Starfield Hype Train – CHOO CHOO!

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Starfield Hype Train – CHOO CHOO!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    romandesign
    Participant

Ralf, I’m still having this weird problem with the gamepad interaction. I tried 2 different software gamepad emulators, and I tried a real X360 gamepad! I tried VorpX controllers in keyboard/mouse mode and in the gamepad mod. With full or partial gamepad override and with override off. With in-game setting of control takeover on and off. What happens is that in the starship when piloting, if you hold RB (Right Bumper) to use thrusters, the moment you release it – the map opens every time! In the middle of the flight. Press it again – it closes. But it’s not mapped to a map! It makes the flight almost impossible – not with thrusters, which are very important (you can’t use them until you unlock Pilot skill – 1st tier). Because of the way the game works, it shows keyboard key symbols if you use the keyboard, and controller button symbols when you use the gamepad, I think it has something to do with how VorpX is not actually emulating the gamepad! Because when I use the actual gamepad sticks (or its emulator) I see the round buttons (gamepad mode), but the moment I press any button on the gamepad, or use the controllers – it changes to square keyboard icons. So I think VorpX is not actually acting as a gamepad, despite the fact that I set it to gamepad mod, saved, and restarted the game. Looks like in the VorpX menu the gamepad buttons are still mapped to keys, right? Can it work as a true gamepad instead, and coexist with a real gamepad? Or if not – it should not glitch into keyboard mode once a real gamepad button is pressed.

Any idea how it can be fixed? It’s driving me crazy!

So, once again, my goal is to use a motion controller as a gamepad when walking, but a real gamepad (or joysticks via gamepad emulation) for flying. Both at the same time. The game has a great override setting, which is normally on (I tested it off too): when it senses the gamepad it overrides the keyboard and vice versa. So in theory, when I use a gamepad the controllers should not generate any input. But when I click a gamepad button, I see the game icons glitch between round gamepad/square key icons very fast, so it must mean that the VorpX is still generating key input when the keypad is pressed. How to avoid it?

romandesign
    Participant

Correction – when I set both Gamepad mode and gamepad override as off, saved and fully restarted the game – the controllers were not working at all as a gamepad, but the emulator (or real gamepad) was working fine, and no map opened via button presses. But as soon as I set it to override the gamepad, or act as keyboard/mouse – I get this map pop-up in flight on RB relese.

It’s almost there! If not for this bug, otherwise it’s working – I use controllers on land, and my joysticks in flight – and it feels great, up to the moment I try to use thrusters. “Select Target” button (A) also glitches sometimes, possibly due to the same problem. IT’s some conflicting between gamepad/VorpX. I tried without VorpX – just with real gamepad/keyboard and there is no such problem – I can seamlessly use keyboard and gamepad, one overrides another perfectly, no map popup, no flicker of icons: once I touch gamepad – they stay round, and once I touch keyboard – they stay square No flicker at any point. But as soon as I turn on VorpX – it starts again, even though it should just emulate keyboard presses without doing anything different than the keyboard…

romandesign
    Participant

Hmm, it looks like I may have solved it: in-game control takeover setting = on, VorpX mode = keyboard/mouse, game override = FULL, but (!!!) in the key mapping for the gamepad buttons override I erased all mappings. Now, when previously even with the gamepad override=off it flickered and opened the map. M was the gamepad RB override key, but even when it’s off – it engaged it! But now the icons flicker still, but map is not opening and I can use in-game override properly, so my joysticks work fine until I tak over with controllers on land.

I haven’t tested it properly yet, but it seems to work. Maybe this way it will also work with override=off. It was still using those mappings despite the override being off, somehow.

Starfield is capable of handling gmaepad and keyboard but not simultaneously – they override each other ontil the othe one is used, which is just what I want. Land = controllers, flight = gamepad (joysticks).

Ralph
    Participant

it might happen because of the new update v1.7.33 ?

romandesign
    Participant

What I found is a workaround for a definite bug:

it might happen because of the new update v1.7.33 ?

No, it was the same before the update, I wrote about it before.

It also works now with override=off. The key part was clearing all gamepad button assignments. I think it’s definitely a VorpX bug: with gamepad override=off it should not use those gamepad key mapping at any time, but it still does, on releasing the real gamepad button the override still happened, at least for the RB, but possibly on all of them. I think it still happens, because the icons change to square keys on all gamepad button presses – they change to round icons when gamepad axes are used, but any button changes them back. That tells me that VorpX is still trying to use keyboard mappings for gamepad buttons, and only fails because all mappings are now blank. Definitely something for Ralf to look at. It should not behave this way…

Ralf
    Keymaster

with gamepad override=off it should not use those gamepad key mapping at any time, but it still does, on releasing the real gamepad button the override still happened,

That sounds super weird. The functions that apply the mapped key presses aren’t called at all when the override is off. Thanks for the heads-up anyway. Sounds unlikely, but I’ll check it to be sure.

Ralf
    Keymaster

I think I know what’s going on, or at least I have guess: there can be situations where motion controller settings override the ‘gamepad override’ setting. That’s on purpose and necessary depending on the motion controller/gamepad config.

Please check whether your issue also occurs when you disable motion controllers entirely. If it goes away in that case, that was the culprit.

Generally use either a gamepad or motion controllers, not both in the same game session. Then you shouldn’t encounter this issue.

romandesign
    Participant

Please check whether your issue also occurs when you disable motion controllers entirely. If it goes away in that case, that was the culprit.

I think I did that at one point, when I was trying to figure out if it was my emulator at fault, or a game had a bug. As far as I recall, it didn’t happen with controllers disabled. So you may be right.
    Though, it’s definitely the “override” mapping that was triggered – it’s the “M” key that was assigned to RB and the map opened every time on RB release. And now when I cleared the “M” mapping, it doesn’t happen anymore, but the game icons still turn to squares, so something switches the game to “keyboard” mode. The icons twitch every time a gamepad button is pressed (for example “A”). It looks like every time I press a button (or actually release – it seems to happen on release!), VorpX triggers a key, even with override=off and all gamepad key mappings empty.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Probably what I meant. When motion cotrollers are set to keyboard mouse, enabled and have been detected as active, the gamepad override gets enabled no matter what you have set. Something like that at least, I don’t recall the exact combination of settings that trigger this beahvior 100%. What I do recall is that I had a reason to handle it that way.

That shouldn’t be an issue normally, since typically one uses either a gamepad or motion controllers, but not both together in the same session. Even if motion controllers are enabled in the menu, ‘overriding the override’ shouldn’t occur unless they have been used.

romandesign
    Participant

That shouldn’t be an issue normally, since typically one uses either a gamepad or motion controllers, but not both together in the same session.

With this game, it’s going to be popular. Many people are already using joysticks for flight and gamepads for ground, or gamepads for flight and keyboard/mouse for ground, and that’s why the game has this “take over” settings that allows to use both, just not at the same time, which makes sense. So maybe you could add a toggle setting that disables the override while the real gamepad is used, and enables it once any controller button is pressed? That would be nice. This game is huge, despite the critics, and it will be popular for years to come, so allowing it to be fully functional is a good idea. Flying with VR motion controllers is so bad, it beyond “ugh” – it’s just nasty. IMHO this prevents VorpX from being fully functional, at least for me, but I’m sure there will be plenty of people like me. Resolving this issue would make it as perfect as possible in a non-native VR game.

Despite whatever people say about Strafield not being the greatest success ever, you shouldn’t dismiss it: more than 10,000,000 of players and expected revenue of almost ~1 Billion. I’m sure some of those people will want to experience it in VR :-)

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’ll see what I can do. Switching between gamepad and mouse/kb is no problem BTW. The ‘override override’ is purely related to switching between motion controllers and gamepad/joystick. Probably not something many will do.

Due to the game not supporting simultaneous mouse/gamepad input using the gamepad override is the best option anyway because of head tracking. With such a configuration switching between controllers and gamepad works perfectly fine.

Ralph
    Participant

Three weeks after release, and still no official vorpx support of Starfield !

That is simply very sad !

Ralf
    Keymaster

No it’s not. Expecting profiles shortly after game releases is unrealistic. May sometimes be possible, but not always. If it wouldn’t sound too old fashioned, I’d almost be inclined to say: patience you have to learn, young Padawan. ;)

Thanks to you and romandesign there are two well working user profiles, also excellent instructions how to set things up. Kudos to both of you. So there’s no rush.

I still have to iron out some stuff in the current beta, and since the profile will only come for 23.1.0, it’ll have to wait until those things are ironed out.

kgbrown247
    Participant

Is there a way to disable the head tracking? I am getting a wobble when I initiate a head turn. I have researched and found that the del should open a menu but unfortunately, I cannot locate a menu to make any changes. I am using the alpha v2 profile and prefer to look around using a gamepad.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Did you set up the camera field of view? That doesn’t happen automatically with the current user profile. ‘wobble when I initiate a head turn’ sounds a bit like distortion caused by a wrong FOV.

Starfield Alpha v0.2 rev.b

As far as the menu is concerned: try remapping the menu to another key: config app > ingame key bindings.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 202 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!