Any news on Vive

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Any news on Vive

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 252 total)
  • Author
    bcozier
    Participant

I checked and PowerDVD will playback a 3D iso Blu-ray in Side by Side format. So combine that with the vorpx desktop viewer and it should be a viable solution.

bcozier
    Participant

I checked and PowerDVD will playback a 3D iso Blu-ray in Side by Side format. So combine that with the vorpx desktop viewer and it should be a viable solution.

Just saw Ralph’s post and forgot about the HDCP thing. Although if you are using PowerDVD 15 to output in side by side format I really doubt it will be using HDCP in that output format. It’s worth a try.

swirlser
    Participant

At least give us the benefit of the doubt that we have researched what Vorpx is and how it works.

I actually know little about how VorpX works, spotted someone talking about it on the Vive steam forum and was excited to think it would give me a way to experience my library with the VR headset.

I didn’t honestly think I would be physically running around in games with room scale or using the wands considering those really would require a game be built specifically for that. But beyond that, I’m not sure. The 3D part is pretty much a given (otherwise, what the hell does this thing do if not!), the part I’d like to know is, does this do head tracking?

As for the other topic of G3D vs Z3D, again I know little about this, but from what I can gather, one is the convincing method but a performance killer and the other the lite version that gives you a decent shot at FPS that won’t make you vom. If I understood this correctly, then I certainly appreciate the option and tbh it’s down to the individuals machine to drive the game at good FPS. I may know little about these VR topics, but I have been gaming at very high res for a long time, I’m aware what it takes to push around so many pixels.

SirChancelotx
    Participant

At least give us the benefit of the doubt that we have researched what Vorpx is and how it works.

I actually know little about how VorpX works, spotted someone talking about it on the Vive steam forum and was excited to think it would give me a way to experience my library with the VR headset.

I didn’t honestly think I would be physically running around in games with room scale or using the wands considering those really would require a game be built specifically for that. But beyond that, I’m not sure. The 3D part is pretty much a given (otherwise, what the hell does this thing do if not!), the part I’d like to know is, does this do head tracking?

As for the other topic of G3D vs Z3D, again I know little about this, but from what I can gather, one is the convincing method but a performance killer and the other the lite version that gives you a decent shot at FPS that won’t make you vom. If I understood this correctly, then I certainly appreciate the option and tbh it’s down to the individuals machine to drive the game at good FPS. I may know little about these VR topics, but I have been gaming at very high res for a long time, I’m aware what it takes to push around so many pixels.

For sure, and my apologies if I spoke on behalf of you/someone I shouldn’t have, I really can only speak for myself. There are a lot of great forum posts here and videos online that are great education tools, I really like a youtuber named ImmersiveGamer83, he is very thorough and helpful.

From my own experience in the post I was responding to I simply had not heard the promise of VorpX making games roomscale, and the opinion that was projected was not my opinion. I wished to clarify that of all the Vive postings I had read and the general consensus that I gathered, what I wrote reflected what I had seen. The original posting seemed to imply otherwise. I hope you find the info you are looking for!

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ swirlser : Yes, it does head tracking. For most typical PC games it does head tracking by emulating mouse movement, so this works even with games that aren’t officially supported and do not have Stereo 3D. Basically every game that has mouse look and that vorpX is able to hook into has rotational head tracking when used with vorpX. Games that support Geometry 3D also have positional head tracking.

swirlser
    Participant

Cheers, I appreciate the info. I know there’s info about, such as the “Basic facts” link right up there ^ (lol) BUT, when the word Oculus appears all over the place and Vive nowhere, even with the headsets being very similar, I tend to take that with a pinch of salt.

rirath
    Participant

Just another Vive owner wanting to mention that I’m looking forward to Vive support, and that I support the choices you’ve made. I know what to expect, and I’ll be buying as soon as the Vive support is available.

In my case, I have a weak stomach for most artificial motion, so I fully expect I’ll get most of my use from the Theater mode. Really looking forward to that, but I’ll give the 3D options a try as well.

Doing room scale in retroactively applied VR would result in you being able to walk through walls and cause a lot of other unwanted issues. The recommendation for all games will be playing seated.

Just for my own $0.02, I know there are a lot of issues to consider, but I’d be absolutely fine with being able to walk through walls. I think most of us roomscale guys know to avoid walking through them unless we basically want to noclip. :)

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s not really feasible for a number of reasons unfortunately.

The most important one is that most games would be totally unplayable this way since your graphical position would be different from the position that the game uses for player position related calculations. Hope that makes sense.

Another issue is that typical game environments are simply too large. Even if you have a relatively large VR space, let’s say 4x4m, that wouldn’t help much to move freely in a landmass the size of Skyrim or even your typical Call of Duty level.

There may be ways and workarounds for some of these issues in some games, and that will be explored later for a few important titles, but I won’t promise anything in this regard.

If you want to roam large levels and open worlds in a way that works straight forward and for most games, a locomotion platform is the way to go, not room scale VR.

Angrysloth
    Participant

Ralf thank you for your hard work.

I understand room scale limitations and I have an idea that could make some of Vive owners happy or help with motion sickness.

I saw this today and I would appreciate if you could have a look at it:
    RIPmotion: VR running in place locomotion

Could it be possible to implement use of a controller like that for straight movement input in your future software release?

Without positional head tracking, we could turn with head orientation-movement so we run where we look at in VR. Rest would be done by xbox or maybe steam controller.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Short update since this thread receives quite a few hits:

We’re one step closer, but not yet 100% there. vorpX’s custom async timewarp is now working good enough to handle short dips below 45fps almost glitch free. Not perfect, but a lot better than without.

What does that mean for you?

It’s now possible to play rather performance hungry games like Skyrim or Fallout 4 in Geometry 3D on a GTX970 with a Vive by sacrificing some image quality. If you can live with image quality similar to a Rift DK1, Geometry 3D with positional tracking (seated!) is now viable in most performance hungry games. Switching to Z3D allows full quality on such a machine, so there now really is a choice if a game supports both modes – even for games that need a lot of CPU/GPU.

Games that don’t put so much stress on your PC work at full quality with Geometry 3D if available without problems, of course. Just in case anyone wondered.

What remains to be done are mainly a few longer play tests and some docs and ingame hints regarding performance optimization to leave noone in the dark about what can be done to play games that are a bit difficult to handle.

Stay tuned. Fingers crossed that nothing big shows up during play testing.

moarveer
    Participant

Amazing news since that’s my configuration! I’ve already installed a dozen games for Vorpx, anxiously waiting for release.

SirChancelotx
    Participant

Amazing news since that’s my configuration! I’ve already installed a dozen games for Vorpx, anxiously waiting for release.

Yeah =D same here, that is my setup too. Great news!

LittleZ
    Participant

I thought I’d have my Vive before vorpx supported it, now it looks like Ralf is crushing the code and will be done before my Vive even ships!

This may be a little off topic, but on Thursday i got my “pre-order authorization” email saying to call my credit card company and tell them to expect a charge blah blah blah.

Well i took this to mean my Vive would ship soon, but it’s already Wednesday. So if anyone here got their Vive, can you give me an idea how long after the pre-order authorization email you received shipping notification?

I fear the hype may kill me.

SirChancelotx
    Participant

I thought I’d have my Vive before vorpx supported it, now it looks like Ralf is crushing the code and will be done before my Vive even ships!

This may be a little off topic, but on Thursday i got my “pre-order authorization” email saying to call my credit card company and tell them to expect a charge blah blah blah.

Well i took this to mean my Vive would ship soon, but it’s already Wednesday. So if anyone here got their Vive, can you give me an idea how long after the pre-order authorization email you received shipping notification?

I fear the hype may kill me.

I got my “It’s in the Works!” Email on 3/26, and received my “Your package has been shipped” on 4/4. I hope that helps =) It depends on if you mean the processing or Pre-order confirmation email. My Pre-order confirmation I received on 2/29.

LittleZ
    Participant

That does help very much, thank you!

At least now I can stop giving myself a heart attack thinking it might ship this week, and it if does ship this week, it will be a nice surprise ;-)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 252 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!