Starfield Hype Train – CHOO CHOO!

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Starfield Hype Train – CHOO CHOO!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    kgbrown247
    Participant

I just used the fov settings in the profile description for the starfieldcustom ini file although I am not using a quest. I am using a pimax crystal / varjo aero and have the same issue using both hmds.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Resolution is also set like in the instructions? The FOV in the instructions is only right for a square resolution. Make sure to follow the guide completely.

Alternatively wait until the game gets an official profile. It will do all setup steps automatically.

kgbrown247
    Participant

i did bump the res to 2880 in ini, vorpx virtual monitor, and actual virtual monitor via display settings and set 1:1 square.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Since I don’t really know what you meant with ‘wobble when turning head’ I’m not 100% sure what your issue is.

Best wait until an official profile is available. It will do all setup automatically.

If you still want to try without head tracking, try to remap the menu key as suggested in my reply to your first post.

romandesign
    Participant

gamepad override is the best option anyway because of head tracking. With such a configuration switching between controllers and gamepad works perfectly fine.

Now I’m confused. Emulators aside, this is EXACTLY what I’m trying to do: switching between controllers and gamepad (ground/flight). And it’s not fine because of that “override override” I guess… Triggering map opening on gamepad RP press/release etc. Or am I doing something wrong? But I think I have tried everything. Forget my joysticks via gamepad emulator setup, it just acts as a pure gamepad, and I verified the problem by connecting an actual gamepad instead of an emulator.

So yes, controllers and gamepad is my goal, essentially, and not simultaneously, but taking over one another, just as in a default game keyboard and gamepad take over each other. And that will be popular among many, just as it is in 2D mode. The fact that in my case joystick takes the place of a gamepad is irrelevant.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Yeah, it’s somewhat confusing for sure. Best either use a gamepad/joystick OR motion controllers, not both in the same session. Then you won’t encounter any seemingly unlogical behavior.

If you still have/want to for some reason:

Either switch Gamepad Override “On” and set motion controllers to mouse/keyboard OR gamepad override “Off” and motion controllers as gamepad. These combinations should work fine if for some reason you want to switch between motion controllers and a gamepad/joystick on the fly.

You can’t have motion controllers act as keyboard/mouse together with native gamepad or vice versa, that would not work as expected in games that can’t handle simultaneous gamepad and mouse input.

cole00
    Participant

So I’m back from Valencia, and I’m not reading 3 pages of posts lol is Ralf’s profile complete?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Still in the oven unfortunately.

I still have to iron out some stuff in the current beta, and since the profile will only come for 23.1.0, it’ll have to wait until those things are ironed out.

If you want to play now, please use one of the user profiles. They work fairly well. The one from romandesign even has motion controller gestures. The official profile will come with simpler (i.e. no) manual setup and a few advantages (dialog FOV, space FOV etc.), but otherwise the user profiles are working fine.

Make sure to follow the setup instructions:

Starfield Alpha v0.2 rev.b

romandesign
    Participant

Either switch Gamepad Override “On” and set motion controllers to mouse/keyboard OR gamepad override “Off” and motion controllers as gamepad. These combinations should work fine if for some reason you want to switch between motion controllers and a gamepad/joystick on the fly.

I did try all those combinations before, and it still had the same problems: looks like VorpX VR controllers still send some keyboard commands when external gamepad is triggered, which should not happen. That’s the point. I’d be perfectly happy if VorpX worked with controllers in keyboard/mouse mode with the real gamepad working separately and taking over when used – the game allows it. The problem is when I press/release button on the gamepad, some keyboard mapping triggers from VorpX. And I couldn’t get rid of this behaviour with any settings. This doesn’t happen without VorpX in 2D. Pressing/releasing RB on the gamepad doesn’t open map :-) But as soon as VorpX is added – it does.

When you polish your official profile – please test it with a gamepad+controllers. See what happened when you press RB (Right Bumper) on the controller, when your gamepad override maps RB to “M” key. If the override is off, the “M” should not trigger, but you will see that it does. Also in spaceflight mode you will see icons go and flicker from round (gamepad) to square (keyboard).

Ralf
    Keymaster

That won’t work. It’s either everything simulating mouse/kb (motion controllers mouse/kb, override ON) or everything gamepad (motion controllers gamepad, override OFF).

I’ll look into this, but your scenario is a super super edge case. Normally one would use either use a gamepad/joystick OR motion controllers, not both in the same session. When you stick to either using motion controllers OR a gamepad you will never encounter any seemingly unlogical behavior.

romandesign
    Participant

motion controllers gamepad, override OFF

OK, but that combination still gave me the same result: junk key command sent by VorpX.

As a side effect, if VorpX and real gamepad would work simultaneously, as a single unit, it would create a very undesirable side effect: head movement would fight with gamepad/joystick control of the ship. I did see that effect, while still having the opening map bug.

I will retest simulating the gamepad with override off again, just to make sure, of course. Will try tomorrow. But it would actually be very logical if VorpX could just do keyboard/mouse, without touching any gamepad, and won’t fire keystrokes when the gamepad’s buttons are pressed, provided it’s in keyboard/mouse mode with override set to off. The the game would take care of keyboard/gamepad coexistance and priority. It’s the current behaviour that seems illogical. I just wanted to be clear that you understand the problem. Obviously, only you know if there is a good reason for VorpX acting that way and if that could be fixed or not. I’m just saying what I see and what it looks like from the user perspective. So my apologies for repeating myself.

romandesign
    Participant

Normally one would use either use a gamepad/joystick OR motion controllers

Again, sorry for repeating myself, but you may be right in general, but you are wrong about this game. The game that otherwise lacks many features does have a specific setting for simultaneous keyboard/gamepad use – precisely for people who want to use gamepad for flying! The setting would let you take over one mode with another at will, it’s BUILT this way so people can use both. Because flying with keyboard/mouse is extremely bad, and aiming is better with a mouse, wich most PC gamers prefer to awkward gamepad aiming. It’s not an edge case, it’s a very popular choice! My edge case is emulating gamepad with joystick, but it’s irrelevant for this bug, as for all intents and purposes it’s just a normal gamepad.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll look into it. That’s all I can say at this point, sorry.

Your scenario is a super super edge case. Normally one would use either a gamepad/joystick OR motion controllers, not both in the same session. When you stick to either using motion controllers OR a gamepad you will never encounter any seemingly unlogical behavior.

romandesign
    Participant

I’ll look into it. That’s all I can say at this point, sorry.

Thank you for looking into it. I appreciate all you can do. I’m just saying that it’s not an edge case at all for this game. It’s not my opinion, it’s mainstream. Here’s the quote from one mainstream media review: “Starfield fortunately makes it easy to seamlessly switch between the two devices … On PC, simply using your keyboard to move around will instantly change all prompts from controller to keyboard and vice versa. Feel free to use both if you really want to.” The game has a specific setting for it. There are many discussions online about using it that way.

I won’t bug you with this issue anymore, my apologies for the repetitiveness, just wanted to be sure you understand the issue before dismissing it. That’s all, my lips are sealed…

And thank you for the amazing product that allows VR fans to experience games in VR. Don’t let this issue make you think I’m not happy with VorpX. I’m truly amazed at how you manage to hack into games and make the VR it’s definitely worth the price of admission for me. No VR = I’m not playing it. For me it’s that simple. So thank you again for making it possible for me to enjoy Starfield.

smartin
    Participant

the user profile is great BUT i cannot use the controller at all. would an official profile fix that or can i bury my hopes of starfield in vr?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 202 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!