Cyberpunk VR Update Thread

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Cyberpunk VR Update Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 945 total)
  • Author
    mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

For reference I’m currently managing the following on my 3080-Ti:

Native game res: 3325×1871 (one of my easily-accessed DSR factors as my primary screen is a Sony Playstation 3D display, which is only 1080p).
    Graphics: Close to maxed across the board, but with all features that are actually handled by RT turned all the way down. That should not matter, but I’m paranoid that the game engine doesn’t really know that (for example) shadows are being handled by RT and may be wasting cycles drawing non-RT shadows anyway.
    DLSS: Quality
    RT: ON -> Ultra

The is providing an extremely crisp display for me in Cinema or Immersive mode. It’s not enough for full VR mode. But I’m very happy with those results. I’m getting 50+ fps, with the average right around 60. That’s also not sufficient for VR, as Brainwarp’s motion-smoothing is basically unusable in this title (it’s really great where it works well; such as Skyrim VR, but in some titles it’s just awful.) The nice thing is, with the HMD SYNC settings I mentioned above in anther post, there is zero stuttering or other issues. It just pushes my GPU to about 98% and pegs it there, smoothing rendering as many frames per second as it can without problem. It’s some of the smoothest performance I’ve ever seen out of vorpX.

Ilfrinam
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for the awesome Cyberpunk mod.

An idea that’s crossing my mind. Could you add some setting to toggle between alternate-eye rendering and normal stereoscopic rendering? It would make this mod more “future-proof” so in a few years with new graphics cards we can play the game with stereoscopic rendering if we want, instead of having to live with the horrible effects of alternate-eye rendering.

It could be below the 3D reconstruction setting and showed only when G3D is activated.

Also, it could be nice if we could get the same toggle in all games, not only Cyberpunk, and be able to apply AER if we need to.

Thank you very much and kind regards.

steph12
    Participant

looks like we need rtx 4000 or amd 7000 cards or better to have decent performance, i have abysmal perf with my rtx 3090, i mean when standing still it’s fine even when looking around but as soon as i use my mouse to turn around, it’s sluggish. even on high settings and nicer resolution.

but it works and looks great (when standing still), i’ll just wait for next cards to play it i guess :D

Ralf
    Keymaster

Not at all. A GTX1080/5700XT is enough for a halfway pleasent experience. With your GPU much more than that is possible.

Please take the instructions seriously though that pop up in the headset on launch: you have to be careful with graphics details, you can’t just crank everything up to ultra. With your GPU stable 60fps aren’t any problem at all with medium to high graphics details and the resolution set to ‘Great’ in the vorpX in menu, which looks pretty good and literally is done with two or three mouse clicks.

if you want to tinker a bit more with the game’s graphics settings, you can squeeze out even more with your GPU. See my reply to mr_spongeworthy two or three posts above yours for that.

steph12
    Participant

ok, i will try again, thank you Ralf for your answer.

Obneiric
    Participant

Hi Ralf, any reason why FluidSync isn’t available for this mod? From my experience, it feels much more pleasant than the current options you have for capping framerate. Cap framerate limit at 50% in this mod feels absolutely awful to me compared to vorpx’s FluidSync even though I suppose they should be doing roughly the same thing.

Ilfrinam
    Participant

Hi Ralf,

Could you at least say something about my message?

Thank you.

drowhunter
    Participant

Think about how ADS works in reality: it’s 2D either, you close one eye and aim with the other one, which of course you can still do if you want to.

I just tried it IRL, and haha not quite. Even with one eye I can still detect depth. Holding my hand in front of my face and peeking through my fingers with one eye i still need to focus closer and farther to see what I’m looking at.

It would have been really weird if closing one eye suddenly made the real world switch from G3D into Z3D. lol

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

I just tried it IRL, and haha not quite. Even with one eye I can still detect depth. Holding my hand in front of my face and peeking through my fingers with one eye i still need to focus closer and farther to see what I’m looking at.

You are talking about focal-distance, not depth-perception. True binocular depth absolutely requires 2 eyes. Our brains are simply smart enough to build depth out of flat images based on depth cues; for example our brains know that something which occludes something else must be in front of the occluded object. When in motion we also know through parallax that things which appear to be moving faster are closer than things that look like they are moving slower.

Our binocular vision doesn’t even work well at large distances; past a certain depth there is effectively zero true depth-perception; our brains just fake it for us. Here is a somewhat-interesting and very short overview to various ways we perceive depth and how it pertains to VR. http://www.hitl.washington.edu/projects/knowledge_base/virtual-worlds/EVE/III.A.1.c.DepthCues.html

Ralf
    Keymaster

Don’t want to dive too deep into the stereo/non-stereo debate since judging from experience that is a sensitive topic for some, but stereo vision is indeed just one of many cues our brain derives depth from, primarily at close range. The farther away something becomes, the more 2D cues take over. After about 15m or so there isn’t really much of a difference anymore at all between the left and right eye image, so for anything farther away 2D cues take over entirely.

About 10% of the population have either no or severely reduced stereo vision for various reasons, they entirely rely on 2D depth cues.

Fun fact: before VR became affordable, even (few) monoscopic VR headsets existed. More cost effective and less demanding.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ Ilfrinam :

Which 3D method is available heavily depends on the game, some support G3D and Z3D, others are G3D or Z3D only and some in addition recently got an AFR 3D method that works entirely differently than the (technically way more complex BTW) usual 3D creation. So that isn’t really possible. However, since alternate frame 3d recently gained more popularity than I think it actually deserves, there probably will be an AFR option for the ‘normal’ vorpX G3D too in a future build.

drowhunter
    Participant

Cool to see AFR being added as a generic option,more options = better IMO.

I have no issues with AFR when done properly.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Unfortunately the method comes with inherent issues that have nothing to do with „when done properly“. If you guys consider that good enough, I‘ll follow, but you should be aware that AFR 3D is more of a stopgap than anything else. Some of the problems that arise from rendering each eye at a different point in time can be tricked away under certain conditions, others can‘t. If this really was a good way to do 3D, everyone would do it all the time just because it’s so much easier.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

By any chance does this cause some glitches regarding shadows? I’m having some strange issues here and there, like a huge shadow suddenly overlaying things (and causing the fps to drop), and then going away in a second or so. Even half a second maybe.

If it’s a known artifact of using this I won’t bother trying to troubleshoot it. If it’s something only for me I’ll do a full clean-install of Cyberpunk (except for the save files) and see if that fixes it.

BTW, I vote for a hotkey that can switch between AFR and Z3D, just like the G3D/Z3D switch.

Ralf
    Keymaster

AFR 3D is implemented by manipulating the game’s camera in this case not on the Direct3D level, so except for the TAA shimmer it can’t really introduce glitches that aren’t present in the game engine itself.

The hotkey sounds like a good idea.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 945 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!