Skyrim Special Edition

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Skyrim Special Edition

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    reanor
    Participant

Finally got it to run on Fallout 4 profile. I used Z-Adaptive, it seems to give best performance on my i5-6600 and GTX1080, 32GB RAM. There’s is no 3D whatsoever though, no 3D reconstruction, Like it works well on mass effect 3 for example. The biggest thing that irked me, was that I couldn’t get FOV to the point where I’d like it without being too much Zoomed in without having a bars around it as if it was in cinema mode. I think it would work wonders, if we could have a mode in game that does FOV to zoom the field of view out, and then use FOV setting in VorpX to zoom it back in to get rid of the frame around the screen. Can’t wait to see what Ralph will come up with when the native SSE profile is done.

It’s also funny that a lot of guys seem to look for mods now, to get the graphics back to Pre-SE mode. I guess it’s all about the 64Bit client then and nobody really cares about their SSE’s improved graphics. I downloaded a MOD that removes most of the yellow ‘fog’ and the game looks pretty good. I have to try VR now, when I am LVL6. The last time I tried I was still in a cell, so that was probably not a good comparison for performance in SSE while running in VorpX.

Fredthehound
    Participant

The thing is twofold. Most of SEs textures are just scaled up stock textures from the original game so they are blurry. The second is of course the 64 bit engine and the end to memory restrictions so now we can go hog wild and see all the things we couldn’t before due to the DX9 restrictions.

And lemme tell you it looks incredible with just a handful of new textures Mindblowingly incredible.

On the performance thing…

Remember the draw distances and shadows. They are still and actually MORE performance intensive. You can go into the ini files and reduce shadowmaps to 2048 or 1024 (multiples of that) to gain performance. Many of the old tricks still apply. Turn off Godrays as well. They are a killer.

I think many performance issues come from people cranking everything up and their systems can’t deal with it. 64 bit makes a HUGE difference in performance, but we still have to remember that VorpX takes overhead to run.

Ralf
    Keymaster

My recommendation will be to stick to the original version unless so many mods, texture packs etc. are used that the original literally falls apart. In an unmodded to unmodded comparison there just isn’t any real value in the remaster unless one prefers the more colorful graphics.

This is mostly true without vorpX and it will be even more true with vorpX. The DX9 version just is the better choice in that case. The DX9 G3D profile is a fairly good one with not many glitches left, it was enhanced and refined many times over months.

For those who don’t want to apply super many mods and/or super large hi-res textures, which may require the 64bit version, the original will be the better choice with Geometry 3D at least for now.

StreetPreacher
    Participant

Where will we find the custom profile if it gets posted? Will it be posted in this thread, or is there a section of the website that I’m missing that curates all of the updated profiles?

Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll post it here and will also make sticky post in the Game Settings sub forum so it will be easy to find.

Still consider what I wrote in the post above: unless you have a very clear reason that enforces the use of the remaster, the original will be the better choice.

lipplog
    Participant

Just to confirm, you’re saying the benefits of the 64 bit SE doesn’t improve performance enough compared to the faster original version? With or without the ENB memory boost patch?

Fredthehound
    Participant

I find this confusing as I saw a MASSIVE performance boost going to SSE on monitor. Even with the hacked Fallout 4 profile in ZBuffer SSE was far smoother and thats with full Godrays and shadows on Ultra. In OG it was rougher even with settings on High and shadow/draw distances backed off.

I have read some people with 1070s and 1080s are experiencing framerate issues in normal play (non VorpX), but not everyone so I dunno whats going on there. Probably driver optimization. There’s posts around various forums about it. But most people are saying it’s a huge perf boost.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ lipplog : I can’t say anything in regard to the ENB memory boost patch, never tried that. Everything I talk about is always unmodded. There are just too many different mods.

@ Fred : experiences seem to very different. If you take a look at the comparison benchmarks I linked earlier, you will see an up tp ~40% drop in performance for the SE. It might be system related, settings related, location related, or whatever. Impossible to tell.

The other thing apart from performance is that the DX9 profile was honed and refined for so long that for now it will be simply better than the DX11 profile, which I’m working on for roughly a day now (better shadows for example).

You will soon be able to check yourself how everything works for you. For actually playing the game my current choice would be the original, which I will also recommend (well, actually my real choice would be Z3D since it beautifully runs at full 90fps almost everywhere, which is a quality in itself. But I guess you don’t want to hear that :) ).

Fredthehound
    Participant

One of the guys I talked with on the Skyrim mods site seems to think it’s the Creation engine showing it’s Gambryo roots. He runs an I7 6700 and 1070 and sees 100% CPU use. Another guy runs a Broadwell-E Hecxore and sees low framerates with a 980TI. AND THEN There are guys with more modest rigs, AMD CPUS and or 970/R9 390X cards seeing solid 60 on Ultra.

Growing pains I guess. Computers make our lives easier! ;)

reanor
    Participant

As far as performance issues, one very very big issue is Vertical Sync. If it’s not enabled on a driver level in NVIDIA CP, the game runs as if you were on the horses back. And if you actually get on horses back, it’s going to be an awful experience lol. So this is fixed by enabling Vertical Sync, which is a slight fps hit. I’ve had another issue, even without VR, my performance was awful. I’ve seen some guy recommended to just go to steam and run full integrity check on game local files.

After these 2 steps I think my game runs solid 60FPS no matter where I am. I’ll try VORPXing tonight again to see what my fps show. Personally, I don’t want to go back to regular Skyrim. I believe that advantage of 64-Bit engine is there and Ralf himself says that all his observations are mod-free. So if you install ENB and all the good mods on old version, 32-bit engine considering, it may run pretty awful? I believe Vorpx already does a great job, I just want some 3D, so when i turn my head, it doesn’t feel like I am flipping the book page… I’ll install FOV mod tonight, and play with it to see if I can get balanced good FOV in Vorpx.

Fredthehound
    Participant

I managed to push the old game to ridiculous extremes with mods in VorpX. See the “Titan XP vs. VorpX thread, so it can be done. It just takes a metric tom of horsepower to do it.

Most people don’t bother modding and just want to play in VorpX without the hassle. And it IS a hassle to make it work without killing performance outright. But for a few psycho types, we want to see what the limit is and blow past it. The new 64 bit promises the ability to do exactly that. At least in theory.

reanor
    Participant

I agree with you. Also i am too lazy to go back to old Skyrim and mod it’s graphics. I like SSE because it already has improved graphics and in addition – 64 Bit client. I believe in Ralf’s kung-fu. He will teach Vorpx to take advantage of the SEE 64-Bit engine.

orion41us
    Participant

Yes, also – I could not get the ENB stuff working with vorpx, which left the original graphics which are a bit dated :( Figured I just wait for the SE to work.

The SE semi-works with a fallout 4 profile – no 3d, I can not tell any difference between any of the 3d settings. Also note: could not get FOV changed in game or using vorpx – but if I used the Skyrim console (~) I could type fov 100 and it would work fine, between game loads and restarts as well. So thats a start.

Fredthehound
    Participant

Right out of the gate, SSE looks like moderately modded Skyrim. It’s too good to let go.

I think Ralf doesn’t give himself enough credit. VorpX is an amazing tool that already does the seemingly impossible. In time, I’ve little doubt both it and SSE will only improve. Hell, only a couple years ago the idea that anyone short of NASA with a rack of Crays could walk around in ANY VR world, much less Skyrim fully detailed was the stuff of an opium dream.

Yet here we are.

It’s amazing to me how people on the Vive forum are blown away by the most basic looking VR games that are natively coded and yet here we are discussing modding already high detail textured worlds.

lipplog
    Participant

Not the ENB graphics mod, the ENBoost memory fix. It fixes the game’s memory allocation and greatly improved performance.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!