vorpX 23.1.0 BETA

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion vorpX 23.1.0 BETA

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 311 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

oh, that looks great!!

Now I won’t need to get out the calculator to figure new resolutions :)

That was the idea. Why doing yourself, what a computer is made for. :) The steps between the predefined ones are fine grained enough to make adding your own unecessary in most cases, but now you can if you still want to.

None of that is related to the nVidia custom resolutions. If you get accustomed to using the virtual monitor for everything, you’ll never even have to think about adding resolutions to the GPU anymore. Also works perfectly fine with AMD GPUs

adzter
    Participant

Is that why you recommend switching your physical monitor off?
    Less fighting amongst refresh rates?
    Is it safe to say then, if you do have a physical monitor on, it’d be best if that also had a matching refresh rate? (eg. if the game is showing on your monitor, which is sitting at 60hz, and you have the game using vsync, then it could be vsyncing to that, rather than the 90hz of your hmd?)
    Sorry for all the questions, Ralf! Just very keen to understand the optimum way to run all your new toys.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Turning off the physical monitor (or disconnecting if Windows can’t detect that your monitor is off) just makes it easier for games to run on the virtual one. If only the virtual display is connected, you don’t have to care about selecting the right monitor in games. The virtual monitor always runs at the headset refresh rate, but if there is another one connected at the same time, you have to tell games which one to use in their video options. Also the desktop viewer always displays the primary monitor, so that only works as intened currently without other displays connected.

Anyway, don’t waste your time fumbling around with Windows multi monitor quirks if you are unsure how that all works. You won’t have to think about any of that anymore shortly.

The next beta will auto switch to the virtual monitor by just launching the desktop viewer and putting on your headset. vorpX will take care of switching off physical displays. Was quite an endeavour to ensure that the display config can’t get messed up permanently under various worst case scenarios when doing that, but now I’m reasonably sure to have that covered.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

The next beta will auto switch to the virtual monitor by just launching the desktop viewer and putting on your headset. vorpX will take care of switching off physical displays. Was quite an endeavour to ensure that the display config can’t get messed up permanently under various worst case scenarios when doing that, but now I’m reasonably sure to have that covered.

That sounds great Ralf. I really look forward to giving it a try. Sounds massively useful for games like FO3 (which I still routinely play through vorpX), in-which I have to continually muck about with the ini files and manually edit my preferred mode and resolution (because FO3 will “auto detect” and overwrite your edits over and over again due to perfectly normal activities such as updating your drivers.)

I guess I haven’t really looked yet, but my understanding is that the gesture system will be semi-universal? I’ll be able to create my own gestures if I wish, in titles like the aforementioned FO3? Or am I better off waiting until you have added custom gestures on a title-by-title basis? (Speaking of Aliens and gestures. I still have a working AvP on my Atari Jaguar. Someone needs to remake that for VR. Scary.)

Finally; as long as the vorpX virtual monitor isn’t loaded at windows start, wouldn’t a hard restart (not that we want to have to do that very often) always fix any “worse case” monitor config issue? Bios would detect the physical monitor as usual and Windows should automatically choose the only detected monitor to display on? At least, that would be the behavior I would expect.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The display config is stored in the Windows registry as soon as it changes. When you software-disable all actual displays with only an invisible one left and now the whole PC crashes hard for whatever reason, that’s what Windows thinks is the valid config on next launch. Say hello to a beautiful black screen. Looks like Armageddon for any normal person who just uses their PC. There are a shitton of safeguards in place that deal with such things – and even more that deal with lesser annoyances. Implementing the headset auto switch took two hours, making it airtight three weeks.

Unless I overlooked something serious, it’s now a really smooth experience: launch the desktop viewer, put on your headset, do whatever vorpX related stuff you want to do on the virtual display, at the end of the session take off the headset and your normal display kicks back in. That’s it. The programmer did his best work when the user doesn’t notice he did anything at all. :)

As far as FO3 is concerned, I’d suggest to leave automated settings changes enabled. I understand perfectly well that it’s sometimes against any decent tinkerer’s personal code of honor to not tweak everything manually ;), but FO3 is one of the games where vorpX automagically creates a next to native experience by pressing a single button if you just let it do its thing.

Gestures: the ones currently available already are enough to keep you busy most of the time. Shooting, interaction, driving, etc., a lot of the stuff you typically do in games is already covered. More is in the pipeline and recordable custom gestures are something worth looking into too, but that’s not a top priority right now. A good preset library that covers pretty much everything is more desirable.

Fearganainm
    Participant

Been trying out the beta, however when I enable desktop viewer, I no longer get the room and my virtual monitor loses many of my icons. Is this normal? Screen seems to be too close as well.

Fearganainm
    Participant

Ah the room is game/app specific? How do determine what resolution I am using on the virtual display?

Ralf
    Keymaster

Room: Change the ‘Play Style’ back to cinema mode in the vorpX menu. Comes with two different rooms and and a bunch of other background options. You can even import your own 2D/3D panorama images in the config app.

Resolution: As far as the desktop viewer is concerned ypou change them in the Windows display options currently. Guess I should add an option in the vorpX menu for that too to have it all in one place. In games you use a game’s video/graphics options (or the ‘Resolution Quality’ option in the vorpX menu if vorpX can handle changing resolutions for a game).

Icons: Windows just loves to shuffle around icons when you switch displays/desktop resolutions. One of the quirks that made me switch from a multi-monitor setup to a single ultrawide for work many years ago. Still hasn’t improved much since then. That’s one of the ‘lesser annoyances’ that I meant in my post above that the next beta will be able to take care of. It will ensure that all desktop icons are always visible on the virtual display.

Fearganainm
    Participant

@ ralf Thank you that clears a lot up. I wonder is there a plex profile or do I even need one?

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m not really familiar with Plex unfortunately, but if you are using the Windows Store app, vorpX *might* not be able to hook into it directly anway. Windows store apps may run in a sandbox that shields them from hooking, so the desktop viewer might be the only option anyway.

Sidenote:

There is an extra caveat in regard to video streaming, although it probably doesn’t apply to Plex. Windows has built-in video DRM, so the Netflix app for example only displays a black image when you try to capture its output window. Most other apps from big streaming services almost certainly behave the same. Unlikely though that Plex is affected by that.

If you want to watch protected content like Prime Video or Netflix your best bet is watching them in a web browser. If Chrome/Edge don’t work, try Firefox or vice versa. If none works, the streaming service doesn’t even allow capturing of (usually quality reduced) web browser streams.

Fearganainm
    Participant

It does work in desktop mode! Just tell vorpx not to hook. Watching it in 4k is pretty cool. For added immersion I made some skyboxes in that new AI stable diffusion app, Blockade Labs and imported them into the app. Work really well!

Fearganainm
    Participant

Having a major issue with the UI and lag. Nothing is responsive. Can’t get motion controllers to respond at all. Xbox controller too.

Fearganainm
    Participant

A restart seems to have fixed it. Geforce now works for me in Vorpx if anyone is curious about that. Is there a way to override the controller so that the vorpx menu doesn’t open while in play. For instance using L3 for running, the vorpx menu pops up. Can it be temporarily disabled, and just use M & K for menu ui interaction.

petey53
    Participant

Yes that can be disabled in the menu that pops up, in the controller part I think, its pretty easy to find, you will know it when you see it.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ Fearganainm: the option(s) petey53 means is on the ‘Input Settings’ page of the menu and called ‘vorpX Gamepad Buttons’. Let’s you define what action is mapped to what button and also disable the buttons entirely.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 311 total)
  • The topic ‘vorpX 23.1.0 BETA’ is closed to new replies.

Spread the word. Share this post!