vorpX 21.2.3 Available Now

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion vorpX 21.2.3 Available Now

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

I see, that might very well be the issue. vorpX works better if you don’t force reprojection. Either set it to off, which I think is the WMR default without the developer tools installed, or to auto, but don’t force it on. With auto you will get reprojection when you enable ‘FluidSync’ in the vorpX menu.

Typically it’s best to have the headset thread running at the full refresh rate though, which works as good as one could hope for with WMRs OpenXR implementation.

That’s actually the major advantage of OpenXR for WMR headsets in contrast to WMR over SteamVR, which was extremely finnicky in respect to game/headset syncing. Not anymore with OpenXR. Uneven framerate ratios (e.g. 70/90) or game framerates below 45fps that both were a juddery mess with WMR over SteamVR now work as intended. vorpX is designed to handle that, just didn’t work right with WMR over SteamVR.

Picdelag
    Participant

Okay i see.

I will give some more feedback after my tests.

What do you think about SWBF2 and other Ansel games? Like i said, no problem on my side, surely because i disabled Geforce Experience overlay.

I really think disabling Ansel would be a better solution. No downside like this compared to your second solution. And it’s surely way easier to implement “without downside”…

Don’t know, never used this, and not sure if Ansel make sense at all with VorpX…

Ralf
    Keymaster

The second solution would be the one without any downsides. I never used Ansel myself either, but maybe someone wants to, so I’d like to avoid disabling it if possible.

Picdelag
    Participant

I see.

If no downside i’m ok with it!

But i use some mods, launching the game via FrostyModManager.

It just load the mods and the game together.

Hope it doesn’t have downside also this way if…

Picdelag
    Participant

It’s fixed Ralf!

One of this step fixed it :
    -Resetting the default settings. (I don’t see why it could have gone wrong… but maybe?)
    -Turning on ‘Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling”. Was disabled before.

I’m keeping the motion reprojection forced with the toolkit and everything seems fine now! 45fps with not drop.

Enabling FluidSync did not kick the reprojection in if i’m not forcing it…
    Is it a bug/an issue?

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you happen to have the developer OpenXR build forced in the dev tool, try switching to the regular one. Using the regular one should enable reprojection with FluidSync.

Picdelag
    Participant

I don’t see this option, where it is ?

The “beta” one? sorry i use the french version…

Ralf
    Keymaster

In the OpenXR developer tools there should be a switch that says “Use Latest OpenXR runtime preview”. Slightly Above the motion reprojection options in the dev tools. If you have that on, just set it to off.

BTW: If you enable the developer preview runtime, always expect to get what you asked for: a developer preview that isn’t ready yet for general use.

RuinerD
    Participant

Good day! Do we need to install the openxr dev tools for WMR headsets to reap the benefits of the recent Vorpx update? Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

No. I’d actually advise against that to make your life easier – and as a side effect also mine. :) Unless you have really good reason to tinker with unstable developer previews (i.e. unless you are a developer), stick to what Microsoft considers ready for general use.

RuinerD
    Participant

Thanks, Ralf!

apollon01
    Participant

Hi Ralf and thanks for the OpenXR update. It works very well on my end (HP Reverb G2).

Could you, if you have a minute, provide some light-tech info on the following topics, as I feel a bit lost and would appreciate understanding a bit more of what goes on under the hood?

Say the game runs at 35 fps.

Scenario 1: OpenXR (non-latest dev built) set on “no reprojection”
    Do I understand correctly that it is vorpX who does the full reprojection work to get the headset run at 90 fps using the 35 fps from the game?

Scenario 2: OpenXR (non-latest dev built) se on “auto reprojection” – so able to reproject from 30 fps (mind the game runs at 35 fps)
    Who does the reprojection to the 90 fps on headset end? Is it the OpenXR that takes the 35 fps from the game and makes it 90 fps by its reprojection tech? Or does vorpX play its role here too?

Scenario 3: What if the game runs below 30 fps and therefore the OpenXR (non-latest dev built) is not able to reproject?

Based on the above, what approach do you actually recommend as for the setting in OpenXR and vorpX?

In this thread I read you stating that OpenXR should either be on auto or no reprojection. Is there a preference here?
    And how to change the vorpX FluidSyinc setting in relation to the reprojection setting in OpenXR?

Sorry for a long question but I am trying to figure out the best playing field between these two applications.

Thanks!

Ralf
    Keymaster

If you want to make your life easier – and as a side effect also mine – uninstall the developer tool. Unless you have really good reason to tinker with unstable developer previews (i.e. unless you are a developer), stick to what Microsoft considers ready for general use.

Currently vorpX does not handle reprojection as intended when you have the latest developer preview runtime enabled in dev tools. Without the developer preview runtime enabled you may set reprojection to auto, that will enable reprojection with FluidSync. Whether or not that will be the final behavior has not been decided yet though.

One a sidenote: did I mention that the developer preview runtime is a developer preview runtime? :)

apollon01
    Participant

“One a sidenote: did I mention that the developer preview runtime is a developer preview runtime? :)”

Yep, got it :-)

I am using the OpenXR dev tools for the MSFS 2020 as it allows also the 22.5 fps reprojection (yes, with the latest preview enabled) and it runs very well. So it is unlikely I will uninstall it completely.

But I understand that for vorpX, I need just to disable the latest dev preview and with the reprojection on audo and with the FluidSync it should work.

That’s what I was after. Thanks Ralf!

apollon01
    Participant

Btw just to check:

I suppose you meant FluidSync ON in vorpX, right?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 180 total)
  • The topic ‘vorpX 21.2.3 Available Now’ is closed to new replies.

Spread the word. Share this post!