Starfield Hype Train – CHOO CHOO!

Homepage Forums General vorpX Discussion Starfield Hype Train – CHOO CHOO!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    romandesign
    Participant

I leave you the gameplay video with my profile

Thank you very much for this! Can I please bother you with a few more questions:
    – What do you mean by “my profile”? Can you share the profile?
    – Can you share detailed settings for VorpX and Starfield?
    – How are the FPS vs resolution? It seems relatively smooth for a VR recording. What settings and Starfield mods did you use to get this performance? DLSS? What HMD and GPU do you have? Are you able to maintain 45+ fps everywhere? With my hardware, I should at least be able to reproduce your performance.
    – Someone said 3D is not working and needs a “third-party driver”. But you appear to have a full VR and stereoscopic 3D. Can you elaborate on your setup? Looks like you are using Virtual Desktop? Or are you just using it for recording? Otherwise how would you do full VR instead of just a virtual display? I understand now that it’s only zadaptive / znormal (which one should I use?). I am a “VR conesseur” but it is what it is. If I can’t have real 3D I’d have to settle for this.
    – In general – will you be going through the full game in Starfield like this? Would you buy VorpX just for this?

romandesign
    Participant

I bought VorpX and tried 0.2 alpha profile, and in general, it works, however, I have some problems:

– The picture seems distorted when I move my head: it’s warping, like looking through a thick glass maybe, the perspective seems not to be correct, especially closer to the edges. This is very disorienting. How can I fix this? If I start reducing zoom below 0.95 I see black borders.
    – With the resolution set to 2880×2884 the mouse cursor stops at the top and bottom before reaching the end of the screen, as if there’s a letterbox for it. So some menus etc. are unreachable.
    – I also have some wobble in closer objects. This may be motion reprojection artifacts, not sure.
    – I tried installing “Starfield Frame Generation” mod but the game crashes. This may be the mod problem or a conflict with VorpX.

romandesign
    Participant

I have a suspicion that my POV settings from StarfieldCustom.ini are ignored…

Ralph
    Participant

I have a suspicion that my POV settings from StarfieldCustom.ini are ignored…

I bought VorpX and tried 0.2 alpha profile, and in general, it works, however, I have some problems:

– The picture seems distorted when I move my head: it’s warping, like looking through a thick glass maybe, the perspective seems not to be correct, especially closer to the edges. This is very disorienting. How can I fix this? If I start reducing zoom below 0.95 I see black borders.
    – With the resolution set to 2880×2884 the mouse cursor stops at the top and bottom before reaching the end of the screen, as if there’s a letterbox for it. So some menus etc. are unreachable.
    – I also have some wobble in closer objects. This may be motion reprojection artifacts, not sure.
    – I tried installing “Starfield Frame Generation” mod but the game crashes. This may be the mod problem or a conflict with VorpX.

detailed answer here:

Starfield Alpha v0.2

romandesign
    Participant

OK, for those interested, here’s my experience with VorpX + Starfield so far:

– Alpha 0.2 profile works, as long as you remove the brackets from the FOV settings.
    – Full VR is amazing! I see no perspective distortions now, everything looks great! Very immersive.
    – Head Tracking works well, but on Reverb G2 it’s very sensitive. I get micro jitters literally from blood pulsing in my veins! Not sure how it can be rectified, but it’s annoying. The effect is that when I’m walking or looking around – everything is fine, but when I’m standing still, I get these micro jitters
    – FPS is good so far, but I only went through the first take-off. I’m on 7950X3D CPU and RTX 4090 GPU, so literally the fastest gaming PC currently available. It feels fluid with motion reprojection enabled and holding at 45FPS. I will try disabling Motion Reprojection and see if it can push 90FPS at all times, but chances are it can’t, so MR should stay enabled. This is with DLSS mod and 2880×2884 resolution. I have all settings on HIGH, the rest as recommended by the profile.
    – Resolution: surprisingly sharp. I’m using OpenXR Toolkit’s CAS sharpening at 100%, but any sharpening should be OK. It’s actually much better than I expected. I might try to increase resolution if FPS holds in big cities etc. but I’d be happy if I can use this resolution. It allows me to appreciate the graphics that really looks very nice.
    – 3D. This is my biggest disappointment so far. When it works, it looks quite well. Not as good as real VR, but close. The problem is I have all kinds of random wobbles, pixelated square wobbles on top of the screen, and just random wobbles all around. They disappear if I disable 3D. The funny thing is that sometimes they are there, and then they disappear – the same view, but where the top 1/4 of the view was wobbling in little squares like crazy it’s suddenly just perfect. I can’t understand what’s causing it, because it’s intermittent but extremely annoying. Another thing about it is that farther objects look nice, but my own hands and a weapon are atrocious. It’s so bad that I can’t see the bullet count on a pistol and aiming down sights is very difficult because all shapes are distorted and randomly squished. Hands look like Minecraft blocks instead of… well… hands. The image is fine, but the 3D part is extremely blocky. Same with weapons, they don’t look smoothly 3D, instead, it’s like a series of blocks that don’t match geometry at all. Horrible. I hope it can somehow be improved. I will try disabling Motion Reprojection, and DLSS, to see if it’s related. But I suspect both are necessary for smooth FPS even with my hardware.
    – Controls: Most controls are quite nice and usable. Head tracking works well – it’s exactly a 90-degree turn in the game when I turn my head 90 degrees. It’s slightly weird to interact with stuff that way, but not too bad. But the v0.2 profile doesn’t have any gestures programmed. They work though, if I add them manually. Then, with aiming down sights gesture, aiming with my head is not that bad, as I move my hands with my head anyway, when aiming, just like with a real weapon in the shooting range. Shooting from the hip still feels weird, but not too bad. Down sights is better. Maybe removing the reticle completely from the HUD would be a good idea – more immersive and realistic – it would force you to shoot down sights. So controls are as good as can be expected. However many ship controls are missing, there is no way to redistribute energy to systems, no missile fire etc. The keys that the game notified me about are not on the controllers. Head tracking doesn’t work for looking around cockpit – instead it steers the ship! Very confusing. But it can be overridden by a thumbstick, as long as my head isn’t moving. I’ll have to see if I can figure it out. Possibly I’m going to program my joystick/hotas to emulate a 360 controller for ships, and then map buttons to controller buttons. But looks like I’ll have to stair forward all the time while piloting, or head tracking will steer the ship.
    – mouse pointer is blocked at the bottom and can’t get to the bottom menu buttons, using both head or mouse.

Overall, it definitely a great deal more immersive than a 2D screen. I’m not going back, for sure. Worth the price. I just hope I can get rid of those 3D wobbles… They ruin half the fun.

romandesign
    Participant

The fugly gun issue is a Starfield bug, apparently, unrelated to VorpX. Here’s how my starter pistol looks: https://ibb.co/mS9SGzj – horrible, can’t aim down sites etc. Every weapon is low-poly and distorted like that, but only in 1st person POV. If I switch to 3rd person – it looks fine. Back to 1st – fugly again. And 3D blockiness doesn’t help. The whole hands+weapons area is a mess, as a result…

Ralph
    Participant
    cole00
    Participant

is that your profile or Ralphs?

Ralf
    Keymaster

No official profile available yet.

I was on vacation – windsurfing without wind ;) – for the last two weeks and thus haven’t looked into the game yet. Not that I didn’t try, due to the mildly infurating lack of wind I had a lot more time at hand than I wanted to. The laptop I had with me just didn’t cut it unfortunately though.

As most of the time with larger first person titles you can shortly expect a profile with lots of settings automation and all the extra bells and whistles I can muster, including (if possible) low latency DirectVR head tracking which directly accesses the game camera, and (definitely) motion controller gestures.

The motion controller stuff alone will almost certainly make this the closest-to-native-VR way of playing the game.

romandesign
    Participant

The motion controller stuff alone will almost certainly make this the closest-to-native-VR way of playing the game.

I modified Alpha v0.2 profile locally to include gestures and it works beautifully!
    Also added more quick menu mappings and changed/added key mapping on controllers to include more of the necessary keys, and shortcuts for map and inventory.
    Would there be a way to merge my control mapping and gestures with the official profile somehow, when it’s added? Like copying a few lines to XML file or something? I just bought VorpX few days ago so I’m unfamiliar with how the profiles work.

As most of the time with larger first person titles you can shortly expect a profile with lots of settings automation and all the extra bells and whistles I can muster,

Would it be possible to include a mappable shortcut for temporarily disabling “mouse look” headtracking? There is a specific problem with Starfield in the way the game controls are implemented: it can support keyboard/mouse AND gamepad but not at the same time! Any input from one TAKES OVER all controls. During FPS shooter mode everything is OK as VorpX just emulates the head tracking as a mouse and VR controllers as a keyboard. But there is a problem when you get to spaceship piloting: steering with head tracking is horrible, just as bad as it sounds. So you’d want to use a gamepad (or in my case – joystick/hotas/pedals mounted to the motion seat I built and mapped through the X360 gamepad emulator), and it works fine, but the problem is that you have to keep your head absolutely still! And this is virtually impossible as you naturally tend to follow the target with your look. The game tracks it as using a mouse and cancels all gamepad controls, using your head movement instead. Often just when you are ready to shoot – your ship veers to a completely wrong direction. It’s extremely disorienting and inconvenient. If mouselook can be easily paused in space, that problem could be solved.

I also read that it is possible to look around in the cockpit by holding Q key or “change view” controller button, but I didn’t test it yet. Though it sounds like this would cancel the ship control and is used just for a quick lookaround. So the best would still be a head-tracking pause function. Maybe it already exists and I just haven’t found it yet?

Important note: It’s actually important that VorpX emulates the keyboard/mouse and not the controller, because it’s not just me – any simmer would like to use the joystick for spaceship piloting. Bethesda already made a huge mistake of not supporting joysticks, but that is solvable through the X360CE emulator. But it means the gamepad should remain free from VorpX so it can be used for piloting.

On a side note: it would be nice if the little square labels on the controller buttons could actually reflect functions and not just key names, somewhat like key menus, or show both functions and keys. There are many keys (normal+shift) and it’s difficult to remember all their functions. If VorpX uses images, maybe at least include a small library of common assignable labels used in games that can be specified like “map”, “inventory”, “grenade”, “crouch”, “weapons”, “menu” , “camera”, “zoom” etc.

Ralf
    Keymaster

Control bindings are stored in the user portion of profiles, so you should be able to configure the official profile the same way. Unfortunately there is no merge/transfer utility though. However, if you don’t mind I’d happily take a look at what you did so far and factor it into the official profile as much as that makes sense.

If I can get DirectVR (memory scanner) head tracking working, the mouse/gamepad issue won’t be an issue anymore. That’s how this gets addressed in other Bethesda games. So far that worked out in all of them, so I’m reasonably hopeful. Fingers crossed.

What you can do in user profiles in such cases is enabling the X-Box gamepad override and mapping mouse/keyboard to the gamepad. Resolving headtracking conflicts like this one is actually what the override is made for primarily. If you are lucky, a partial override of the right stick will suffice. Judging from older Bethesda games you’ll probably need a full override (and remap everything) though.

The action label idea is noted under ‘nice to have’. Not something I’ll be able to whip up on short notice though. Requires extending the labeling system quite a bit.

cole00
    Participant

what are motion gestures? i mean.. i have an idea i think but how do they work?

romandesign
    Participant

Somehow A post I typed in has disappeared…

if you don’t mind I’d happily take a look at what you did so far and factor it into the official profile as much as that makes sense.

I shared my profile online – hope I did it correctly, it’s called “Starfield – RomanDesign”.

If I can get DirectVR (memory scanner) head tracking working, the mouse/gamepad issue won’t be an issue anymore.

I’m not sure I understand. Does it mean that aiming and mouselook can be separated? If so, is it feasible to track VR controller movements in the air to control aiming, while headtracking would be used for looking? That would almost be like full motion controller support, too good to be true. But what DirectVR head tracking means then?

What you can do in user profiles in such cases is enabling the X-Box gamepad override and mapping mouse/keyboard to the gamepad.

What’s very important for me and I’m sure for many others, is joystick support. I use emulator to make my joysticks/hotas/pedals appear as a gamepad for the game, allowing me to pilot ships with a joystick. If I use the override, both joystick and VR controllers would act as a gamepad then, won’t it cause conflicts?

BTW is there a way to “subscribe” to this topic so I get email notifications?

Ralf
    Keymaster

@ cole00

Motion controller gestures are a new feature in the upcoming vorpX release, currently available as a beta:

vorpX 23.1.0 BETA

@ romandesign

DirectVR head tracking:

DirectVR (memory scanner) tracking mainly means that head tracking data from the headset is directly written to a game’s camera values in memory. The main advantages are super low latency and perfect 1:1 tracking without the need to tweak any sensitivity values. There are *some* vorpX profiles that also separate head/body rotation, e.g. Cyberpunk in the vorpX beta (or standalone mod), but that requires even more game specific work. Might be possible for Starfield down the road once Bethesda releases the modding tools.

Technically the memory scanner scans through a game’s memory in a reasonably clever way to automatically find the game camera. Once the addresses are known vorpX adds head tracking data directly to the game’s internal camera rotation/position instead of simulating a mouse for head rotation.

Just wait and see. Provided things work out as they did in all other Bethesda RPGs all you will have to do is pressing a button, and – poof – you have perfect 1:1 6DOF tracking with a camara FOV that just as perfectly matches the FOV of your headset.

Gamepad override:

The gamepad override is a decently feature rich mouse/kb > gamepad remapping tool, built directly into vorpX. Whether the input comes from an actual gamepad or a joystick doesn’t matter. The important thing to understand is that by mapping gamepad/joystick input to mouse/keyboard controls it let’s you use gamepads/joysticks together with mouse based head tracking even if a game can’t handle simultaneous mouse/gamepad input.

You won’t have to care about any of that once the official profile is ready. It’ll either have DirectVR tracking, which resolves this issue perfectly, or at least I’ll preconfigure the gamepad mapper to work out of the box with the game.

romandesign
    Participant

You won’t have to care about any of that once the official profile is ready.

When do you expect the profile to be released, roughly speaking? Few days, a week, a few weeks?

For anyone interested in performance and general experience:

My goal with Reverb G2 is to maintain stable >45fps performance so Motion Reprojection can up it to 90Hz properly and smoothly. With the minimal acceptable resolution and graphic quality even 7950X3D + RTX4090 PC can’t reach and maintain 90fps. But in VR, I think no major game can, even made for VR. So slightly more than 45fps is a good goal to lock at. MR can induce slight warping artifacts sometimes, but that’s unavoidable and not very noticeable during the game. It is noticeable in menus, but it’s not that important or annoying there, because who cares. I can’t really see a noticeable difference between High and Ultra settings in game, and I started having weird shadow and lighting artifacts that may be connected to Ultra settings, so I set everything to High. It worked smoothly.

I now adjusted the resolution to the maximum reasonable resolution for Reverb G2, so I can get the best picture I can. Reverb’s native resolution is 2100×2100 but the image must be larger to allow for barrel distortion compensation to still retain the center resolution of the image. My StarfieldPrefs.ini settings are:

iSize H=3056
    iSize W=3060

And I added a matching virtual monitor resolution to VorpX. I also installed DLSS mod with v2.5 DLSS dll.

Running around New Atlantis sometimes becomes slightly non-smooth, so I think it does dip below 45 fps sometimes, though I couldn’t see it in OpenXR Toolkit overlay, which showed solid 45fps. But all other places, or inside buildings in New Atlantis were silky smooth so far. Once eye distance is properly set in VorpX (0.66 in my case) the 3D is very decent, though I notice occasional halos around objects, people, weapons, and sometimes there is a “flat cutout” feel to some people. But it still beats a flat universe.

Full VR feels like full VR. Sometimes when rotating head fast I can notice black borders lagging on the sides. Maybe when the official profile is out with DirectVR the latency will be better. It’s not a big deal.

Piloting a ship is not great, because head rotation does the steering and you can’t look around – the cockpit stays with you, like in a dialog scene etc. Normally such scenes work best with peak mode, but dogfighting in space is best full VR. I have to force myself not to rotate my head, which overrides my joystick (through the gamepad emulator), but it still sometimes overrides it, so flying is possible, but it’s a bit of a mess. Hopefully to be improved in the official profile.

The biggest issue for me is a small view jitter when I sit still. Sometimes it’s in time with my pulse! I know some people have this issue with Reverb G2 in MSFS (not me) so it seems that head tracking is too sensitive. I wish there would be a way to do a low-pass filter, to filter out tiny head movements. There’s one in OpenXR Toolkit, but it doesn’t work with Motion Reprojection. Lowering sensitivity doesn’t help much, because then the world is not in sync with your head. When you’re walking it’s fine, it’s just when you’re standing it’s noticeable.

Overall, it feels really close to a VR game, and for me, VorpX is really worth the price. I wouldn’t play a time-consuming game in pancake mode, but passable VR means everything. But I do have a top-of-the-line PC that I use for work and gaming – 7950X3D CPU (liquid cooled) + RTX4090 GPU + 64Gb DDR5 RAM, 4 fast SSDs. I’m not sure what would be the minimal hardware requirements for passable performance. For me the performance is good, considering it’s a kind of a hack instead of a game optimized for VR.

Here’s what’s missing or would be nice to have:

– Obviously what’s really missing is motion controller support. We can dream, can’t we? Maybe someone will figure out how to do independent aiming – some games can have mouse aiming with the keyboard moving/look, where the aim can be moved around the screen, without moving the view. If that could be achieved, maybe Ralph could map the right motion controller movement to aiming and we’d have a reasonable approximation of proper motion controllers.

– Geometry3D would be nice, but AFAIK it can’t work with DX12 games. Some work with alternate eye rendering, though I think I can feel the flicker. The way it is now, feels very smooth. Cyberpunk mod with alternate eye rendering felt rougher to me…

– Vibration feedback – @Ralph, that should be easy to do – maybe add an option to have a trigger press on the right controller to generate a strong vibration “tick”? It doesn’t have to be game-dependent, but would still be nice. For example, I programmed a short jerk of my motion seat based on joystick trigger presses, and a short vibration on my transducers, and it feels great in space. It would be nice to feel recoil in the controller.

– Filter for smoothing out tiny head movements or head tracking jitter.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 202 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the word. Share this post!