Windows Mixed Reality with VorpX?

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Windows Mixed Reality with VorpX?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

I’d like to check myself, unfortunately the Oddyssey is not available here in Europe. But since other WMR headsets apparently work fine and so does the Vive, of course, it’s quite unlikely that vorpX is the culprit here. However as said above, as an Odyssey owner I currently would definitely wait.

I’d like to learn more about this though, so if you are willing to act as a guinea pig, send me a mail to support |at| vorpx com and we talk more.

cornfzd
    Participant

Ralf, you mentioned that the other Windows Mixed Reality headsets seemed to work fine, it could be the Odyssey. I happen to have a Dell Visor and did the same testing. The games hung (tested Borderlands 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda in the Desktop Viewer). I even retested with VorpX in Administrator mode for MEA.

Observations:
    * On my last attempt I noticed the games video hung, not the desktop viewer (can move my headset around). I saw this earlier when trying to run American Truck Simulator (outside of VorpX with the VR beta). The game seemed to be running as I could hear the audio. On the monitor game window the video frozen.
    * The crash seemed to come later (minutes into the game) than I recall when I tried with the Samsung Odyssey (seconds into the game). Not sure if it matters much if they are both unplayable because you can’t play long.

Abzo
    Participant

So, i have tried lenovo explorer with mixed reality. It works with vorpx!! Was playng Alien isolated, and far cry 3.

I thought alien will on full vr too, but it has immersive vr screen only(greatest anyway, but is there chance for no black frame?), far cry lets 360 degrees full view. Tried Tom Clancy’s The Division, and this title starting(get info about no profile, and it will show in 2d), and hung on download location screen(.

Is resolution in vr means very similar to dsr? Cause i have changed it and nothing happened (just smoother view i think) Anyway, gameplaying is very impressive, thank you Ralf for great job.

Ralf
    Keymaster

In many games vorpX can auto adjust the resolution. For games with Direct VR auto resolution support vorpX is aware what resolutions work with a game and selects the best possible one depending on a quality preset you select.

To take full advantage of this feature for as many games as possible:

1. Add the resolutions listed in the “Custom Resolutions” section of the vorpX help to your display driver. How to do that is explained there.
    2. Select a preferred resolution quality in the “Direct VR” page of the vorpX menu, click “OK & Save”, restart the game.

For games without auto resolution support 1600×1200 and 1920×1440 are good choices.

BTW: When you raise the resolution, keep an eye on performance (ALT+F), 45fps should be maintained.

If you change the “Play Style” to “Full VR” there won’t be any borders. However, to fully work in this mode the camera field of view has to perfectly fit the headset FOV. So unless there is a profile that does that for a game, you would have to do it manually. The Essential Hints Guide in the help has more details on that. For new users I would highly recommend using “Immersive Screen Mode” instead in such cases as it works without perfect FOV.

Abzo
    Participant

Thank you Ralf. And how about second game view on the monitor(when i put the hmd on my face) , how could i switch it off when i dont need it? Cause it makes very extra load for Video card, i think. There is same resolution as in the hmd.

Sorry if my question was answered before.

SingABrightSong
    Participant

SteamVR drivers were updated recently, but issues are unresolved. Attempting to run Fallout 4 under VorpX using the Samsung Odyssey still causes my entire machine to lock up. Most other (i.e not VorpX related) SteamVR issues are resolved, however.

cornfzd
    Participant

I tried the new January 26 update of “Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR” with VorpX and it was hanging the game video. I was trying Titanfall 2 in Desktop mode and the longest I lasted was wave 4 of 5 in Frontier Defense (10 min?). I tried 3 times, and it hung each time. In between I logged out or rebooted.

My system:
    Samsung Odyssey WMR
    GTX 1070
    Intel i7-4770K
    HTC Vive connected – but that isn’t booting with SteamVR unless I disable the Samsung Odyssey

Mirage
    Participant

I can confirm that before 10 min of play the game constantly crash. I’m using samsung odyssey on Resident evil 7 by steamvr.
    I think it should be great if you can find a solution for this.

Also with the full override my gamepad left thumbstick dont respond when moving left or forward.

VRluvin
    Participant

Well, although the Witcher 3 virtual theater crashes after a few with the Samsung odyssey, I want to send praise out to Ralf for creating this software. I have been playing Portal 2 with the new auto VR setting detection system and other than a little flicker of the larger than usual portal gun, it plays flawlessly and is an awesome experience in full VR with the Xbox controller and some room scale movement.
    Thanks for allowing me to play one of the best games ever made in this way!

Mirage
    Participant

I found the solution for the crashes i had. You just got to register the .exe of vorpx and the game you want to play to your anti virus and everything run smoothly.

Hope this will help someone.

spacecadet102
    Participant

In many games vorpX can auto adjust the resolution. For games with Direct VR auto resolution support vorpX is aware what resolutions work with a game and selects the best possible one depending on a quality preset you select.

To take full advantage of this feature for as many games as possible:

1. Add the resolutions listed in the “Custom Resolutions” section of the vorpX help to your display driver. How to do that is explained there.
    2. Select a preferred resolution quality in the “Direct VR” page of the vorpX menu, click “OK & Save”, restart the game.

For games without auto resolution support 1600×1200 and 1920×1440 are good choices.

BTW: When you raise the resolution, keep an eye on performance (ALT+F), 45fps should be maintained.

If you change the “Play Style” to “Full VR” there won’t be any borders. However, to fully work in this mode the camera field of view has to perfectly fit the headset FOV. So unless there is a profile that does that for a game, you would have to do it manually. The Essential Hints Guide in the help has more details on that. For new users I would highly recommend using “Immersive Screen Mode” instead in such cases as it works without perfect FOV.

OK so I understand all that but what Refresh Rate do I put for the custom resolution? 90 the refresh rate of the headset or 60 for my monitor or 45. I’m confused.

Abzo
    Participant

I have lenovo explorer, so most of the games crushin with vorpx after 5-10 min playing. Dont buy it. This is shit software.

spacecadet102
    Participant

I have lenovo explorer, so most of the games crushin with vorpx after 5-10 min playing. Dont buy it. This is shit software.

Already have it my friend. I bought it for Oculus Rift and I also am getting Lenovo. I would still like an answer to my question though. Anyone know what refresh rate to set for custom resolutions?
    Thanks in advance :)

Abzo
    Participant

Already have it my friend. I bought it for Oculus Rift and I also am getting Lenovo. I would still like an answer to my question though. Anyone know what refresh rate to set for custom resolutions?
    Thanks in advance 🙂

Why is it so important? gta 5 gets 45 fps on gtx 1080 with resolution 2880*2160 and it looks pretty amazing for me, but I cant reach the same quality and fps when changing vorpx options autores. far cry 3 just the same( I want try it even more but nvidia custom resolution don’t let it)

But, the more resolution I make the faster vorpx is stuck. Games crashes, (exept alien isolation – it flowing nice) If I change resolution down, games playing stable longer but not much. Sometimes game unfreezes thru 2-3 min. I anticipate vive pro will have the same problem with more streaming requirements.Vorpx driver will stuck all the time.

spacecadet102
    Participant

Thanks in advance 🙂

Why is it so important? gta 5 gets 45 fps on gtx 1080 with resolution 2880*2160 and it looks pretty amazing for me, but I cant reach the same quality and fps when changing vorpx options autores. far cry 3 just the same( I want try it even more but nvidia custom resolution don’t let it)

But, the more resolution I make the faster vorpx is stuck. Games crashes, (exept alien isolation – it flowing nice) If I change resolution down, games playing stable longer but not much. Sometimes game unfreezes thru 2-3 min. I anticipate vive pro will have the same problem with more streaming requirements.Vorpx driver will stuck all the time.

Not really important. Just want to make sure I’m doing it the right way. I’m pretty burned out on playtesting different settings and would like to hear from Ralf the refresh rate to set to avoid hours wasted doing it the wrong way. I mostly use it for Skyrim and got it the best I can but havent tried to do it the way Ralf stated above. He just left out the Refresh Rate bit. Plus I only got a GTX970 so I really need to eliminate any unnecessary pixels and fps to squeeze out the best performance.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!