vorpX 18.3.2 Available Now

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion vorpX 18.3.2 Available Now

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    dellrifter22
    Participant

Reinstall did the trick, and Z3D seems good again. Thanks.

Only wish it hadn’t cleaned my profiles library. doh. Fresh start I guess, haha.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Unlike an update install a full reinstall overwrites the profile database, should have mentioned that. Might make sense to provide a keep-settings-option in the installer.

BTW: you can backup important profiles and settings via drag and drop on your PC if you don’t want to upload them to the cloud.

dellrifter22
    Participant

That would be great.

Yes, thankfully I did manage to backup many profiles in prep for 18.3, though an “import/export all” would be convenient – as I use custom settings for a lot of official and user profiles.

I like the idea of “keeping” them even better.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Just checked how that works in detail since I couldn’t really remember. Normally the profile database is always updated even for a full reinstall, not overwritten as I said above. There is no difference in this regard between a full install and an update install.

I’ll check whether I can find what might have gone wrong in your case. Just from briefly looking at the code the only thing I can currently imagine that may cause the database to get overwritten is installing twice without starting vorpX in between (which is when the actual database update happens).

dellrifter22
    Participant

Hmm, well it’s always been the case for me, so now I backup as much as I can before updates.

Maybe irrelevant, but it did warn me that Advancedsettings.exe or something needed to be closed before install. I allowed it to close for me.

And websetup.zip is from December 2016 if that matters.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That doesn’t matter, it actually means a pre-install check the installer does works that ensures that all files that are going to be replaced are writable.

You can check whether the installer does what it should by going to your C:\ProgramData\Animation Labs\vorpX folder. Directly after an install (update or full doesn’t matter) you should see a Profiles.vpd.old and vorpControl.ini.old file in that folder. Both vanish when you start either vorpX or the config app next time after custom profiles and settings from the old database have been merged into the new one.

dellrifter22
    Participant

I wonder if it has a problem merging with unassigned test profiles. I know it doesn’t let me drag such ones. I usually have a bunch of those.

Anyway, don’t want to be more of a bother. I’ll just remember better to make backups.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Once you have your database populated with your custom profiles again, I could check whether it somehow causes an issue that I didn’t catch when implementing the database merging. Contact me via mail if you want.

dborosev
    Participant

Just for your notes Ralf, I never forced an update with the latest version, I just left it since it was running fine for Odyssey, but it did eventually update itself automatically 2 days later. In case you’re interested.

Ralf
    Keymaster

There was some really odd issue that lead to the response from the update server being cut off randomly during the update check, so it was kind of a lottery. Not sure how something like that can even happen, particularly since the code hasn’t been touched in years. Probably some recent changes in the underlying Windows functionality, that’s more or less the only option in this case.

I “fixed” that provisionally for now by adding a slight delay in 18.3.0.1, so from now on the update check should be reliable again.

Nova_eXelon
    Participant

The new update broke Skyrim + ENB for me. I just get a black screen in Rift and a small grey square in the top left corner on the monitor. The vorpx overlay works and I can change Full VR to Cinema Mode for example where I look at black screen also (but I do see the cinema around me). It works without ENB like normal.

I reseted vorpx to factory default.
    Reseted Skyrims INI files.
    Updated nvidia drivers.
    Updated ENB’s dlls.

I know ENB was always prone to bugs/crashes with vorpx and only worked for me at least with the injector but it DID work. I don’t use vorpx for anything else so it would be very nice if someone could help me.

Running Windows 7 x64 by the way.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Been messing more with the shader authoring tonight. Figured out how to hide miss-match textures and shadows, but don’t yet understand what the Transform and other functions do. Is there a brief explanation of their purpose and potential?

Like can miss-match shadows be corrected with this tool?
    Or HUD reticles made 2D, or with corrected separation?
    What do you typically use the tool for most?

How are dynamic shadows generally corrected for stereoscopic? I get the impression it can be tricky and difficult. Is it even possible for engines like CryEngine and Unity?

A lot of question marks, sorry :)
    Learning to make better profiles.

dborosev
    Participant

Dellrifter, you’re getting so hardcore into this stuff technically, you should change your username to DellRalfter. :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

The no transform and stereo separation options are mostly useful for sky/sun/clouds or 2D effects that are rendered at wrong depth. You typically either don’t want to have these any 3D at all since they are supposed to be at a very large distance or maybe just a little bit (clouds). You’ll notice when that is necessary for a game right away. Most of the time it isn’t anymore though since vorpX can handle that automatically these days in many cases, depending on the base profile you use. The newer the better in this regard.

Texture replacement can be useful to handle heavily broken reflections, like sky/cloud handling it’s often unnecessary these days though. Also not fully implemented for DX11. In DX11 you can only set a texture to nothing currently.

Broken shadows should be marked as (shadow/user). That allows users to decide whether they want to live with slight artifacts with nearby shadows (‘No S3D’) or turn them off.

For HUD/menu shaders you should usually use the default method, the other ones rarely work as expected.

The rest of the shader options requires some solid understanding of 3D rendering and are rarely useful anyway. Just ignore them. Most importantly please never use the “Test” option for an actual profile. It’s purely meant for internal testing, what it does may change at any time. Will be removed from the public build with the next version.

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX 18.3.1 has been released. This is a maintenance release that mainly adds support for Fallout 76. The profile is a fully featured DirectVR profile with everything DirectVR can do in the best case including automatic resolution, FOV (two methods) and basic roomscale.

Additionally minor issues with the program itself and other profiles have been fixed.

In case anyone wonders: the Frostbite engine G3D support that sparked a bit of interest recently is still in development and will be made available with the next larger update 19.1.0 before the end of the year.

New profiles:

• Fallout 76: G3D/Z3D, full VR, DirectVR: head tracking, resolution, FOV, tweaks

Changes/Fixes

• Effects that look bad in VR (e.g. DOF blur) can also be disabled with Z3D.
    • DirectVR scanner could time out with large scans in low memory situations.
    • DirectVR menu page didn’t behave correctly if both memory scan FOV and .ini edit FOV are available.
    • FOV scan was run despite .ini edit FOV being selected if both are available.
    • Fixed an occasional G3D crash in Fallout 76 (and maybe other DX11 games).
    • Arma III: DirectVR FOV was slightly too high.
    • The Witcher 3: some objects were rendered at wrong depth.
    • Crysis 3: reflections fixed, effect fixes.
    • Fallout 4: minor gun decals and fire glitches fixed.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!