and that was the reason for me to buy vorpX to begin with, regardless of whether or not me using it the “appropriate”way, as some other users here were trying so hard to get me to (in that certain way i felt wasn´t right, so that´s why i felt for replying in a certain “harsh” way, but then again i don´t call myself “toxic” for nothing)

So, as i already said, it was actually bigscreen beta and vorpX who saved VR for me, neither HL:ALYX nor all those game developers trying so hard to bring great VR games, coz now i am actually get in the mood again to finally dig myself more into full VR experiences than ever before, and if i am gettin somehow bored with exclusive VR titles again, then there is still the joy of playing regular games on huge theater-screens and that is finally the experience i never want to miss out on ever again.

Since i enjoyed my first game on a theater screen, i wasn´t playing any game without my VR goggles ever again, now i just hope VR goggles can actually handle being used on a daily basis, for several hours a day.

senoctar
    Participant

Ignoring the 3D part, my experience with hooking was better than desktop viewer.
    Most of the issues have to do with G3D/Z3D not working or causing artifacts, with hooking the biggest issue is, well, not being able to hook.

When using a VR desktop app it’s difficult to sync the frames. Depending on whether the game is configured in windowed/borderless/exclusive or has vsync on/off, the frame rate is either matched to your monitor or is unbounded. When it is lower than your HMD refresh you will usually experience blurr, when it is higher it can either be OK or take up so much GPU that the VR rendering stutters.
    For best results you will have to use a frame rate limiter. But even so there won’t be a perfect sync and will get the occasional stutter.

When hooking vorpX will automatically sync the game with the HMD. Even if the automatic part doesn’t work, there are settings within vorpX so no need for an additional tool.

As for VR desktop apps the best one in terms of performance overhead is Virtual Desktop. I checked bigscreen, vorpX desktop viewer and Depth3D VR companion app. vorpX is the next one so if you really want the ambience mode it should be ok. The Depth3D app is decent, it stands out with the reshade integration, but if you don’t care about 3D there should be no reason to use it over VD or vorpX. I wouldn’t touch bigscreen, unless it improved in the last months since I used it.

The performance overhead when hooking is about the same as with the viewer, but the syncing makes games so much smoother than even Virtual Desktop.
    To reiterate, even for plain 2D viewing, not “as intended” :), I find hooking to be easier and better performing than the desktop viewer for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!