vorpX 23.1.0 BETA

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion vorpX 23.1.0 BETA

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 311 total)
  • Author
    froptesa
    Participant

Hi Ralf, just some feedback on the Witcher 3, AFR works great. however headroll is reversed. positional tracking works on the x axis only i.e left and right.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The mod that comes with the profile only does 3D and FOV currently. The camera controls aren’t changed at all, hence moving your head feels kind of weird. Unfortunately the Witcher 3 camera is implemented in a way that makes converting it into something that works well in VR via the game’s scripting language a major PITA.

There is a first person mod for the game though that you can download from nexusmods. I haven’t tried it myself, but reportedly it works together with the profile’s 3D/FOV mod. Alternatively you can switch to immersive screen mode in the vorpX menu.

adzter
    Participant

Awesome stuff, Ralf. Thank you.
    Will try all these asap.
    I just upgraded from a 1080 to a 4090 today. It’s like Vorpx xmas up in here.
    There are games I’ve literally been saving since 2012 to finally be able to play them in hi-res at a solid 90fps. I don’t even know where to start. The first couple I’ve tested ran beautifully.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

@Ralf The mod you are looking for is Gervant First Person and it is absolutely brilliant. Full control over when you are in 1st v.s. 3rd person by context. Witcher 3 has animation issues with first person combat unless you run something that greatly slow game-time, for example, so if you prefer you can simply have GFP switch to 3rd person for combat. It has FOV controls, animation controls, a VR mode that hides your body if you prefer when in 1st person. It’s a very long list of features and all of them work pretty darn well.

IMHO you should start with that mod as a baseline for anything you do that’s Witcher 3 + vorpX related because that mod has already done a LOT of the work that you would otherwise need to do. I’ll certainly never play Witcher 3 without it (well, unless you implemented an entire set of similar features through vorpX, but that sounds like a huge amount of work.)

Unfortunately Witcher 3 (DX12 mode) is not currently supported through vorpX so I’m not able to say how well GFP plays with vorpX. Hoping an future vorpX release will work.

Ralf
    Keymaster

The problem with DX12 in Witcher 3 is that it’s not really DX12. Instead they use a DX11 > 12 wrapper that (unsurprisingly) clashes with vorpX. On top of that they implemented some RTX stuff. I’m 99% certain the whole thing is an RTX marketing stunt. They – almost certainly intentionally – made the raster shadows almost invisible and removed the best possible ambient occlusion method to make RTX stand out visually. Would be REALLY hard to spot any difference between the original version and RTX otherwise. I’m still surprised the internet wasn’t on fire.

The comparison shots below are all you need to know about this “Next gen upgrade”: http://imgur.com/gallery/f1M9DDd

adzter
    Participant

Hey Ralf,
    I confess I had a real bad time with the BETA.
    Anytime I enabled desktop viewer I ended up in loops, where it kept making my tv lose sync and flash on and off.
    A couple of times it refused to let me move my mouse. The mouse was simply stuck in the middle of the screen, so I couldn’t end task on Vorpx. I had to reboot.
    Then, when I sometimes could see the desktop on the g2, it was tiny.
    I’m assuming my main screen res and refresh doesn’t affect anything?
    You don’t have to set ‘extend’ or ‘mirror’ or ‘only screen x’?
    And the second ‘virtual’ monitor should just be a very small square on the right of your main screen when you go to display settings, since it doesn’t have an actual resolution set there?
    I know I’m doing something wrong, since everybody here has no problems.
    I’ve reverted back tonight just so I could play some Titanfall & Rocket League.
    But should I just try a reinstall of the BETA?

Ralf
    Keymaster

That’s why it’s a BETA. :)

Using the virtual display as an invisible second screen may cause all sorts of weird issues.

The best way to use it is launching the desktop viewer and switching off all other displays, it kicks in automatically when no other display is connected to the PC and turns itself off when another display gets reconnected. That’s the intended way to use teh virtual display. As some users made me aware, unfortunately Windows is not able to detect all monitors as off though unless they are physically disconnected.

The virtual display’s purpose is providing an easy way to switch to a display with all required custom resolutions predefined, with the added benefit of running at the headset refresh rate. Using it as an (invisible) secondary screen is possible, but that’s not really what it’s for. Consider that an option for tech savvy power users. If you encounter issues you can’t resolve while doing that, don’t do it.

The next beta will have the ability to turn the virtual display on/off when you put on/take off your headset (and switches on/off all other displays when doing that to make sure the virtual display is always the only one connected). That comes with its own set of challenges though that have to be taken care of first.

adzter
    Participant

Hey again Ralf…
    I wanted to try that SBS 3D Base profile, but I can’t figure out a way to attach it to games that already have profiles. There doesn’t seem to be a way to delete profiles for games that are already using an exe.

adzter
    Participant

Holy &^%$-balls…
    The new virtual monitor with desktop viewer is a game changer, Ralf. Truly.
    Decided to give it another go, and this time it gave me no trouble.
    Being able to test 3D games at different resolutions without no restarting or problems with sync etc has made things so ridiculously simple and painless.
    Brilliant work.

Ralf
    Keymaster

A little teaser for those who wanted some customization when using the virtual monitor. As a ‘normal’ user you won’t have to touch these settings at all since the virtual monitor comes with a huge list of resolutions predefined, but the tinkerers among you can now add even more. In a fairly easy and well thought out way, I might add, that doesn’t require more knowledge than having heard of things like ‘4K’ or ’16:9′, which probably almost everyone has.

On a sidenote: a highly curved 32:9 desktop that surrounds your head clearly isn’t what vorpX is primarily made for, but it *almost* makes working in VR have some actual advantages over a real (even ultrawide) monitor setup. Tried that for quite a while yesterday.

Uh, and I added gestures to Aliens: Colonial Marines yesterday. One of the games that all of a sudden start to feel almost like a native VR game by adding a bunch of motion controller gestures. If you never touched the game because it had a somewhat bumpy start when it came out, try it with the next vorpX beta and motion controls. Straight forward sci-fi shooter that works very well in VR. Can be played standing with full 6DOF tracking, but even seated it’s almost uncanny how much a few basic gestures can add to immersion.

marxzoo
    Participant

As an owner of an Eizo 2730Q, I welcome the addition of the aspect ratio of 1:1

Ralf
    Keymaster

Ha, didn’t know something like that even exists. The 1:1 resolutions are (obviously) meant for playing games in FullVR mode with the virtual monitor, but if you miss your 2730Q in VR, you can of course also use them with the desktop viewer. :)

adzter
    Participant

Question re: desktop viewer, Ralph.

Is frame limiting games of any value when using DV? I assumed DV already limits the game to the refresh of your headset, but I wasn’t sure. And if it’s not, and frame limiting could be of benefit to smooth things out. Would you frame limit exactly to the HMD refresh, or a little over? (I assume not under. HMD’s don’t actually have VRR, correct?)
    I’ve never thought about frame limiting hooked games, coz they’re always smooth.
    Cheers.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Enable VSync when you play games with the desktop viewer and the virtual monitor. That’s better than using a frame limiter. The virtual monitor automatically initializes its resolutions with the refresh rate of your headset, so VSync is not only all you need, it’s also the best thing you can do. You don’t even need to know the headset refresh rate, it just works.

While hooked into games vorpX overrides Vsync and can sync the framerate to the headset refresh rate on its own, but it can only do that while being hooked into the game. So with desktop viewer + virtual display your best option is VSync.

dellrifter22
    Participant

oh, that looks great!!

Now I won’t need to get out the calculator to figure new resolutions :)

This really unlocks the potential of a virtual monitor to be whatever we want, and lets us tune the best resolution quality possible for each game individually. Thank you for this.

And assuming that all resolutions saved are stored in vorpX config hopefully means I can now update my video drivers more regularly – without fear or losing them. Neat.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 311 total)
  • The topic ‘vorpX 23.1.0 BETA’ is closed to new replies.

Spread the word. Share this post!