vorpX 23.1.0 BETA

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion vorpX 23.1.0 BETA

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 311 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

You can simply reinstall the last official release over the beta install.

To be on the safe side you might want to backup your entire C:\ProgramData\Animation Labs\vorpX folder since there is a certain chance that profiles/settings saved with a newer version don’t fully work as expected with an older version. I take great care to not break older profiles for newer vorpX versions, but guaranteeing that things always fully work the other way around (i.e. newer profiles with older vorpX) is essentially impossible.

So in case anything unusual happens after downgrading back to the last official release it makes sense to have backup of the original profile database.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Virtual monitor seems to be working pretty well. Nice work.

It kicks on automatically when I turn off my physical monitor as you designed, but if I turn my monitor back on during gameplay it causes conflicts. So I learned not to do that :)

The only problem I encountered is that you can’t alt tab to desktop view to enable fov mods or reset sound devices if needed. Fortunately my Varjo software can bring up the desktop view in my headset at the push of a button on the hmd, but there should probably be a similar vorpX solution.

Also, when I turn the virtual monitor back off, it resets my sound device to the system default instead of my headset, so I need to manually switch it back. It’s possible that is my audio software’s fault, but I just thought I’d mention it.

Testing 8K super-sampled visuals for the first time in vorpX (Z3D) has given me a pleasant glimpse into the future. It is making it difficult to resist grabbing a scalped 4090 now. I thought I would have to buy a 4k monitor to test this out, but with the virtual monitor, now I don’t need to :)

I do hope that in the future we will be able to customize our own resolutions for the Vmonitor, even if by some cfg edits. I know the purpose is to prevent people from needing to do any setup, but I often like to find the best resolution fit for fov/aspect ratio/performance on a game by game basis. If it’s not much trouble, that would be nice to have.

Oh, and the viewmodel tool seems to be working easy enough, although I’m not sure the hide positioning part is functional yet. Or at least I don’t know how to trigger it in gameplay. But honestly it was mainly just the position and scaling of the viewmodel that I wanted most, and it’s working as expected. It’s just a shame that in some games scaling these models can effect other props or structures in the game. So it has limited use cases, but I’m very glad it is now among the tool set. Thanks.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

@dellrifter22 Keep an eye on Microcenters if you have any near you (or you know anyone who lives near one and will do you a favor.) That’s how I managed both my 3080 Ti and my 4090 at MSRP(or very close). When they get them they sell them only to walk-in buyers and only 1 per household.

@ralf. I’ve sent you a request to download the prior installer so I can have one to install. Until then, I tested the Beta booted from my cloned drive instead of my primary and found this so far: 1) It does not detect when I turn my monitor off. Probably because I use an older 3D HDMI display, and AFAIK detect on/off is a DP thing. At least, I’ve never seen a computer detect that over HDMI. 2) Enabling the virtual display changed my monitor scale and resolution on my primary display the first time, but not in subsequent toggles on/off. However, it continually interferes with the scaling on my primary display when the virtual display is activated, and requires a restart to correct it. (I use a 1080p display running at 4K 225% scale, as this allows me to run my games at 4K without desktop icon positions getting reset, etc., every time I run a title.) The result is hard to explain, but it’s a bit like trying to use the scaling feature with no DSR smoothing factor. Note that I use the Legacy Scaling feature, not the newer one from Nvidia, as the newer one does not provide access to the resolutions I desire.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Interesting info re DP vs. HDMI, I’ll check that. Not something I could do anything about, but still useful to know. Same for your scaling changes, that’s apparently what Windows does for whatever reason on your machine. Normally I’d expect that only the virtual display’s scaling gets adjusted when it is added. At least that’s what happens here.

dlee
    Participant

I tried the new beta last night with Dishonored. I really like the new “waiting room” with tips that you get on startup.

I missed the documentation on how to use the virtual monitor so I need to experiment more when I have time.

dlee
    Participant

Ok I tried it out again. I had to unplug the HDMI cable from my “TV as monitor” because powering it off wasn’t enough to stop it from being detected. Once I did that the virtual monitor worked perfectly.

I played Dishonored. I cycled through a few of the Vorpx resolution presets and they all worked and none said the monitor didn’t support them.

I used a Samsung Odyssey Plus WMR headset. Played with a 360 gamepad.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Someone recently guessed that Windows only detects monitors as being on/off via display port. If yours has a display port input, using that instead of HDMI *might* do the trick. Alternatively you can activate the virtual monitor manually via the vorpX tray icon’s right click menu. Only drawback is that you will have to select in manually in games that way.

I’m currently toying with forcing the virtual monitor to become the primary display when it is enabled regardless of the physical monitor’s state, but that’s a double edged sword in some ways, so not sure yet whether it will actually happen.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

@Ralf Thanks for the response. I’ll try the beta again very soon. Realistically I don’t know how I would ever use the virtual monitor though, not unless you can figure out a way not to make it interfere with the scaling on my primary display. Maybe if I run 200% instead of 225%. In theory zero DSR smoothing should be necessary in that scenario since 4K is exactly 4X 1080p, but Windows scaling has always been a bit wonky. Worth a shot anyway.

I believe I sent the correct request for a download of the latest non-beta, but have not received an email back with download link. Running the Beta from a sector-cloned boot-drive for now instead.

Out of curiosity I tested a few other displays and so far my experience has been this:
    100% of the HDMI monitors I’ve tried are seen as available even when they are off.
    However, my DLP (Optoma) on HDMI *does* report the on/off status. So this looks to be something HDMI is to be able to do, it just isn’t universally implemented.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The virtual display is a display driver like any other, adding it is the same as adding another physical monitor to your PC. I have zero idea how scaling of your primary display can be affected by adding a secondary monitor, that’s just not supposed to happen. Also it’s not something vorpX does directly, stuff like that is entirely handled by Windows.

Anyway, you don’t have to use the virtual display. if you can’t figure out what causes this issue for you, you can use vorpX just like before and add custom resolutions to your actual monitor.

As far as download links are concerned, make sure to enter the same mail address into the form that you used to register vorpX. The system does not send links to unknown mail addresses.

RJK_
    Participant

If i may give a little hint concerning monitor resolutions.Its always a good idea to use high quality DVI cables (double shielded etc). I experienced not beeing able to use maximum resolutions of my monitor until i finally spent some money on a good cable. I can go way higher now than before surprisingly. 4400 and beyond on a 2011 ASUS VG278H. Hope this is not disturbing this thread ..

tawdry
    Participant

loving the virtual monitor, it works really well! i had issues with setting up custom resolutions and now i don’t need to solve them anymore!
    i can confirm that i also have to unplug my hdmi display for automatic switch.

however i have an issue with the rewritten desktop viewer. it’s my favorite desktop mirroring app and i have been using it lots since i got vorpx, and this issue is only occurring since i updated to this version.
    basically every head movement is extremely jerky. even if i lean back and hold my breath, the view still shakes with every heart beat!
    it also doesn’t happen in other apps.
    i am using hp reverb g2 and openxr runtime.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

The virtual display is a display driver like any other, adding it is the same as adding another physical monitor to your PC. I have zero idea how scaling of your primary display can be affected by adding a secondary monitor, that’s just not supposed to happen. Also it’s not something vorpX does directly, stuff like that is entirely handled by Windows.

As of the latest NVIDIA driver 528.49 this problem has resolved. I’m now running the beta as my primary vorpX install without many issues.

luka2099
    Participant

guys, can someone please explain to me how the virtual montior works? eneble virtual screen on tray icon , I set the resolution of that screen in windows. but do I have to do it before or after launching the game? I don’t understand what benefits I should have.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

@luka2099 Ralf will probably write something concise when this is out of beta, but in essence this creates a “fake” monitor that you can assign a game to run on. There are similar hardware solutions that are widely used to provide ‘monitors’ to computers which don’t have any physical monitor at all; I actually considered using one of those solutions for exactly the reasons Ralf built this virtual one; to make it far easier to access higher resolutions than your actual monitor supports.
    My example usage: My physical monitor is only 1080p. With NVIDIA super-sampling (DSR) this means the maximum I can *easily* set a game to run at is 4K. Anything above that becomes a PITA.
    If a game supports being assigned to a secondary display (most modern games, in my experience), then you can turn on the vorpX virtual monitor, set “Goat Simulator” to run on “Display 2” rather than “Display 1” (you actual screen, assuming you have only 1 physical monitor), and choose any resolution Ralf has programmed the vorpX virtual display to support. Alternatively you could plug in something like this (see Amazon link) and achieve a similar result; the downside being you could easily lose your mouse on the secondary display, since it does not actually exist. The vorpX virtual display is a nice idea since you can turn it on and off in software rather than plugging in and unplugging a physical device: https://www.amazon.com/FUERAN-DP-DisplayPort-Emulator-4096×2160/dp/B082J671N2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3JILL2N19V3IF&keywords=dp+headless+adapter+8k&qid=1676921150&sprefix=dp+headless+adapter+8k%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExV1ZRNlVLM1NTVUZJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDA0NDE2MkhPSlRHNjVKQTBFWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzg5MjIyMVREMk1ZTkpLQVNLUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I’ve played with the beta quite a bit now, with the following results:

Cyberpunk: AFR works on my 3D Display! That’s fantastic! I’m having a few issues where the depth will flatten out and then turn back on a frame or two later, but this does not appear to be performance related, or at least not entirely. I can sit there with settings that cause a scene to run at, say, 57fps, or 55fps instead of 60, and all is good. But other times the stereoscopy will flip off very briefly. I think it may be micro-stutters on texture loading. If this can be fixed then this is a fantastic solution for those with 3D Displays as AFR looks fantastic at only 60hz/fps on such a display, whereas AFR is almost unusable (to me, anyway) below 90hz/fps on an HMD. I have tried HAGS both ON and OFF to try and resolve the micro-flattening issue, but without success.

Universal: Neither Z3D solutions work on my 3D display with the beta, in any title. It’s just completely flat and Z3D does absolutely nothing. Bummer. Sure hope that can be fixed before the final release as I use vorpX with my 3D display almost as often as I use it with my HMD.

Cyberpunk: Running the HMD sync mode as follows for my Pimax 8k-x seems to provide the most consistent experience (and also provides the highest in-game fps): Sync method: Slow, HMD Multithreading: ON, vorpX frame-rate limiter: 50%, HMD refresh 90. (That is with the standard beta vorpX, not the Cyberpunk-specific mod.)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 311 total)
  • The topic ‘vorpX 23.1.0 BETA’ is closed to new replies.

Spread the word. Share this post!