Any news on Vive

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Any news on Vive

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 252 total)
  • Author
    SirChancelotx
    Participant

I have a hard time to see something that actually enables you to do things you couldn’t do otherwise as a disadvantage in any way. If you don’t like it, just don’t use it. For you that’s the same as if it wouldn’t exist at all, which apparently you would prefer. Noone has a problem with that. Meanwhile others can still use it to make games playable in a decent way on their machines, which could not really be played otherwise.

Yeah, well let’s just see what people with the vive think about Z3D when they try to do room scale and walk around. A lot of people won’t be happy!! The amount of hate that is coming your way if you don’t explain it to people is something I don’t want to see

Why would we try to get up and walk around in skyrim? At least give us the benefit of the doubt that we have researched what Vorpx is and how it works. We are just excited to experience our favorite games in a new more immersive way. Give us some credit that we know all of our Vorpx experiences will be seated ( unless we get the omni virtuix )

Ralf
    Keymaster

vorpX indeed will not enable room scale VR for any game. There will be a solution to make this clear.

Doing room scale in retroactively applied VR would result in you being able to walk through walls and cause a lot of other unwanted issues. The recommendation for all games will be playing seated.

@ peteostro : I understand that you don’t like it, I also understand why you don’t like it. What I don’t understand is why you don’t just ignore it and instead complain all the time about something noone forces you to use. vorpX could be done without Z3D anytime, that would be a lot easier as it would save a lot of extra work. There wouldn’t be any benefit at all for you though. You just would lose the ability to play games that don’t work with Geometry 3D for one or the other reason. As things stand now this is even more true on the Vive than on the Rift, as Vive currently works rather poorly below 45fps.

dellrifter22
    Participant

For me, having Z3D on is far better than playing with it off. What is the point of VR if you can’t get an impression of 3D space? True, G3D does have a more solid look to it, but due to poor performance I find myself switching back to Z3D in almost all cases. Once you tweak it’s depth and strength a bit, you can get it to look pretty believable. I for one am super glad to have the Z3D option.

Back on topic about the Vive: Ralf, any further developments on the sub 45 performance? Have you pin pointed the problem? Tested any solutions?

Sorry to press. My vive order is being processed this week, and I’m wondering if I should cancel it and order a rift instead. I like what extra the vive brings to the table with roomscale, but realistically I will be spending more time in traditional games with the likes of Vorpx.

I know it’s early, but are you optimistic about the vive? Will it have any advantage over the rift as far as Vorpx is concerned?

cyrilp
    Participant

Hi will Vorpx let us watch 3D iso movies on the vive ?

Serzhas
    Participant

Indeed! Z3D is VERY nice to have, Ralf! I’m into 3D Vision since 2010, and I know the difference between G3D and Z3D very well. Both in how it looks like and what is performance toll for it to use. On my system I currently play The Division with Z3D (fake 3D) and it looks AWESOME. Sure, it nowhere near as good as it would look in G3D, but it runs on 60 FPS maxed out on my single 980 Ti! That’s really great! And also, since G3D mode IS NOT POSSIBLE in The Division (currently at least), Z3D is the only way to experience stereoscopic 3D in it. To stop complaining about Z3D low quality, just start the game in 2D, and after few minutes switch to Z3D mode. And you will have your jaw on the floor, I believe! :D
    Same is applied to VR in even greater extend, since VR is very dependent on high FPS rate.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ dellrifter : Experimenting with different things in regard to sub 45fps performance will be this week’s work, so nothing I can say right now unfortunately.

Personally I wouldn’t base my decision for a headset on vorpX alone, but if that is a major consideration for you, currently I would recommend the Rift. That may change though if I get vorpX’s custom timewarp to work in a decent way on Vive. Currently it doesn’t really work as intended.

If that can be addressed this week one way or the other, both headsets will be on par in regard to vorpX. If not, the Rift will have a clear advantage in regard to vorpX.

BTW: It’s important to note that frame rates below 45fps aren’t really desirable on the Rift either, you should always aim for something in the 50-60fps range minimum if possible and rather sacrifice visual fidelity for that.

@ cyrilp : Yes, either through the vorpX desktop viewer with almost any video player, or better using MPC-HC or VLC, which both are are supported with a special high quality video player mode in vorpX. Side-by-side or over-under 3D content can be configured directly in vorpX regardless of the player you use.

@ Serzhas : I couldn’t agree more.

cyrilp
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. You are mentionning Side-by-side or over-under 3D: is it possible to watch regular 3D iso too ?
    is there a tutorial somewhere ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

3D movies are either in side-by-side or over-under format. Hence I mentioned both. Both are regular 3D movies. If you have a 3d movie on your PC you just have to open it in any video player.

bcozier
    Participant

As far as 3D movies on iso that will require a conversion tool to rip out the left and right eye images to create a new MKV SBS file. I have some 3D imax blu-rays converted in Full SBS format that I used with DK2 and MaxVR. I can only image how nice they would look in CV1. The tool I used was SSIFSucka. I heard there’s also another called 3DBD buster. Better to use a VR movie player that will make use of the oculus sdk for better image quality han just a regular player like VLC.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Dedicated movie players have their advantages in regard to UI and usability. So there are good reasons to use those, not a single doubt about that.

Image quality wise however I’m quite confident to say that VLC or MPC-HC with vorpX are among the very best VR video player experiences you can get anywhere. Minimum amount of resampling/rescaling combined with vorpX’s Crystal Image provides an image as clear and sharp as possible on current headsets. Hard to beat.

peteostro
    Participant

I do not have a major issue with Z3D is great for some games but when ralf states there 150 titles that support G3D while technically true, 99.99% of users can not use this mode in a lot of these games its to demanding.

Also a lot of vive people are thinking wow, room scale in old games which will just not work with Z3D. I happy to hear that ralf said he will adress this. I hope he follows through

cyrilp
    Participant

As far as 3D movies on iso that will require a conversion tool to rip out the left and right eye images to create a new MKV SBS file. I have some 3D imax blu-rays converted in Full SBS format that I used with DK2 and MaxVR. I can only image how nice they would look in CV1. The tool I used was SSIFSucka. I heard there’s also another called 3DBD buster. Better to use a VR movie player that will make use of the oculus sdk for better image quality han just a regular player like VLC.

it’s not possible to mount a 3D iso movie and play it directly ? you have to convert it first ?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Pete, I think it’s enough now. I’m a patient man, but consider this a serious troll warning. You made your point and you made it more than often and more than clear enough.

Noone ever promised anything like room scale VR for hundreds of games that weren’t even made for VR. The recommendation for all games will be playing seated. And there will also be ingame hints about this. Technical considerations aside, common sense will probably tell most people that Skyrim won’t fit into their living rooms.

It’s also probably obvious to almost everyone that rendering a game twice for stereoscopic 3D is a lot more demanding than rendering once on the monitor. This has been the case since there are stereo injectors, which means for about 15 years. It’s not unique to vorpX in any way.

It’s also not unique to vorpX to provide an optional Z-Buffer based solution to address exactly this issue. All major 3D-drivers for monitor gaming do exactly that.

You are not forced to use it. And if you are lucky enough to have a machine that can even play performance hogs like Fallout 4 in Geometry 3D at fluent frame rates, everybody envies you. Others will likely be happy to have an *OPTIONAL* solution that does not require them to buy a $3.000 PC to play it fluently in VR.

bcozier
    Participant

it’s not possible to mount a 3D iso movie and play it directly ? you have to convert it first ?
    [/quote]

When you say 3D iso movie, I assume you mean retail Blu-rays or rips. Unless something like PowerDVD starts to natively support oculus rift, the answer will be no. Unless according to Ralf you can use his desktop viewer and you can get a retail blu-ray player to display the iso in SBS format. That could work.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Blu Ray player players unfortunately will not work.

The whole pipeline from the disc to the monitor is encrypted and there is no legal way to capture the video in between. Doing this legally would require a license and a full video decoding pipeline instead of hooking into other players.

Since video isn’t vorpX’s main purpose, I leave that to dedicated video players.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 252 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!