vorpX 23.1.0 BETA

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion vorpX 23.1.0 BETA

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 311 total)
  • Author
    Ralf
    Keymaster

For stuff like the pipboy little gestures like the wrist flip are perfect. Currently there is only an inwards flip, but at least up will come shortly in addition to that for two more possible actions. Not sure whether down/outwards make much sense for even more, feels a bit weird for my taste, but I guess it can‘t hurt. Also there will definitely be a backpack (inventory) gesture shortly.

I played a whole lot of Fallout 3, which is one of my alltime favorites, with motion controllers years ago, long before gestures. With Touch controllers admittedly, but Index shouldn‘t feel too different. Really boils down to getting used to it, you weren’t born with a gamepad in your hands either. Afterwards it’s truly human being with free hands (motion controllers) vs. squirrel nibbling nuts (gamepad). And that is without gestures. Add aiming down sights, throwing grenades etc. to that. I think you get the picture. Leave your comfort zone, pays off. I’m notorious for saying ‘can’t promise anything’ here fairly often, in this regard I can say the opposite with confidence. :)

Can‘t really imagine how vorpX might affect your VSync issue while not hooked into a game, but I‘ll double check that, of course.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

OK, here is the vsync dea: It’s not respecting the current refresh of my HMD but instead assuming a refresh of 90hz. So if I set it to 60 (for example) a game won’t stop gaining frames until it hits 90. I hadn’t noticed that as my quality settings never allowed them to get that high. So it is (likely) working properly for 90/90 and 45/90 configurations, but not for 60hz or 75hz configurations. Looking at Windows advanced display properties I can see that the refresh is still set as 90 even if I have actually set the HMD to less than that.
    Oh, and the the display scaling issues I reported a while back; turns out that’s a known Windows quantity. The OS does not like scaling when combined with multiple screens. IF you have two displays plugged in all the time, and they are both set to the same scaling factor, apparently you can get it to work. I now have a headless display adapter (for testing purposes), and plugging that in / unplugging it messes up my nice scaled display. So does activating the vorpX virtual display. Nothing you can do about it, it’s just a Windows thing. I’ve switched back to regular 1080p and living with my icons getting knocked all over the place. Oh well.

Tambora
    Participant

@ Tambora:

Does the AFR3D method (DirectVR in the menu) not work anymore? That should actually be better than the prior G3D since it works with all shadows.

No. The DirectVR option is not available in the menu, it’s not there. I tried all the settings in the menu, reinstalling the game, reinstalling Vorpx beta, deleting save folder, etc. im only getting the z3d option…

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ Tambora:

vorpX should install a mod to the game folder. If you use other mods, please remove them for testing, they might interfere. Expecially camera mods, but also others. The way TW3 handles mods unfortunately can make even completely unrelated (script) mods interfere.

@ mr_spongeworthy:

You have to let vorpX hook into a game (or the desktop viewer) once after changing your headset refresh rate, it will then tell the display driver what refresh rate the headset reports. The display driver can’t be aware of refresh rate changes before vorpX tells it about them and it can’t change its refresh rate on the fly while it is running.

If you change your headset refresh rate ten times per day, make sure to disable the desktop viewer in between. Guess there needs to be yet another safeguard to cover cases were someone changes their headset refresh rate all day long. ;) Fool as I am I truly thought at least every edge case that may happen with a reasonable probability was covered. Very wrong I was.

BTW: Of course all of that only works if the headset doesn’t report garbage, and since it’s Pimax… Just kidding, fairly unlikely. obviously the whole enchilada only works on the virtual display, not your actual display. Just in case.

In general: when you want to report things you believe to be bugs, please send and an e-mail with a trouble shoot archive (config app) to support at vorpx com. This forum guesswork just doesn’t work, I need actual insight. It’s really kind of you to test so much, but most of the conversations the both if us have here in the end are largely fruitless back and forth about guesses and assumptions. Can’t promise that I will reply to every report you send, but if you want to help, which I’m grateful for, that really helps: trouble shoot archive to support at vorpx com.

The alternative would be some community manager taking conversations like ours off my plate, which wouldn‘t really help anyone. I very much prefer to get information unfiltered.

mr_spongeworthy
    Participant

@Ralf, Well, it would probably help if really laid out the steps I took before mentioning something, but my posts are already lengthy as heck…

I have already tested that process: 1) Set refresh rate in PiTool to 90 2) Enable Virtual Monitor manually 3) Look at refresh in Advanced setting for the virtual monitor 4) Disable Virtual Monitor 5) Set refresh to 75hz 5) Re-enable virtual monitor 6) Check refresh (still 90) 7) Disable virtual monitor and completely quit vorpX 8) Launch vorpX again and re-enable virtual monitor 9) Check refresh again (still 90)

Only thing I haven’t tried yet is doing a full restart after I change the refresh in PiTool. (PiTool does report the correct refresh to SteamVR and PimaxXR, so it *probably* isn’t PiTool, but that software truly is trash, so…) I’ll try that but will report results via. email as requested!

Ralf
    Keymaster

In general: when you want to report things you believe to be bugs, please send and an e-mail with a trouble shoot archive (config app) to support at vorpx com. This forum guesswork just doesn’t work, I need actual insight. It’s really kind of you to test so much, but most of the conversations the both if us have here in the end are largely fruitless back and forth about guesses and assumptions. Can’t promise that I will reply to every report you send, but if you want to help, which I’m grateful for, that really helps: trouble shoot archive to support at vorpx com.

The alternative would be some community manager taking conversations like ours off my plate, which wouldn‘t really help anyone. I very much prefer to get information unfiltered.

petey53
    Participant

After losing all my custom profiles after reinstalling to get this working I don’t seem to be able to import my profiles from the cloud… I can import others off there? two recent ones I made – enderal forgotten stories (ss) special edition version and AFTERLIFE: KILLING DEATH are two that I can’t import, are some profiles not compatible with this beta? it would help if someone on this beta could see if they can import those profiles and let me know.

dellrifter22
    Participant

Yeah, it seems that any cloud profiles created or saved while using the betas are not compatible with other version of vorpX yet. I’m guessing it’s a safeguard vorpX has when it doesn’t recognize a newer version number. But I’ll admit it is the more painful part of using the beta for me, as I can’t really upload any new cloud profiles or updates to old ones – as most can’t see or import them.

The other small annoyance is that any changes made to profile settings are automatically saved upon closing the menu, and not only upon clicking “save” or “save and close” – and therefore there is no reverting back from accidental or experimental changes. At least this was with the first beta. I admit I have not had time yet to test the newest build.

petey53
    Participant

Dam that’s annoying, I had many perfect profiles I had made and can’t remember how I managed to get most of them working… I didn’t realise about the saving on exit thing either with the beta, thanks for warning us about that.

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ both

I‘ll take a look at the profile import/export ASAP (i.e. today) and let you now. There is indeed a versioning system as dellrifter correctly assumed, but normally it only ensures that newer profiles can‘t be loaded with older vorpX versions, which may cause unpredictable issues. Not the other way around. It should always be possible to load/import older profiles with newer versions. vorpX in fact takes great care of translating potential settings changes from older profiles to newer versions if necessary to ideally (at least in theory) never break existing profiles. That’s the point of profile versioning actually.

Can‘t recall anything I might have changed recently that affects the versioning system, but I‘ll check the profiles you mentioned above. Something apparently has changed.

@ dellrifter

Please use the OK button in the menu for temporary changes. I changed the behavior of closing the menu with the menu key on purpose a while ago. Auto save on close is more in line with how many modern games handle their settings menus.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Brief update:

There is a bug related to the addition of gesture settings to profiles that causes a crash when importing petey53’s profiles. Good news is that the profile I checked itself seems to be intact, so the work you put into it is almost certainly not lost. I should be able do work around the problem.

Will require an update that deals with the matter though. I’ll let you know here when it is ready.

Not sure yet if dellrifter’s upload issue is related, but that seems likely.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Update is up, reinstalling with the beta web installer should solve the import problem.

Can’t entirely rule out that Windows Defender will freak out again for the first downloaders. Let it do its security check thing. Went through without issues for me.

@ dellrifter: this will probably also address your upload problem. If not let me know.

Cless_Aurion
    Participant

The new beta version 100% breaks VorpX for me.
    Desktop is unstable, and when trying to just run games “the regular way” without using VorpX desktop, they just all crash when trying to hook the game.
    Should I just… go back to the previous beta?

Cless_Aurion
    Participant

For some reason I can’t edit my previous post.
    Update:
    Apparently some games do work, some others don’t. It seems kind of random, and all of them worked perfectly with the older beta.

Ralf
    Keymaster

That‘s not really enough information to give any advice at all unfortunately. Please create a trouble shoot archive in the config app and send it to support at vorpx com.

In your e-mail please try to be more precise about what issues you encounter. Try to describe what happens (or doesn’t happen) to give me an idea what you might mean by don‘t work.

—-

If by work/don‘t work you mean vorpX can‘t hook into games, please first try the trouble shoot options that pop up in the ‚Attaching To…‘ dialog after a while (especially installing hook helpers). if that does not help, check the usual hooking conflict trouble shoot steps in the pinned trouble shoot post in the technical support forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 311 total)
  • The topic ‘vorpX 23.1.0 BETA’ is closed to new replies.

Spread the word. Share this post!