Any news on Vive

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Any news on Vive

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 252 total)
  • Author
    Codemonkey3
    Participant

I saw Sirchancealot made an account just to post so I figured I would too. Just like him ever since Vive release I’ve been lurking for news. I’m so excited to play legacy games on Vive with the VR twist.

I know they’re not roomscale and don’t have motion controls, I would actually prefer they didn’t. I don’t think a majority of people who want Vorpx for Vive want that stuff. Two members of my family and my close friend all have Vive’s pre-ordered and they’re all excited to play Fallout and Skyrim in VR. So am I.

I won’t ask for a release date or anything, I’m sure you’re working on it and it will be ready when it’s ready but a hint of a timeline would be a nice treat.

SirChancelotx
    Participant

I saw Sirchancealot made an account just to post so I figured I would too. Just like him ever since Vive release I’ve been lurking for news. I’m so excited to play legacy games on Vive with the VR twist.

I know they’re not roomscale and don’t have motion controls, I would actually prefer they didn’t. I don’t think a majority of people who want Vorpx for Vive want that stuff. Two members of my family and my close friend all have Vive’s pre-ordered and they’re all excited to play Fallout and Skyrim in VR. So am I.

I won’t ask for a release date or anything, I’m sure you’re working on it and it will be ready when it’s ready but a hint of a timeline would be a nice treat.

I didn’t make an account just to post ;) I am a proud owner of Vorpx :) just waiting for my Vive update :D

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ Noble : You can watch videos (including 3d movies) with vorpX either by using the desktop viewer with almost any video player that you might have on your PC or, if you use VLC or MPC-HC, with a special high quality video player mode that automatically kicks in when you use these players. Image quality wise that is as good as it gets in regard to watching videos on your headset.

edo
    Participant

Just for perspective, regarding Sickness and Skyrim. I have logged over 100 hours on Skyrim in Vorpx on my DK2 with no motion sickness. Yes it really depends on the individual but I also think it is something you can acclimate to.

Now GTA is another story. That one can catch me at random times even though I do not think the frame rate is that much different. Probably the fast motion vs plodding in Skyrim. Oh and Vanishing of Ethan Carter also doesn’t go too well even with my iron stomach.

Anyway I am looking forward as well to enjoying Skyrim with both the CV1 for its supposed improved visuals as well as trying out the Viv. It would be neat if someone created a teleport mod for Skyrim so you could walk around. As it is you can stand up and DK2 tracks you somewhat. Your head can move anywhere your wire can reach while walking. It just that your body doesn’t follow..lol Now someone should be able to fix that? right?

SirChancelotx
    Participant

Just for perspective, regarding Sickness and Skyrim. I have logged over 100 hours on Skyrim in Vorpx on my DK2 with no motion sickness. Yes it really depends on the individual but I also think it is something you can acclimate to.

Now GTA is another story. That one can catch me at random times even though I do not think the frame rate is that much different. Probably the fast motion vs plodding in Skyrim. Oh and Vanishing of Ethan Carter also doesn’t go too well even with my iron stomach.

Anyway I am looking forward as well to enjoying Skyrim with both the CV1 for its supposed improved visuals as well as trying out the Viv. It would be neat if someone created a teleport mod for Skyrim so you could walk around. As it is you can stand up and DK2 tracks you somewhat. Your head can move anywhere your wire can reach while walking. It just that your body doesn’t follow..lol Now someone should be able to fix that? right?

Nice. I am happy to hear that about Skyrim, maybe it won’t be an issue for me also. As for a teleport mod they actually have one, you point and cast as a spell and you teleport like you do in the photogrammetry thing.

Thanks for the heads up on Skyrim! :)

Marco
    Participant

One important question: will Vorpx game on Vive perform as well as Dk2 on the same computer? I have a 970 and planning to upgrade as soon as the new generation of graphic cards comes out.

I’ll try to explain better: if a Vorpx game works flawlessly on my PC and Dk2 headset, should i expect to run as well as when using a Vive or will the new hardware require a stronger graphic card to pull out similar performances?

Thanks

gruey
    Participant

One important question: will Vorpx game on Vive perform as well as Dk2 on the same computer?

If you are talking DK2 before 1.3, then there’s a good chance. The Vive does run at a higher resolution and fps, but does have some other optimizations.

1.3+, it’s hard to say. I find asynchronous time warp to be some magical stuff, greatly extending the range of playable stuff. It’s possible the lower specs + ATW would make something playable on a DK2 that’s not on the Vive.

In addition, Ralf has put a lot of optimization work into the Oculus SDK interface. It’s quite possible some of the tricks he uses won’t apply to the Vive, again increasing the range at which the DK2 would outperform the Vive. Of course, you never know.. maybe he’ll find something in the OpenVR SDK that’ll make things faster than Oculus.

TLDR: they are different enough that all you can really do is hope and wait to see.

Congo1986
    Participant

After posting this on the oculus reddit Vorpx post in reddit I am even more stoked for Vorpx with the Vive! I’ve completely hyped myself up. Ralf, give us some kind of update! Even if you say, ” it will be atlllllleast 3 more months…” I will still be happy because I would have a rough idea of how long I might be waiting! Haha, we are begging you

Ralf
    Keymaster

A lot earlier than three months.

Fredthehound
    Participant

Hi all, Just an FWIW/IMO…

I’m a huge fan/player of Skyrim/Fallout and built/adapted my rig specifically for them. Been playing video games since the Pong arcade machine so I’m not a newb ;) Personally, I am just fine without roomscale features, though I wouldn’t complain if they ever come into being. As long as I can simply ‘see’ the world in actual VR, look around etc, I’ll haZ the happy of the Cheezbzburger cat at a McDonalds free food day.

Because the Beth games have such a force of talent in the modding community, I have little doubt that once the top names get their hands on Vives and Rifts, we will see as many incredible mods for them as we did in the normal games.

And considering, last I looked, Skyrim was still ridiculously high on Steam’s use list in spite of it’s age…well, I predict a much longer life thanks to VR. With the creation Kit for F4 about to release and the much better engine driving it/DX11 vs DX9, I’d imagine it will be easier to deal with for VR modder-devs.

But my overall point is that there are a L O T of us that want it, will use it and will pay for such functionality as required. It will take time of course. I don’t seriously expect seamless experiences day 1 or even day 100. But the possibility of Sky in VR is what drove my Vive purchase to begin with. I doubt I am alone. And it will only get better as time goes on.

Marco
    Participant

Thanks Ralf for giving that hint about the release, and to Gruey for his answer. I found a second hand Dk2 from a second hand stor, they offer “2 ys warranty” and buy back in case i won’t need it more once my Vive arrives and it’s ready to go. This way, i feel like in a win-win situation. In am planning to keep both for multiplayer with 2 pcs.

moarveer
    Participant

So can we expect a Vive version in April-May? Everyday the first think I check is if Vorpx is already available for Vive, I want to know if there’s a reason to that right now.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If there was a definitive release date, I would share it. All I can say right now is: as fast as possible, or in old ID Software speak: when it’s done. Might take another two or three weeks, but might also take just days.

SirChancelotx
    Participant

If there was a definitive release date, I would share it. All I can say right now is: as fast as possible, or in old ID Software speak: when it’s done. Might take another two or three weeks, but might also take just days.

VorpX 3 confirmed!

ShockwaveGT
    Participant

I’m more excited for this than I am for Half-Life 3

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 252 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!