Cyberpunk 2077

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Cyberpunk 2077

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    Edgenier
    Participant

I’ve read some people turn off their monitors to save some more GPU horsepower? Does this actually work (as in, result in higher VORPX FPS)? I do wonder what the impact is of showing the game both on the monitor and the headset.

nyxzus
    Participant

I’m having an issue where if something on the desktop steals focus, or I ALT-tab out of the game the headset will freeze with the game still running. It’s still on the desktop, but I get the “Steam Waiting” logo in my headset & have to close the game & restart again. Also VorpX keeps resetting my play area to where I’m below the floor.

Ogrescar
    Participant

Turning off your monitor save’s energy, but that’s about all. Your gpu doesn’t care if it’s got power or not, it’s still going to output the signal.

Edgenier
    Participant

@ nyxzus Same here for both things.

markbradley1982
    Participant

@ Kaaliba I had problems like what you described when I ran Cyberpunk full screen. It would constantly lose focus and FPS would drop. But I set it to run in a borderless window and it seems to run much better now. Try that and see if it helps. I’m on Vive though.

Kaaliba
    Participant

Thanks, markbradley1982! I’ve made significant progress in more testing tonight. I switched to “borderless window” per your suggestion, and I think things did get a bit more stable after that.

My biggest success, though, was to spend a lot of time tweaking the resolution. I think the 1600 x 1680 narrow resolution I was using was causing problems…or maybe it really was just too high a resolution. After a bunch of testing, I settled on a resolution of 1708 x 1280, and things really started improving. I found that I was able to take my settings to “High” at this resolution so long as I kept DLSS at either “Performance” or “Ultra Performance”.

One thing I did note that was very odd: Whenever I cranked my graphics settings too high and hit a very low framerate (like about 10 fps or so), the low fps got “stuck”. I could not get back to 45 fps without exiting the game and coming back. Even if I lowered the resolution to 1024 x 768 and set all graphic settings to their absolute minimum, I wasn’t able to reach a good fps. After exiting the game and coming back, I was able to crank up the settings again and still have 45 fps. Any thoughts on why things would get “stuck” like this?

Thanks again!

Ralf
    Keymaster

I’m not sure how much you customized your game settings, but for the default settings (game FOV 100.0, vorpX ImageZoom 0.62) the best aspect ratio is 16:9 as set by vorpX automatically. The resolution you have chosen would only be right if the game FOV would be high enough to exactly match your headset FOV. If in doubt, just let vorpX do its thing instead of setting the resolution manually. The DirectVR auto resolution feature is there to handle stuff like this without you having to care about it by factoring in all vorpX settings that affect the ideal aspect ratio.

Borderless window mode is probably still a good idea to avoid potential issues when switching modes. I’ll take a look at that and might force it with the next update if actual fullscreen causes issues.

BTW: If you applied an FOV hack, be aware that a higher game FOV can have a fairly huge impact on performance, a higher FOV means more has to be rendered, which means less FPS.

monazou
    Participant

@ Kaaliba

I may have a solution. I’m like you, I had fps issues. Here is what I did and my config to understand:

Config: 2060 Super, 16GB DDR4, Ryzen 5 3600 via Oculus Quest 2

At first I played in classic 1080p, but found it not terrific through the Quest 2 screen despite the fact that it runs smoothly, in high quality with a few additional settings.

So I switched to 1440p in Custom Res, and it’s definitely better in clarity via the Quest 2!

But … there is a FPS drop in mass! Even when setting the graphics to “Low”, no differences.

And I thought it came from the Oculus app. From there, I went through the Devices part, I went to Oculus Quest 2.
    I had set 90hz, I put 72hz back and I lowered the resolution!
    From x1.0 (3616×1840), I lowered to the max x0.8 (2784×1408) which amounts to almost 1440p, which is enough for me for the game and there, it seems to me to work! Maybe just x0.8 is enought, i will test.

I only test last night but will continue today and come back to give my feedback.

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you encounter framerate issues after setting the resolution higher, the best you can do is setting it back to the value that worked before. At 1440p the GPU has to push almost 2x the amount of pixels, which might just have been too much.

Also not only the game will get rendered at a higher res, vorpX also raises the resolution that is used for sending the final image to the headset in that case, so you are basically raising two resolutions at the same time. That has an even greater impact on Quest since the Oculus software does some video compression/decompression for Quest.

monazou
    Participant

@Ralph

I am well aware of it, you are absolutely right but I am trying everything possible because I will want to use the super screen of the Quest 2 ^^

“That has an even greater impact on Quest since the Oculus software does some video compression/decompression for Quest.”

By lowering the work requested by the Oculus app, I have a result.
    Maybe my solution works, I only have to test for a short time, I will do it on a longer term today. If it doesn’t work, I would go back to 1080p, but I want to test everything first ^^.

Because your work deserves great clarity if i can ;)

Kaaliba
    Participant

@Ralf and @ monazou,

Thank you both so much! This is extremely helpful. I’ll try out the suggestions as soon as I can today and report back on how it goes.

@Ralf : I’m having a bit of trouble with the DirectVR auto resolution feature, which is actually one reason why I started mucking with resolution changes on my own. I’ve followed the instructions to add all of the custom resolutions via the NVICIA Control Panel, and I seem to be able to use those custom resolutions in game. In the vorpX controls, though, I keep getting a message similar to “seems this resolution isn’t supported–add custom resolutions”. Therefore, any changes that I do to DirectVR resolution don’t seem to take effect. I actually thought that 1980 x 1080 was an error because of this, so I immediately tried changing the resolution on my own. Any thoughts as to why vorpX can’t see the available custom resolutions? I definitely may have done something wrong, but I tried to follow the instructions as precisely as possible.

Also, I was under the impression that 4:3 resolutions were best for Full VR mode in vorpX. This is another reason why I thought that 1920 x 1080 was an error related to my resolution configuration. Is Cyberpunk a case where 16:9 is actually better for full VR? Or perhaps is vorpX attempting to use a different 1080p resolution that is not working on my setup?

FYI, in my earlier testing I did try messing with an FOV hack and saw exactly the problems you mentioned. I was able to remove the letterbox using this and an increased Image Zoom, but the framerate was horrible. I therefore went back to the DirectVR FOV and Image Zoom as you said.

@ monazou: I couldn’t agree more regarding the better resolution of the Quest 2! I actually have a Rift S as well, but I much prefer to use the Quest 2 for the resolution. It’s not a Reverb G2, but it’s really good!

Kaaliba
    Participant

Ooops, just noticed that I mistakenly wrote “1980 x 1080” in my last post. “1920 x 1080” was intended. Thanks again!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Did you also add the 16:9 custom resolutions? That should do the trick in this case normally.

Your other question has no simple answer unfortunately. In this particular case, given that you didn’t apply an FOV hack and that you didn’t change any vorpX settings, the best FullVR aspect ratio is 16:9. In other games, where the actual game FOV is closer the the headset FOV, a 4:3 or 8:9 aspect ratio is best. That will also probably be the case with the next vorpX version for CP2077 once I have added an FOV hack. Figuring all this out automatically without you having to know anything about it is pretty much what the auto resolution feature is for.

Kaaliba
    Participant

Hey @Ralf!

Thanks so much for the info and your patience. Really good stuff to know!!

Indeed, I had failed to add the wide resolutions–good catch! I’ve now added all resolutions, but unfortunately I’m still having the same issue. Below is a screen grab showing the custom resolutions specifically for the 1280p resolutions (one of the resolutions that vorpX thinks is not available). Could you take a quick look to see if anything looks out of the ordinary?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rMm9_tcZ6Mkr2i35YuMttrHeoo-aKh9M/view?usp=sharing

I did a lot more testing on this and found some interesting results. I’d love your feedback on this if you have time. I used vorpX to test each of the DirectVR resolutions. After setting the DirectVR resolution, I exited Cyberpunk and SteamVR and then relaunched. For each, I recorded the new resolution of Cyberpunk after launching.

These resolutions ARE recognized by vorpX:
    1080p -> vorpX changes to 1920 x 1080
    1440p -> vorpX changes to 1920 x 1080
    2160p -> vorpX changes to 2560 x 1440

These resolutions are NOT recognized by vorpX but I still tested them:
    1280p -> vorpX changes to 1920 x 1080
    1680p -> vorpX changes to 1920 x 1080
    1920p -> vorpX changes to 2560 x 1440
    2400p -> vorpX changes to 2560 x 1440

Note that before each change, I manually changed the resolution of Cyberpunk to 1024 x 768 to ensure that all resolution changes were actually caused by vorpX and not some other factor.

Thus, it seems that on my system, vorpX will only change to 1920 x 1080 or 2560 x 1440. Is this expected?

FYI, I have two monitors. I thought perhaps this was an issue, since the NVIDIA Control Panel allows you to create custom resolutions for each monitor. I physically unplugged the second monitor and restarted my computer, though, and vorpX still did not recognize all custom resolutions.

Thanks so very much for all the help!

Ralf
    Keymaster

Sounds about right, the algorithm only chooses straight 16:9 resolutions currently. As said above that will change in the next update when an FOV hack will be available. The wide ones in the list aren’t, my bad, sorry for the confusion. Might make sense to add one in between for you if you want (e.g. 2048×1152). And now go play that game instead of changing resolutions all day!

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 371 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!