Pay now / Alpha or Beta version?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Pay now / Alpha or Beta version?

Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Ananas
    Participant

I thought of this too. There’s going to be more and more drivers for HMDs. Hopefully Ralf decides to release at least some kind of version soon to show who is dominating these drivers!

RandomHavoc
    Participant

With the release of the Tri-def beta driver Ralf lost a significant percentage (25%-40%?!)of his potential sales in one fell swoop. If he doesn’t hurry up and release, and Tri-def keeps improving their driver (with imput from us beta users), I imagine that the profit will continue to dwindle. Good thing this project was a labor of love for Ralf, because if things continue apace, it maybe all that he gets for his many hours of hard work.

Ralf
    Keymaster

…the profit will continue to dwindle…

Either that, … or something else. ;) I might decide to broaden the approach towards stereoscopic displays for example, which I didn’t do on purpose until now.

RandomHavoc
    Participant

At this point I would recommend a 14 day trial period for the driver so people can see the superior feature set of your product. People are not going to turn around and spend another $40-$55 for another product after they just bought the Tri-def driver to do the same thing, without a compelling reason to do so. A lot of people are on the 14 day trial of Tri-def, so if you release soon you may still be able to get ahead of it.

Jimmyl
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

I feel I must also distance myself from the elephant in the room before adding my voice to the conversation. I have so far avoided being vocal here, mainly because Mr. Geddings has been so aptly demonstrating just how NOT to behave (I can totally understand why you would ignore that kind of behavior). Hopefully we can restore this site to a place for reasoned discussion, rather than the forum of threats, insults & tantrums it has become.

That being said I have to agree with the cooler heads above, in expressing concern that it has been such a long time since we saw (what to the layman appeared to be an outstanding, functional product) VorpX beta. Is it possible for you to say whether we will see a version sometime before the end of august? I think even a no would be a useful bit of expectation management at this point.

golem09
    Participant

The only reason we are nagging you so much about this, Ralf, is that what we have seen of this driver so far is above my wildest expectations ;)
    I’ve fiddled around with 3D some years ago with TriDef and Nvidia, but vorpx is just plain better than anything I remember from back then.

The worst is knowing than such an awesome piece of software already exists ;)

Ralf
    Keymaster

A firm release date for a vorpX beta version will be announced within the next few weeks. Please keep an eye (or both if you like) on the announcement sticky above.

@ All, and especially Mr. Geddings: The forum was so utterly cluttered with ‘release it already’-threads that it got next to unusable. Because of this those threads were all merged into this one and every new thread regarding this will be merged into this one too. Nothing wrong with discussing the matter, but please discuss it here instead of opening the same thread over and over again. Thanks. :-)

museumsteve
    Participant

Thanks Ralf
    Good enough for me :)

Jimmyl
    Participant

Thanks Ralf,

That’s great news

golem09
    Participant

Awesome news. Keep up the good work :)

redneckuk
    Participant

Got rift and will travel all my friends want one now give me the beta driver so I can give good remarks to everyone else please

MrGeddings
    Participant

i think its good to wait. i rather there be a lot of game support and less having to manually set up things. also i want the headtracking to just “work”. both tridef and perception just arnt there yet. and for 50 bucks i rather wait for a bit to have a driver that works…..that doesnt feel buggy that feels like a polished driver with many features. i griped before of it taking forever but seeing how both the other solutions in my opinion fail right now (more so tridef considering it costs 50 bucks they should have did more interial testing rather then rushing out a half baked beta that only offically suports nearly as many games (few) that perception does). i can wait a bit for someone to finally get it right. i hope Vorpx will be awesome!

HappyHimitsu
    Participant

i think its good to wait. i rather there be a lot of game support and less having to manually set up things. also i want the headtracking to just “work”. both tridef and perception just arnt there yet. and for 50 bucks i rather wait for a bit to have a driver that works…..that doesnt feel buggy that feels like a polished driver with many features. i griped before of it taking forever but seeing how both the other solutions in my opinion fail right now (more so tridef considering it costs 50 bucks they should have did more interial testing rather then rushing out a half baked beta that only offically suports nearly as many games (few) that perception does). i can wait a bit for someone to finally get it right. i hope Vorpx will be awesome!

What the hell Mr.Geddings, just a week ago you were screaming at Ralf and calling him a dick for not having a release yet, now you are saying it’s good to wait?

I think you better prepare yourself for disappointment because it doesn’t sound like you understand the fact that ‘retrofitted’ drivers (which is what VorpX is) will never be perfect.
    Tridef never ‘pushed out’ a half baked beta, they make it clear on their website that the beta is ‘experimental’ and in a very early state. As well, for those of us who had already purchased Tridef for it’s stereo drivers, the Oculus Rift support is a nice addition to an already great product.
    You could almost guarantee that many of the games that VorpX officially ‘supports’ will run at about the same level as many of the games that you can play with Tridef but are currently listed as ‘unsupported’ due to the amount of tweaking that are currently necessary to get them working just right.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ Happy: Thanks for your continued interest in vorpX, although you already seem to know that other solutions are superior. ;) We all know your opinion by now though. Please advertise other products elsewhere, especially if you have nothing more to say than just assumptions based on nothing. Thank you.

Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!