vorpX 21.2.3 Available Now

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion vorpX 21.2.3 Available Now

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    Ogrescar
    Participant

Nice update. I had to remove a file named “-dxgi.dll” from my Skyrim game folder because apparently vorpx doesn’t like that name, even though it’s harmless since I renamed it, and is a left over of when I was playing Skyrim on my desktop. And I know that my dinput.dll is actually a dll loader but the new warning is nice, I guess.

Ogrescar
    Participant

Well removing that dll didn’t fix the problem, not permanently, it was just coincidental. Vorpx will occasionally attach to SkyrimSE, but most of the time it ends with the hook helper dialog popping up.
    The log file says not hooking swapchain due to VORPX_DXGI_SWAPCHAIN_HOOK_MODE_METHODS_ONLY setting.

Anyway, I was playing the game last night and after this update it won’t hook. I’ve tried toggling fullscreen, different resolutions, SteamVR instead of Oculus and it hooked a couple of times but without a consistent pattern.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Did you try to install the hook helper?

Apart from that:

There have been a few cases recently where a mod loaded through one these loaders caused a conflict. The warning message is pretty much just a reminder to always take things like that into consideration when something unusual occurs with a modded game.

vorpX now switches to that hooking method when a DLL loader is detected to allow mod UIs that also hook the graphics pipeline to show in the headset. That solved an issue someone had with mods in Resident Evil 2. I pretty much suspected that might lead to some issue with some other mod elsewhere. There was no way to find out except trying though…

Would be great if you could figure out what mod in particular causes your problem and send me that info to support at vorpx com.

Ideally just don’t use any mods that also hook the graphics pipeline unless they are absolutely essential for you. That’s always actively asking for trouble.

Ogrescar
    Participant

Well, as it turns out, Riva Statistics tuner was interfering, even with the OSD turned off. It hadn’t been an issue before with SkyrimSE, but shutting it off appears to have fixed the problem.

pixelcowboy
    Participant

My installation was corrupted by the updater.

pixelcowboy
    Participant

Nevermind it was Bitdefender doing Bitdefender things.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Just tried the RDR2 camera and gotta say – pretty neat implementation so far, nice work Ralf!

Apart from some noisy AA outlines, the AFR G3D looks decent, performs well, and runs surprisingly smooth while headtracking. I don’t begin to notice any alternation until I use mouse input, which immediately causes interruptions. I think this mod is clearly intended for controllers (having movement restrictions for decoupled rotation), so if that is your preferred why to play, this mod probably works quite well. It feels much more of a VR experience now.

For those of us who play mouse and keyboard, is there a way use AFR for 3D only, without the control modifications? I can’t strafe walk, or steer the horse. wasd movement and mouselook don’t behave the way you expect.

Also, are there any values we can edit for the camera strength or position? In my HPG1 everything looks small, at about 1/2 scale. Holding my toy guns riding on a pony :))

Impressed so far though. Time to check the other things.

dborosev
    Participant

Just tried RDR myself. Looks super promising! But did I miss some setup details somewhere? I reset the profile to default.
    I used directVR and fullVR. It looks great standing still, but I noticed quite a lot of visual epilepsy when playing at 1920×1440 on med-high settings.
    I dropped the rez and settings down, and its definitely better. But its a bit blurry – regardless of rez or settings.
    Is there anything else I need to set for it to work properly? Anything in the game settings? Might just be my 1080ti lack of power, but I don’t think so.
    I’ll play with it a bit more and see if I can figure it out.

dborosev
    Participant

Ok, so changing the res to 1440×1920 completely cleared up the blurriness. (Again, did I miss a blurb somewhere explaining how this should be set up?)
    But I did notice 2 other things.
    1) I can see the edges of the screen in this new vertical resolution. Not that big of a deal and still very playable. Am I res’ing wrong?
    2) Running it with VorpX this way seems to have killed off the ability to move side to side. Which is pretty critical for moving in cover. (just testing with the KB&M) Any way around this? I plan to use the oculus controls if possible, will that fix it?

Great work Ralf, can’t wait to play it.

dborosev
    Participant

And
    3) Is there a way to un-decouple the head movement from the turning? Not a huge fan of turning with the joystick.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@both

The “visual epilepsy” at low FPS is why noone does alternate frame 3D normally. It really just works well enough at high frame rates. Where exactly the threshold lies before things become too uncomfortable is pretty subjective, but I’d say anything below 60fps (i.e. 30 per eye) starts to look decisively odd in motion. Some of the oddities the method introduces by rendering each eye at a different time can be tricked away during frame interpolation in VR, but not everything.

You should ideally shoot for 90/90 in the ALT+F fps counter (or 80/80 with Rift-S, 72/72 with Quest). That means the images get submitted at full rate while each eye gets rendered at half of that. At least the second number should be your headset refresh rate. That improves things a lot since it allows vorpX to factor in gamepad/mouse rotation into the frame interpolation, not just head rotation.

The slightly unusual controls are a side effect of how the cameras are implemented. Takes a bit of time to get used to, but in the end I found it actually quite nice this way since walking and turning with just one stick is actually closer to natural movement than your usual shooter strafing. That said, I’ll see what I can do about that, can’t promise anything though.

The 3D-Strength is actually physically correct, or at least almost. The beauty of doing 3D within a game engine with known scale is that there is no guesswork involved in that respect. The virtual eyes are 6.4cm apart. This distance is what defines the perceived scale. The fully correct way would be to bind it to the dialed in headset IPD, which will definitely be done. I’ll think about an additional customizable offset, would like to keep it simple though.

Res: 3:4 is a bit too narrow. I would suggest a 4:3 res instead, which is a bit more than required horizontically, but that’s actually helpful – especially with AFR 3D – since it leaves a bit of wiggle room on both sides for vorpX’s ‘Timewarp’ (frame interpolation) before black slides in from the sides when rotating your head. For a few extra FPS go for one of the ~8:9 resolutions from the Custom Resolutions recommendations on top of this sub-forum.

dborosev
    Participant

“since walking and turning with just one stick is actually closer to natural movement”
    except in this, the walking is done by the left stick, and the turning is done by the right stick. Or did you mean walking with one stick and turning with another stick is closer to natural?
    Just want to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Ralf
    Keymaster

You should be able to turn with the left stick. The right stick still does turning too as it does normally, but you don’t need it.

dborosev
    Participant

Ah ok glad I asked. Thats why I hate the controls so much. :)
    I’m just using the oculus controls, and its not functioning like you say. Left stick on the oculus wand does not turn for me. Something I need to set up in vorpx controls maybe?
    I’ll play with it a bit today and see if I can get it to work. Worst case I can use a gamepad hopefully.

Megablaster
    Participant

Hi Ralf, so is it currently the situation that my copies of local profiles won’t save properly?! So I can’t save my settings & upload them for other users to enjoy. Or am I missing something? Is there a *correct way to save your copies of profiles so you don’t need to reload everything every time you restart a game?! Appreciate any help you could give, thanks…….

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 180 total)
  • The topic ‘vorpX 21.2.3 Available Now’ is closed to new replies.

Spread the word. Share this post!